“Another great room with a view!”

Catalonia Barcelona Plaza
Ranked #202 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Taxi from the airport to the hotel in no time at all.
On entering the hotel, I could see this was a busy hotel. However, the service at the reception was great. They gave us information on what was around the area with no prompting.
Our room was at the front of the hotel and facing the fountain.
As we were there in February, they had a fountain show when it got dark. There was also a massive celebration which was well organised and officially closed the road. It was great watching this with a glass of red!
The sightseeing bus runs from across the roundabout. The standard stuff.
I would stay in this hotel again.

The food in the restaurant was amazing, but not cheap.
There is also a basic restaurant there and the breakfast area has a big seating area with plenty of choice. Well organised.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front. If you are looking at the hotel from the front, the right hand side...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Interlaken1
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Barcelona Plaza

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This was our first trip to Barcelona and the aiportbus dropped us right in front of the hotel which was great. After a later check in and a very flustered Mata gave us our room key and informed us that the hotel was fully booked( seems to be the the hotel of choice for the departure point for cruise ships). We walked towards our room with no assistance with luggage and getting closer to our room the place wreaked of cigarettes and the rooms across all had there doors open and were really noisy. I walked into the room and it too stunk of cigarettes, being an ex-smoker it made it all the more offensive. The room safe had a whole in it and I went back downstairs to enquire what was wrong with it. Mata informed us that we needed to leave a 30 euro deposit for a lock ad key and it wasn't broken. I just didn't understad why that wasn'textended when we checked in???. I also asked if there was any chance to change rooms as the view was of a derelict construction sight, noisy neighbours (well into the early morning hours) and stale nictine stench. Mata advised in a rather annyoed manner that we would have to see tomorrow morning but there were no guarentees. This was really a terrible start to our stay. The next morning my partner had come to terms with the smell but I hadn't. After reakfast we went back to the room and itreally was unbearable. I even started to feel like having a cigarette. I went down and obviously there was a different shift on duty at the front desk andwe were greeted very warmly by "Linda". She was truly and angel, she advised we could upgrade our rooms to either non smoking, non-smoking with a view and the newest rooms on level 7 which were magnificent (some with views) for an extra upto 35 euros. When chose the non-smoking room with a view; after all it was our first visit to Barcelona. Linda went out of her way to show us all our room options, even showing us, up to the pool on the roof top, the gym and spa. It was a far cry from the way we were initially greeted upon checking in. Linda was wonderful through our stay providing maps and pointers for this to do The metro station again is just outside the hotel as is the Arena shops, food court, supermarket and laundry drop off. I understand Mata was overworked and stressed on our arrival but she could definately learn from Linda the importance of making a paying guest feel welcomed in her home city. Later on when I did ask Mata where I could go shopping and that I save all my money to spend there rather than shop the other European countries she smiledfor the first time and happily pointed the best places where the locals shop. I understand she may have had an off day but it did make me question would I come back. If not for the lovely Linda she really made the rest of our stay a wonderful one. The breakfast was good and thank god for the coffee machines. The wifi wasn't great except in the lobby.

Room Tip: Higher floors are a definate must and specify you want a non smoking room! The view is spectaculr so...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hensmal

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing this extensive review!

I am happy to hear your nice comments about our staff and especially to Linda as well as the convenient location of the hotel itself.
I appreciate your honest input and apologize for the issues you encountered.
We will share your comments with our team as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience.
I really hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town so we may show you the complete quality stay you deserve.
Best regards,

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I chose this hotel according to the comments on trip adviser, let me tell you exactly the negatives and positives:
1- Location is not central it is special as it is near the Arena Mall, and infront the fountain.. two places that you need to visit once, but other than that it is far from Rambla and Catalonia or the beach which are Barcelona's most lovely central places.
2- The only positive I see that the Metro station is right at the hotel door, and the TMB from and to Airport is across the street.
3- At first day even after telling the staff by email that it is our wedding anniversary they gave us a very bad room which is looking at the basement! I made a small fight and got a better room after the second day.
4- Breakfast buffet is huge... but not tasty... staff working at the restaurant are very rude.They know nothing about service or customers.
5- About rooms are not as expected at all... no carpets, they don't change the sheets.
6- No wi-fi at rooms... you must stay at the reception to get connection.
7- We paid Euro 135 per night in double which is not worth it at all... I could pay less in Catalonia area and get better service, I stayed in Mercure Madrid with euro 80 per double per night with breakfast and was much much much better.

That's all.. hope this is will be helpful for you.

Room Tip: A room with a view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NanoSoli

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The room is so clean and very comfortable.very nice view from the window you can see the very beautiful plaza españa and montjuic.very nice place.nice service.delicious breakfast.We want to come back together with my kids

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emily M

Dear Guest,

I do like to read that you enjoyed our large and recent renovated rooms but what I really like the most are your comments regarding our staff!
Many thanks for your time and your nice comments and I truly hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Again, like many of my trip choices, was - location. Perfectly located. Many places in walking distance, metro meters away, buses on the doorstep, airport shuttle outside the hotel (not free!). Its noisy if you like total peace, but with closed windows is perfect. Had everything we needed and even the pool on the roof top. Rooms spacious enough and clean.

Room Tip: Maybe the view of front rooms better, but i think will be noisier as it is right on Placa Espania ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MalikaEp

Dear guest,
We really appreciate your positive comments about our hotel. The costumer’s opinion is a top priority for us and it helps us to constantly improve. I would like to use this opportunity to say that we would like to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I booked at the last minute for a Saturday night and got about 50% off. A very good deal at this price -- perhaps not quite so special at the regular price but still above average.

Over all, this is a very good hotel with some plusses and some deficiencies. The location on the Plaza Espanya is excellent, with easy access to Metro, cabs, and busses. Unless you really need a room with a view, get a possibly quieter room on the inside of the "donut" design. A large shopping mall, including a supermarket, is right across the street (take the elevator to the top for a 360 deg view).

The desk service was helpful, even reassigning a room with full double bed instead of twins. But checkout at noon took almost 15 minutes because of lines 10 deep.

The overall decor is a clean, contemporary, stylish look. The room was reasonably large and generous bathroom with tub/shower -- and unlike some hotels, actually had sufficient storage spaces in the bath and room. The tub had a grab bar -- also missing in some hotels. However, the floor of the tub was slippery even though there was a design in the floor of the tub suggesting non-slip (I guess it had worn off). Also the bathroom floor tiles can be very slippery when wet.

TV has many channels. Wifi instructions given to me at check-in were confusing (and NOT CataloniaPlaza shown on my iPad list) and slow to log on. When I finally got in, it was reasonably fast. Note: the wifi codes in the lobby are different!

The snack bar (Gourmet Corner) was convenient and reasonably priced. A club sandwich was surprisingly good.

The major deficiency was the room air conditioning, which took most of the night to cool down. Thinking the dial must not be calibrated, I even set it at 15C. And it was still very muggy. I don't know if this is characteristic of AC in Barcelona or a weak AC system (or possibly due to using water cooling system instead of true AC?). For one night, it was tolerable but if I were staying a week in summer, I wouldn't book this hotel due to the AC.

The room had some irritating problems: a small red velvet chair (the only one) was only usable for children. The seat actually was inches below my knee -- and I'm only 5'8" -- so the desktop was level with my chest! Why do designers put such ridiculous, impractical items in hotels?

There were no electrical outlets near the bed ---another ridiculous design. I use a CPAP and had to run the cord across to the opposite wall (and remember not to trip on it during the night).
One bedside lamp bolted to the wall was loose and about to fall off. There was veneer missing from the edge of the bathroom door. And drink stains not cleaned off one nightstand. The electrical outlets felt loose. All this could be signs of maintenance neglect.
I could hear a child talking one or two rooms away and also hall noises. And I could here a vacuum cleaner running before I wanted to get up in the morning.

Overall, it was above average and, in some respects, almost 5 stars -- but the AC and other irritations make it 4 stars at best.

By the way, I overheard a desk clerk tell a couple that breakfast was 10 euros if they ordered when they checked in --- something I was not told when I checked in. The regular price is 16 euros even if you choose this option on line -- shouldn't you get a price break on line? (I did not have breakfast.)

Room Tip: Inside rooms (facing the courtyard) might be quieter (and cheaper) ---although another review sugges...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank IQ140

Dear guest,

Than you very much for your time.

Do not hesitate to contact us in your next visit to Barcelona.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

There is a party tent in the middle of the hotel. I'm feeling badly for my friends who need to wake at 3am tomorrow for their plane departure as the bass from the party music and the mike announcements must make it impossible to sleep.

Also I was put in a smoking room. With as many rooms as they have, this should never have happened. There is no soundproofing in these hotel rooms.

Breakfast is good.

I will never return and am glad to be leaving tomorrow to another hotel in Barcelona.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo