“Great location, good hotel”

Catalonia Barcelona Plaza
Ranked #206 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Hampshire, UK
“Great location, good hotel”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Great location, tourist bus and airport bus stops right outside. Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was clean, had a room on top floor and the views were spectacular. This is probably one of the ugliest hotels I have ever seen, however once inside it ticked the boxes. Breakfast was usual buffet but fresh and good selection.
Only problem was, room was too warm, no aircon on in January and we were fortunate to have amazing weather for January (short sleeves and meals outside!) although once windows left open for a while, it was fine.
Found it to be very good value but it was January, I guess more later in the year.
For a reasonably priced weekend break it did the job

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ForestGirl930
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Dear guest,
First at all thank you very much for the time that you expend doing your comments about our hotel. Your comments are very important for us because it is helps to improve our services.
If you want to come back to Barcelona, please do not heasite to contact with me.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Perpignan, France
Reviewed January 9, 2012

...the room is terribly hot during the summer because the air-con is just not powerful enough to cool down the room. Otherwise the room could do a bit of renovation.

Location wise, it is well located on the Plaça Espanya, Montjuic is just next door, and the center of Barcelona is reachable by taxis, buses or TMB subways. The most interesting part of this hotel is that the Aerobus (shuttle bus) to Barcelona Airport stops right in front of the hotel.

In spite of the deficiency in the hotel comfort and decorations, I find the staff at the reception very courteous and efficient. Hotel security is good. El-Al pilots and cabin crew stay at this hotel when they transit in Barcelona.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank dgcourriel
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This hotel was excellently located in the Plaza Espana and there was a metro station right in front of the hotel. The service was okay but could have been better since you always seemed to have to wait in line to get your questions answered and they never answered the phone when you called downstairs. The breakfast was really good and had a wide variety of choices. The bed was okay but I have had more comfortable. The location was probably the best feature of this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Mandy R
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We went there to spend a weekend in Barcelona. We were very well located and atended. There was a latín show too at night that turned out to be a fantastic experience. It is a great hotel in a great city

5 Thank Gtraveller2
Lymm
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I was working in Barcelona as I do every month and wanted to try this hotel out. My wife was coming out for the weekend. I'm in fact sat in the room bathed in sweat as I write.

I'd booked a Premium room which was a standard room which was refurbished and had some extras like tea / coffee making facilities, water, biscuits, dressing gown and slippers. When we checked in non of these were in the room. I informed reception and said that it was okay as we were popping out they could sort in the meantime. Two hours later, returned and nothing could be done. The girl I had asked before, let's call her sullen Melanie, refused to talk to me and a chap politely said he wold sort it, he'd have to tell house keeping. I asked if they hadnt already been told, why would they be? Because I spoke to you two hours ago.... Okay... It would've fixed immediately. Meantime in the room, the airconditioning only blows out warm air so now ( the claim here is that they turn off the airconditioning facility in winter). The advertised soundproofing is now pointless as we have to have the windows open. Firstly, the dressing gowns turn up.... Looking good.. Then the water and cookies turn up... Hopeful. Then a kettle turns up with one sachet of coffee and one tea bag... No milk... Back to reception... Ten minutes later I have two sachets of coffeeno milk. If I want to have milk I have to ring room service... Anyway, went out for the evening, sweated our way through the night and the next day went into the city. On return, the bed is made but no coffee, tea, fresh water, biscuits.. Can I be bothered complaining any more? No, I will never return and advise other travellers to do the same.

1 Thank Drunken_Max
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear guest,
We welcome your feedback, help us improve our service every day to customers.
Yours sincerely,
Reviewed December 11, 2011

The house-keeper lady is a thief. My friend's and my moneys were taken from our bags whilst were not in our rooms during the day.

1 Thank Handearattan
Dear guest,
We welcome your feedback, help us improve our service every day to customers.
Yours sincerely,
Stockholm
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for more than a week. There are good and bad things to say about it:

Good:
- location is ideal, a metro station just outside main entrance, Aerobus station a stone's throw away
- rooms with view of Plaza Espana is splendid
- wifi available, very good
- i like the hard bed
- there is a mall beside which has many restaurants/cafes (but not much fashion stores)
- there are lots of convenience stores within walking distance so easy to buy bottled water and other necessities
- lots of pharmacies within the area, too
- food in hotel restaurant can be good if you order the right dish
- three ladies in Reception excel in their job (Noela, Linda and Lucy). They are friendly and service-minded.
- convention group very efficient esp Gina and Miguel
- Julio of snack bar/restaurant very service-oriented and friendly
- one of the best breakfast omelettes i have tasted esp when made by the filipina lady

Bad:
- I saw a cockroach in my bathroom
- rooms are quite dated, as other reviewers mentioned
- no aircon, i had to sleep with window open, which of course is noisy because it is in a busy part of the city
- very long queues in the breakfast area (often very crowded)
- in my 9-day stay, i only saw 1 bell boy. so if you are in a hurry to get your bags down, it will be better to drag it along with you by yourself.
- no boiling kettle in the room (when I was badly in need of hot water in thermos, I needed to beg room service). in fact, in 3 out of 6 requests, no thermos came.
- one reception staff by the name of Sara treated me like a fool when I asked for help in asking the staff for hot water. I was completely voiceless and wrote in front of her my request, she replied to me "this is the reception, we don't have hot water here". i was really surprised at the daffness that she did not realise that if i had voice, i would have ordered room service instead. why would i go down the room just to ask for help in reception? her colleagues have been helping me days before and she was the only one who did not only refuse to help but even replied to me like i'm stupid. she holds the record as being the most rude reception staff i have ever met and boy, i have met so many receptionists in my trips.

overall, i think it deserves to be a 3-star hotel. will i stay there again? if i have limited budget, i will. but with all the internet sites nowadays, i think i can get a better quality hotel for same price we had (75EUR/night, rate for a conference group). if i am forced to because it is the official hotel for the conference, i can live with it. it is not that horrible, but definitely not positively memorable either.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jenstockholm
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this review, December 7, 2011