“Perfect in just about every way”
Review of El Balcon del Born

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barcelona
El Balcon del Born
Ranked #47 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Gawler, Australia
“Perfect in just about every way”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We arrived in barcelona from the hustle and bustle of Paris, and were ready to relax a bit, and this place is just perfect. Dont be put off by the fact that you need to catch a cab from the train station, it is in a perfect location. maybe 10 minutes walk from the beach, similar to La Rambla, lots of nightlife nearby but no traffic noise so it was still a good night sleep.

When we checked in one of the friendly hosts Roberto asked us if we had time for him to show us some recommendations, and we said sure why not. Well dont do this if you are in a hurry, Roberto spent a good half an hour with us with a map and a booklet with every place numbered and marked on the map - places to eat, attractions, bars, everything. It could not have made the stay any easier. We tried a couple of the restaurant places and they were all great.

The bathroom was 1 step outside of our door, shared with us and another room, and breakfast was 5 metres away.

Coupled with the very cheap drinks in the kitchen you could buy, this is just the perfect place.

Room Tip: there are restaurants on the ground floor so getting a room away from the street might be best, but...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Everything about this place was great.

The location is very close to Barri Gotic, Barceloneta and the beach, as well as heaps of great restaurants and shops.

The breakfast, which you could eat on a quaint balcony and watch the world go by, was superb with a range of simple food options.

The room, which for us was a double room, had a massive bed, was spotlessly clean, had a good pedestal fan and was nicely decorated.

The owners were very helpful - Pablo sat down with us for 30 minutes or so, pointing out a host of things on a city map and giving us great tips on how to get around.

We had to share a bathroom but this wasn't an issue, as there is two and both are quite modern and kept very clean.

We're really glad we stayed here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I had two stays in Barcelona during my trip to Spain - this was my second leg as I was not able to get into El Balcon del Born on my first round (this place is popular for good reason!). I fell in love with this exceptional B&B oozing with amazing character. The El Born neighborhood made my trip to Barcelona, honestly. The B&B is located on one of the most picturesque plazas I've ever seen in Europe and basically the location to restaurants, bars and darling boutiques is second to none. Stylish and historic neighborhood, loved. Pablo and Ricardo were the most gracious, kind hosts I have ever come across in my travels. The breakfast was fresh/of highest quality and of course, the entire place is impeccably clean. You can't go wrong. What cute balconies too! You can rent a bike in El Born and easily ride to the beach, which was really fun.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Last week we stayed at El Balcon where we were greeted by Pablo. He spent an hour with us when we arrived, giving us all the information we needed to make our week there so enjoyable. I had been anticipating good service, as every query I had made since making our booking, had been responded to rapidly and positively by Roberto. Booking from the other side of the world can be a little daunting but we were not disappointed at all. The following morning we met Anna who prepared our delicious breakfast each morning, and provided information for each day. The average rating for sleep quality is only because our room was noisy at night due to the location - which we expected.
We were absolutely delighted when we arrived home this week to receive a lovely email from Anna and Pablo thanking us for choosing them but we are so thankful we were able to stay at their B & B.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I booked and absolutely loved my stay here! only wish I could have extended my stay.

Although the b&b is located beside a busy squear, it's max 30mins walk, north, to where the tour buses meet for tours to Deli Musuem etc, and south, to the very end of the beach front. The Church of St. Maria del Mar and Picaso Musem is literarily right around the corner. You can have lunch in the market everyday if you want to, because it's that close!
The convenience of being close to everything does come with a price, as some of the best resturants and bars are literarily right downstairs and ususaly they're packed with people well into the night. So if you want completely and absolutely quiet sleep, then this place is not for you. For me, love to walk to places, so by the end of the day, I was so tired that I just fall into sleep anyway.

I stay in room 8 on the third floor, so it's more quiet in comparison, but trying to sleep in the mid of te afternoon is difficult - I had a bit jetlag the first couple of days. I arrived early in the morning but the early checkin time is at 9am since people are still sleeping before that. So Roberto recommanded a place for breakfast near by. After my breakfast, I couldn't find the address of the place in my phone, and no one I asked knows what I'm looking for (since I don't speak Spainish at all), but Pablo was so nice to come get me.

The breakfast is between 9-11. It has all kinds of selection for a B&B. The dining room has a little balcony, and usually they play a bit light music too. It's hands down the best B&B in the area!

1 Thank Helen L
New York
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It didn't take me a long time to figure out where I was staying in Barcelona, I was traveling alone and was looking for a B&B close to everything in the city. El Balcon Del Born had such great reviews that I
booked it right away. I couldn't wait to get there and was hoping it lived up to my expectations. I never
expected it to be as wonderful as it is. Anna greeted me at the door and was so excited to see me because my plane was delayed and she was worried. I felt like I was home with a new friend. I stayed in Room #4 and it was beautiful, extremely clean and an adorable balcony perfect for relaxing and people watching after a long day. Anna had a list ready of places to see and wonderful restaurants to
try. Every morning I woke up to a beautifully set table with fresh fruit and breads and amazing coffee,
a perfect start to the day, after breakfast, Anna and Roberto sit with their guests and help them plan their day with full directions to wherever you want to go. The bathrooms are shared but there are enough of them and I never had to wait. Barcelona is a beautiful city and El Balcon Del Born is the place to stay when you visit. I can't wait to go back just so I can stay there again, next time I'm staying
more than 5 nights, it's truly an awesome experience.

Thanks for making me feel at home,
Lisa

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This is a great accomodation in the city center of Barcelona. It's no longer than a ten minute walk to the beach. In the other direction it is not far to most of tourist attractions. Roberto and the owner paolo were very kind and helped us with all our needs. the best was that Roberto told us everything interesting about barcelona immediatly after arrival. he had some very good recommendations for us. If you like seafood go to la paradetta! But you will have to wait.

• Stayed August 2013