“'Beware' very bad experience, not as committed on website”

Catalonia Barcelona Plaza
Ranked #202 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I booked a 'superior room' in this hotel via their own 'Catalonia' group website, which committed some standard facilites a little more than their normal double room. These included: bottle of water & oreo cookies free, tea and coffee making facilities apart from other services. On reaching the hotel there was no one to help with the bags as I got off the taxi in front of the hotel entrance, the reception lady took the entire payment right at the time of check in through my credit card. Asked me to wait fve minutes for the only single bell bot that they have. On reaching room the aircondition was not working, there was no water bottle nor cookies, nor any tea coffee making facilities. Repeatedly I had to call reception, there is no 'house keeping number to call' the 'room service' lady who answers your phone does not understnd english. After a long while a mechanic came who after some tinkering was able to start the airconditioning but said temperature control has gone bad and will not work. On knowing this as it would make the room too cold if the temperature thermostat does not work, I again asked the reception, which offered to change my room but to one which did not have the plaza view, as I had laready unpacked all my stuff, and as I had a conference to attend, I asked if I continue in this room will they get the thermostat repaired or replaced the next day, and they said yes they would do so positively the next day when i am out of the room. All these things wasted so much of my time that I just couldn't go for the conference on this day. Nothing was done about the temperature control the next day or even the day after, every night I am freezing to death till I wake up in the middle of the night to shut the aircondition off. The recption is again reminded but seems totally unconcerned. To my amazement the reception refused to agree to the fact that they had to provide tea coffee making tray in the room as is clearly mentioned on their booking website ( you can check: http://www.hoteles-catalonia.com/en/our_hotels/europa/spain/catalunya/barcelona/hotel_catalonia_barcelona_plaza/index.jsp?cmp=tcm:42-4948&seccion=habitaciones ). On repeated argument after a long time the man on the reception said, that yes it was mentioned on the website but it was wrong!!!! but still they will send the tea making tray and that they send the water and cookies after the client arrives. Well I took it to be settled. To my amazement the next day my room was cleaned but no water bottle or cookies were replaced. I asked the recption (they are the only ones who speak english) they said call room service and therafter a water bottle came, cookies were still no where to be seen. When I searched in the tea coffee tray there was no milk powder satchet or liquid, on calling room service again they brought milk in a milk dispenser!! (without cover). I was very surprised at the standard of service. In any case I could not keep that milk for long and so I decided to have tea without milk!!. Today is the third day I am at this hotel, today when I came back from the conference, to my utter surprise I find no water bottle or cookies replaced and the tea coffee tray gone!! On asking the recption says tea coffee facility was only for the first day (which is not true, their website says and we all know that tea coffee making facilities are not a 'welcome drink' but a continuous facility in the room for which we are paying superior room charges every day!). On the first night I reaqlised I had forgotten mthe electrical adapter for plugging in my laptop as the plug system here is different from my own country, I was asked to come down to reception, I waited for an hour at the recpetion without anybody helping and fianlly had to go and search for it outside, which I did with great difficulty as I dont speak spanish. I am amazed at how easily the hotel staff speaks whatever it likes, and is cheeky enough to dupe clients, is the management not concerned and just allowing all this to go on and on. I have emailed to their central office, but am quite shocked & surpirised with all this. Also note the minibar cupboard cover is broken and hangs, bathroom door gets stuck on the floor and doesn't open fully, wardrobe doors are stuck and are very difficult to move. This is not what one expects from a hotel where you pay so much!!!

Room Tip: If you must stay here chose room looking on to the plaza espana
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear guest,
Than you very much for your time.
We really appreciate, and hope to be able to welcome you again very soon.
Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Barcelona Plaza

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Had to stay at this hotel for a week whilst attending a conference (unfortunately the only one available for the time in the vicinity) & was extremely disappointed. Didn't compare at all favourably to another similar priced well located 4star hotel in barcelona that my husband & I went to after the conference & another in Madrid that we stayed at on this trip. Avoid the breakfast - overpriced & in a large characterless room reminiscent of school & hospital cafetarias. Room was slightly grubby & poorly maintained - TV initially didnt work; promised repair the next day didnt happen without additional reminder & TV reception was appalling. Window handle on verge of coming off. Some mould on bathroom tile grouting. Had to pay 5 euros for inroom safe deposit. Seemed to have bus tour groups staying regularly - perhaps that is how they get away with being mediocre as most stay only 1-2 nights. Would not stay here again or recommend to anyone. The only thing it has going for it is the location - very handy to all transport, Arenas shopping centre, fountains, MNAC & Montjuic.

Dear guest,

We welcome your feedback, help us improve our service every day to customers.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Sure this 4 star hotel has older bathrooms, a perhaps dated pool area, and lacks the amenities of a true 4 star hotel, but the price does not reflect a 4 star hotel either (I paid 135 Euros). The metro is literally outside the door and the aerobus is directly across the street for EASY airport transportation. There are nice cafes nearby and a mall directly below. Also great views and free Internet. My first 3 nights in Barcelona I stayed at the Eurpark Hotel and the last night at this hotel. I much preferred this hotel given the view, pool, and location. If I make it back to Barcelona, I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank amyelizabeth94
Sitja, Gerente at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Dear guest,
First at all thank you very much for the time that you expend doing your comments about our hotel. Your comments are very important for us because it is helps to improve our services.
If you want to come back to Barcelona, please do not heasite to contact with me.

Reviewed September 10, 2011

The hotel is in front of the Barcelona fair , the employees at the reception welcomed us with a big smile that did not leave their faces until we left. The room is very confortable with nice views , service is great and a very good breakfast buffet. highly recomended.

7  Thank Surya_11

Dear guest,
First at all thank you very much for your comments about our hotel. It is helps us to improve our service. It is for me a personal satistaction to know that your stayed with us was fine.
Again, thank you very much.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

Agreed on those comments with good location, friendly front desk and clean room. But comparing to old building (there was one title loosen at bathroom floor and insufficient airconditioning) with 4 star price not worthy, also there didn't provide water heater. It means to ask guests to drink tape water or to pay €2.5 for bottle water or €1.5 for kettle of hot water at bar. Do u think it is a tricky way to earn money? For same price, there are lots of choice at same location. For those not like to drink tape water, u may consider my experience before consider this hotel. Last, the room can't stop outside noise from street and corridor.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Sitja, Director de Recepción at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

Dear guest,
First at all thank you very much for the time you spend doing your comments about our hotel.
i am very sorry because your stayed with us was not as good as I wish. For to improve our service we have kettles in our premium rooms and we want to buy for the rest of the hotel.
Again sorry for the inconveniences.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

The best thing about this hotel is his FANTASTIC location.For people who come to see Barcelona is ideal.Buses, metro station and a huge mall under your nose.Breakfast is excellent, we prefer to receive fresh tomatoes, cucumbers on the menu.The room is OK, clean witha fantastic view to Plaza Espagna. The Reception people speak English and like to help. Despite the fact that we stay in a room facing the all day noising Placa Espagna, we didn't hear it. As General Mc Arthur said :"I shall return"

Room Tip: A room facing Placa Espana at a high floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Popica65
Sitja, Gerente at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

Dear guest,
First at all thank you very much for your nice comments abour our hotel.
i am very happy to hear that your stayed with us was perfect
If you want to come back to Barceona, please do not heasite to contact with my.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Nice rooms (try to have a view room.beautiful), great location, walking distance to many places, Arena new shopping mall across the road, direct underground to Ramblas.
Don't take half board. Our was a disaster (group rate). Breakfast ok-long queues.
nice swimming pool. Small gym-the only "walker" was broken.
no english channel on TV. (only CNN)

Room Tip: a room with a view
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Dinala_10
Sitja, Gerente at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

Dear guest,
First at all thank you very much for your nice comments, it is helps us to improve our service.
I am very happy that your stayed with us was fine.
If you want to come back to Barcelona please do not heasite to contact with me.