“Excellent hotel in great location”

Alexandra Barcelona A DoubleTree By Hilton
Ranked #150 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Montreux, Switzerland
“Excellent hotel in great location”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Excellent hotel in the best location in Barcelona. We had two adjoining rooms that were modern, clean and very large. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, always willing to help us out with restaurant reservations and taxis. The breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 546MariaV
Juan Manuel T, Director General at Alexandra Barcelona A DoubleTree By Hilton, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Maria,

first of all thank you very much for your stay...

it´s really nice to read your comment and I´ll share with my team in order to celebrate one of our missions: our clients is the first..

I hope to see you soon in our city..

best regards to Montreux...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Beautiful design hotel, avant garde architecture, located in the very best part of the city, in the city center, close to Paseo de Gracia and Rambla Catalunya with their shops and restaurants. Also close to the works of Antoni Gaudi, the museums etc. Nice rooms, very spacious. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gullabella
Dear guest,

it´s nice to read your comments... our location is the best one in the city.. everything is close.. restaurants, Gaudi, shopping area... we have all than we need if you want to discover our city..

thank you very much for your stay and your time writing this comments..

I hope to see you soon in Barcelona

Best regards!
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The main positive for this hotel is the location if you want to stay in the Exaimple area: right in the main (expensive designer) shopping area, on Calle Mallorca between Passeig de Gracia and Rambla de Catalunya. Felt very safe at night and it feels like you're in a tourist area. There are multiple restaurants in the area of various price ranges. It is also only 5-10 minute walk from two of Gaudi's main works: La Pedrera and Batlo.
Beware that it is about a 20 minute walk to the core of gotic Barcelona. A very nice walk down to the old part of Barcelona and the waterfront, so I didnt consider it far from anything but our group liked to walk. Taxis are not expensive, and there are two subway stations close to the hotel - 2 small blocks away.

The worse experience was the check-in at this hotel. There were two people working at the counter and we were second in line, but for some reason it still took 30 minutes for them to get to us. The person that first serviced us was a young blond girl who didnt seem very friendly or concerned about getting the guests checked-in. As she serviced us, another guest who had just walked in approached her and she completely disregarded us and then started answering his questions...she didn't even say 'excuse me for a moment, or it will just take a moment"....she just walked away and started speaking with another guest. There's nothing more irritating than waiting for your turn in line and then being ignored when your turn comes so the person servicing you can speak with someone who just cut the line.
When her male colleague was done checking-in the guests ahead of us, we started getting serviced by her male colleague, then she shouted in spanish: "give them a room on the 1st floor". Up until then, we were speaking in english as we normally do, but we also understand spanish, so I spoke up to say we preferred a higher floor and told the gentleman that we had previously emailed to make this request. The gentleman seemed a little embarrassed that we had understood what the girl had told him and said that there were no rooms left on higher floors. We completely understand that higher floors are subject to availability, but if there are in fact no rooms available, there is no reason for the girl to say so as there would be nothing left but the first floor. The wait and check-in service was really not a good start to our 4-day stay.

ROOMS: the room was on the smaller side, perfectly fine for 2 people but it would be tight if more people. Modern decoration. We were very concerned that the traffic noise from outside would keep us awake, specially because there is a bus that runs till late at night. Fortunately, the noise from outside did not bother us. However, the walls were so thin that we could hear everything from the rooms next door. We could hear doors slamming, clothes-hangers hitting the wall, walking around, etc.
Also, only two TV channels in english. Very small mini-freezer.
The washroom was modern but the shower was terrible...the glass panel that half closes the shower is too small and no matter how hard you try, there's always a pool of water after you shower. The water temp also fluctuates, so sometimes you're scorched.

All in all, our stay was just okay. We didnt encounter any major issues, but also was not very wowed during our stay. We paid approx. $160 US. per night and think we have gotten better value at other hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SSRESS
Dear guest,

first and foremost thank you very much for your stay and your comments..

I´m going to talk with my front desk manager.. this kind of situation is not allowed in our hotel.. I´m so sorry...

In order to improve our customer satisfaction I´ll send an email to our works departament tryingo to fix your comments..

I´m so sorry for your feelings and I would like to see you again in the next future to see we really are a great hotel.

Best Regards
Stockholm
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I searched for quite a while to find a suitable hotel for our "out-of-the-country-celebration".
Seemed difficult to find what we exactly wanted, but Alexandra met our expectations.
We had a spacious room with a south facing terrace on the top floor.
There was even a separate elevator to get to our floor on which, I think, there were only four rooms.
Large jacuzzi in the bathroom, wall-to-wall carpet in the bedroom (which I generally dislike) but the room was immaculately clean.
The terrace hade a thick hedge to the next room so the privacy is almost complete, except for the office across the street but that is not a big problem at all.

Staff was very friendly and cooperative. One of the lightbulbs in the bathroom disfunctioned but I went downstairs to get help, got a new and changed it myself. The morning after a very embarrased bellboy came up and asked if he should change it. Just a small mishap as far as I am concerned.

Breakfast was included (which it rarely is in Barcelona) and was a perfect start to the day.
Nothing missing, lots of fruit, nice bread, great scrambled eggs and whatever else you can think of.

Nice bar, free snacks occasionally and friendly staff. Got an Italian touch to it. But then again, if you don´t like it, the nearest nice Tapas bar is just 30 yards away on the street.

We never ate at the hotel though, apart from breakfast, too much tempting nearby at La Rambla.

Very nicely located although a bit far from the sea. I would highly recommend it though. Prices go higher the closer to the sea you get and this place is well worth the money.
Especially if you want a big terrace on your own.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BigBen62
Dear guest,

I´m glad to inform you that our Junior Suites Terrace (one of your choice) are completely renovated.. with no carpet on the flor and new terrace with a jacuzzi outside.. lovely..

Thank you very much for your comment.. it´s nice to hear from you that kind of things... :)

best regards to Stockholm !
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The room was spacious and this hotel definitely offered very good value for money. My reason for not giving 5 out 5 was it's poor room service menu which was extremely limited and also basically the same at their lobby restaurant-bar, which meant we ate out of the hotel on a couple of nights when my colleague and I would quite happily have stayed in. Shame as loss of revenue for the hotel and tiring for us. Apart from that the rooms were clean and bathroom good size. The location is perfect and close to all the shops for after work or holiday shopping. Would I go back? Most probably.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bigby21
Juan Manuel T, Director General at Alexandra Barcelona A DoubleTree By Hilton, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear guest,

thank your very mucho for your stay and your comments..

during the winter we have a specials offers to visit Barcelona.. the weather is lovely.. it´s a good time to save money.

I´m very worry about your room service experience.. it´s the firts time we have any problem with this... Our restaurant is really nice...
I´m so sorry.. our restaurant´s schedule is from 7 to 11 for breakfast, from 13 to 16 for lunch and from 20 to 23 for dinner... but our room service runs 24 hours... I guarantee to introduce some changes in our room service menu...

I hope to see you soon in your next trip...

best regards

I
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Travellers beware.. Dont opt for this hotel. The only plus is the location. That where the postive stops.
Staff is outright rude! We checked in at 12:30 pm and we were well aware that the check-in time is 2pm, we waited in the lobby for 1.5 hrs patiently and walked to the reception at 2. To our dismay, there was only one lady at the counter, who was already occupied by other guest. there was a bellboy was assisting her , so we asked him our room status to which he replied that they need an hour more. During our wait, we saw several other guests coming in and being alotted a room. After seeing this, I raised my voice and eventually for a room.

To describe the room- dark dingy depressive. it was a corner room next to the gym. And believe you me we were told that this was an upgraded room- Clearly untrue or the base room category is even worse.

We were offered luggae assistance at check in so we waited again for another half hour for our bags to be delieverd. When no one came, I callled the bell desk, and the bell boy said he was busy and if i am in urgent need I should carry the bags myself... shocked !!!

What more Can I say.....

Please please dont stay here. Under no circumstance is this a cheap hotel. you rather spend your money in any other hotel!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank an03710
Dear guest,

First of all we really appreciate the time you spent writing your comment. These details help us improve our quality and service objectives to go beyound our clients expectations to make their stay a positive and special experience...

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, somehow we are astonished as those levels of service that you mention are unusual in our establishment...

In any case, your sensations motivate us to review and improve those aspects that might be required.

I´m so sorry...

Best regards
Eksaarde, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Very friendly staff and they speak English very well.
Rooms very modern and clean.
Restaurant and bar very good and not that expensive. Menu in English
You can go tot the old centre of Barça by foot.
The only thing missing is a swimming pool.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom_VdB4
Dear guest,

thank you very much for your comments...

it´s true, we need a swiming pool.. maybe in 2014 on the roof... :)

I hope to see you soon..

best regards!