“I'd recommend, but......”

Catalonia Barcelona Plaza
Ranked #205 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Book with fountain view. Excellent location. Excellent transportation connection - 2 metro lines, Aerobus, bus N46 to airport (T10 card is allowed). Good breakfast. Close to Las Arenas Mall. September is a good month for Barcelona visit.

Room Tip: Book with fountain view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sergey_MAshdod
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear guest,
thank you very much for your comments in Trip Advisor and for the time you spent writting it. It has a great value for us and also help people to know better our services. Do not hesitate to contact us in the future when you visit the city and sure you will be more than welcome in our Hotel. Best regards

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Barcelona Plaza

Reviewed September 16, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
4  Thank liran l

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Location is very nice, little pool on the roof, room is comfortable, good service but they have bed smelling in the holl

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank DariaGannisik
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear guest,
We really appreciate the time taken to write your comments about our hotel. The costumer’s opinion is a top priority for us and it help us to constantly improve. We take into consideration your review to work in those aspects that need to be changed.
We apologize the inconveniences caused and we really hope that you decide to visit us again in the future, for giving us another chance to exceed your highest expectations.
Yours faithfully

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The hotel disappointed me completely. For the 4th stars hotel it was inexcusably dirty: dust balls on a floor, hair in a washbasin, a disgusting smell of the sewerage in a bathroom, the drain of the washbasin was littered and water didn't go through. This hotel doesn't suit people with a light sleep, because there is very strong audibility. It was too much noisy in the morning (rooms cleaning, rooms repairing ect.). In hotel is 340 rooms, but on a roof there are only 10 sunbeds, so people were compelled to sunbathe on a floor or to turn and go away. WIFI-internet was very bad and slow, was done with some middle authorization and wasn't functioning all the time. Exactly not 4-star hotel.

One thing that was really great is the location. The location of this hotel is fantastic if you don't mind being a little distance from the centre of town. Near the hotel is all necessary: Aerobuses (go to/from both terminals T1 and Т2), excursion buses CityTours and BusTuristic, big shopping center with grocery shop on the first floor, undergroung and other city transport's stations. The Magic Fountain and national art gallery MNAC is 500 m away, the park Montjuik and the Olympic stadium is located less than a kilometer. The Catalonia Plaza and Kamp Nou are at distance of the foot walk (2-3 km). To other sightseeing (La Sagrada Familia, Barcelona Zoo, Parc Guell, Tibidabo, Barceloneta, Mar Bella and Bogotel beaches) is possible to get very easily on excursion bus, that goes every 5 minutes.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank innusja

Yours faithfully

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel is right at Plaza Espana, next to subway station and Arena shopping center. We were lucky enough to have a room (Rm 151) facing the plaza and the fountain. Room was spacious with a door you can close between the bathroom area and the bedroom. It offers free Wi-FI in the room and we had BBC and other TV programs. Sound insulation was not as good though. I could hear the subway. To avoid that, you should ask room at high floor.

The dining room was large, but the layout needs improvement. It should have separate areas for different food rather than a single serving line. First floor bathroom was not easy to find (perhaps by design). The stairway was also not easily accessible.

Unlike other reviews, I thought the front desk was friendly. I got change here and Barcelona map with no problem.

For location alone, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thanks you for your comment. We really appreciate, and hope to be able to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel is really good, nice building nice rooms, but the cupboard were broken and the wardrobe doors were broken but all in all is really nice hotel.

We stayed in the premium room which has an EXCELLENT view, so beautiful. They always topped up the coffee and tea and the turn down service was excellent, I particularly enjoyed the chocolate they left for us every night.

I would recommend this hotel for sure, I think paying extra money is definitely worth the view, so definitely recommend the premium room.

Room Tip: I would recommend the premium room to get excellent view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Rachel_Wade

Dear guest,

We welcome your feedback, help us improve our service every day to customers.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I see some people really like to complain about just everything. I hope to provide a very balanced review. We stayed in the hotel for a week from August 5-12 2012 in rooms 640 and 641. I found the reception staff to be friendly and helpful, especially Linda. I noticed there are at least three front staff in the day and for sure they are busy but they are attentive with your needs. They all speak English well and they are helpful. I did not see any tourist information in the lobby but the reception staff was helpful in this regard. They did provide me with a area map (with a hotel marker on it) and they helped set me up with the hop on and off bus. There was an older gentleman who worked at night and he was not very friendly and was quite grumpy when I needed help.I noticed there is usually two front staff at night.
I asked for a "Fountain View" room on a higher floor and I highly recommend this as the view is brilliant. You will see the fountains and lights in front of the national museum at night and it is beautiful. The fountain and light show on the weekends is spectacular! It is true that there is a busy roundabout right in front of the hotel and it can be noisy. I think being on a higher floor helped mitigate this problem. Also, make sure the windows are closed tightly. We did'nt close one of our windows tightly and we found out that that was the source of excessive noise. We actually needed two rooms and got Rooms 640 and 641 which are independent rooms but there is a common entrance with a common hallway to both rooms. This was very convenient for families as the common entrance could be locked and the other doors kept open. We left all our shoes and lugguage in the common hall area and it freed up alot of space in our rooms. Just make sure you have reception program the key card to allow for this your entire stay. You have to put the card key in a slot at the entrance of your room so the lights and all the power points will work. We were surprized at the large size of the rooms in this European hotel. We felt it was more North American standard size. The rooms were clean and made up daily. We did'nt have any problems with the maids when we put the "do not disturb" sign on the front door and the signs never went missing. The corner rooms are nice because we got a view of the fountain and the arena, and they both lit up nicely at night.
The location of this hotel is fantastic if you don't mind being a little distance from the centre of town. The hotel is at the centre of a major transportation hub for the airport bus, the train, buses and there is a taxi stand in front of the hotel that is constantly serviced. You can take the A2 Aerobus from the airport to the hotel for 6 Euro. If you want to get to the top of Las Ramblas (placa cataluna station) it is only 2 Euro and just a few stops away. If you want to go to Montserrat, the train starts from Placa Espanya station which is right in front of the hotel. The hop on and off bus also has a stop in front of the hotel. Transporation from the hotel is very accessible and easy to navigate.
There is a bullring arena that was converted to a mall right across the street and it was very convenient. There is a supermarket in the basement and I suggest you do your shopping there as the prices are cheap compared to the convenience stores in the surrounding area (we checked). There is an excellent gelato place in the basement as well and good restaurants in the mall. I would suggest having Tapas at Bodega Monumental at 87 Creu Coberta for real nice euthentic fare and we had breakfeast almost everyday at Conesa sandwich shop at 80 Creu Coberta. The coffee at Conesa was excellent and these places were a 5 minute walk away on the side street of the hotel. I had the breakfeast buffet at the hotel two mornings and I found the food to be really fresh, good variety and the covered room the breakfeast area was in was beautiful and airy. There was a special on the breakfeast buffet on the weekday for 10 Euros and I found this to be a good deal (usually 16 Euro) for what you get. I asked if we could pay 10 Euros on a weekend breakfeast and they allowed it which was a nice surprise. On the weekend we had a three course set menu weekend special one evening at the hotel restaurant and it was excellent and a real good value. For $28 Euro, you get a three course meal including wine (the red wine was excellent). The meal was real high quality with good choices and sevice was excellent. The only catch is that everyone at the table has to order from the set menu for the deal.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out there was free internet in our rooms (wireless) and in the main lobby. There was also three computers with a printer in the main lobby you could use for free internet and free printing. I found the internet speed was fine and it was never down when I stayed at the hotel.
The pool on the hotel roof was real helpful to have, especially for the kids after a long hot day. The pool area was clean and the views from the pool were amazing. I took some really nice pictures. The only issue was there were'nt enough pool chairs for everyone. I noticed you could order drinks at the pool but we never did this so I cannot comment on this.
The only real issue I have with the hotel is security. One night we were in the lobby at around 10:30 pm and someone asked my mother to take a picture of him sitting in one of the hotel lobby chairs. As soon as my mother got up from her chair to compy, his accomplace who was sitting behind my mother snatched her purse and they both ran out of the hotel. There was no security at the time in the lobby. I do notice that there is a security guard in the front lobby all day long but he is not there after a certain time at night. We were quite rattled by this incident, especially since there is a police station just across the street on the roundabout (we reported this incident the next day). In general, we felt secure in our rooms and in the area of the hotel. When told of the incident, one local told us at least there was no violence involved. I suggest you be vigilant in Barcelona in general. In general, I found this hotel to be excellent value for what you pay and I would definately stay at this hotel again the next time I am in Barcelona. Hope this helps you. Bon voyage.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a fountain view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family