“best window view to plaza españa”

Catalonia Barcelona Plaza
Ranked #204 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The room is so clean and very comfortable.very nice view from the window you can see the very beautiful plaza españa and montjuic.very nice place.nice service.delicious breakfast.We want to come back together with my kids

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emily M
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Guest,

I do like to read that you enjoyed our large and recent renovated rooms but what I really like the most are your comments regarding our staff!
Many thanks for your time and your nice comments and I truly hope to welcome you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Barcelona Plaza

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Again, like many of my trip choices, was - location. Perfectly located. Many places in walking distance, metro meters away, buses on the doorstep, airport shuttle outside the hotel (not free!). Its noisy if you like total peace, but with closed windows is perfect. Had everything we needed and even the pool on the roof top. Rooms spacious enough and clean.

Room Tip: Maybe the view of front rooms better, but i think will be noisier as it is right on Placa Espania ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MalikaEp

Dear guest,
We really appreciate your positive comments about our hotel. The costumer’s opinion is a top priority for us and it helps us to constantly improve. I would like to use this opportunity to say that we would like to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I booked at the last minute for a Saturday night and got about 50% off. A very good deal at this price -- perhaps not quite so special at the regular price but still above average.

Over all, this is a very good hotel with some plusses and some deficiencies. The location on the Plaza Espanya is excellent, with easy access to Metro, cabs, and busses. Unless you really need a room with a view, get a possibly quieter room on the inside of the "donut" design. A large shopping mall, including a supermarket, is right across the street (take the elevator to the top for a 360 deg view).

The desk service was helpful, even reassigning a room with full double bed instead of twins. But checkout at noon took almost 15 minutes because of lines 10 deep.

The overall decor is a clean, contemporary, stylish look. The room was reasonably large and generous bathroom with tub/shower -- and unlike some hotels, actually had sufficient storage spaces in the bath and room. The tub had a grab bar -- also missing in some hotels. However, the floor of the tub was slippery even though there was a design in the floor of the tub suggesting non-slip (I guess it had worn off). Also the bathroom floor tiles can be very slippery when wet.

TV has many channels. Wifi instructions given to me at check-in were confusing (and NOT CataloniaPlaza shown on my iPad list) and slow to log on. When I finally got in, it was reasonably fast. Note: the wifi codes in the lobby are different!

The snack bar (Gourmet Corner) was convenient and reasonably priced. A club sandwich was surprisingly good.

The major deficiency was the room air conditioning, which took most of the night to cool down. Thinking the dial must not be calibrated, I even set it at 15C. And it was still very muggy. I don't know if this is characteristic of AC in Barcelona or a weak AC system (or possibly due to using water cooling system instead of true AC?). For one night, it was tolerable but if I were staying a week in summer, I wouldn't book this hotel due to the AC.

The room had some irritating problems: a small red velvet chair (the only one) was only usable for children. The seat actually was inches below my knee -- and I'm only 5'8" -- so the desktop was level with my chest! Why do designers put such ridiculous, impractical items in hotels?

There were no electrical outlets near the bed ---another ridiculous design. I use a CPAP and had to run the cord across to the opposite wall (and remember not to trip on it during the night).
One bedside lamp bolted to the wall was loose and about to fall off. There was veneer missing from the edge of the bathroom door. And drink stains not cleaned off one nightstand. The electrical outlets felt loose. All this could be signs of maintenance neglect.
I could hear a child talking one or two rooms away and also hall noises. And I could here a vacuum cleaner running before I wanted to get up in the morning.

Overall, it was above average and, in some respects, almost 5 stars -- but the AC and other irritations make it 4 stars at best.

By the way, I overheard a desk clerk tell a couple that breakfast was 10 euros if they ordered when they checked in --- something I was not told when I checked in. The regular price is 16 euros even if you choose this option on line -- shouldn't you get a price break on line? (I did not have breakfast.)

Room Tip: Inside rooms (facing the courtyard) might be quieter (and cheaper) ---although another review sugges...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank IQ140

Dear guest,

Than you very much for your time.

Do not hesitate to contact us in your next visit to Barcelona.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

There is a party tent in the middle of the hotel. I'm feeling badly for my friends who need to wake at 3am tomorrow for their plane departure as the bass from the party music and the mike announcements must make it impossible to sleep.

Also I was put in a smoking room. With as many rooms as they have, this should never have happened. There is no soundproofing in these hotel rooms.

Breakfast is good.

I will never return and am glad to be leaving tomorrow to another hotel in Barcelona.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear guest,
We welcome your feedback, help us improve our service every day to customers.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

While this is considered a "business" hotel, we stayed several nights while on a tour. It is clean and comfortable and nicely appointed. The best feature however is the location on the plaza, in walking distance to a museum and across from a shopping center that has a great view and nice retaurants on the top floor. A subway station is directly in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jwelhwel

Dear guest,

We welcome your feedback, help us improve our service every day to customers.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We couldn't fault this hotel it was clean, friendly, had a great location for both getting to the port or airport as well as for exploring the city. The rooms were spacious and in good condition and we enjoy a very comfortable night there it

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank Nicola S

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I loved the locattion. Through your windows you can see the MNAC (National Art Museum of Catalunya), which is a beutiful palace-like builging, with dancing fountains and light at night, the Ex- Bull fight plaza which is now a super cool shopping mall, and you have the metro station just a few steps outside the hotel´s door. The rooms are super clean an modern. The bathroom is huge. I felt like I was in a US hotel as I entered my room. Super globalized, not a European old fashion hotel. Wifi in the rooms didn´t work but the lobby wifi worked perfectly. Excellent ambience in the lobby, Really Kind Service, helpful peolpe 24/7. I stayed there for 1 week for bussiness and I loved it because I also had the chance to get to the touristic places fast and easy. Visit the coffe and bread shop 1 block away called Granier, its delicious fresh bread and delicious sanwishes, and the coffee is so good too. Had breakfast every morning there for from 6-8 Euros a day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Areli O

Dear guest,

Thanks you for your comment. We really appreciate, and hope to be able to welcome you again very soon.