“Good location and reasonable price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Astoria

Hotel Astoria
Ranked #142 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good location and reasonable price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We used trip advisor to help up select this hotel for our summer trip in July 2012. We arrived to a very nice lobby but our room was not ready so we had to wait until about 3pm. We entered the room and my son went to use the bathroom and the door fell off the hinges, so we requested another room and were given another room but it was much smaller. We did have a refrigerator in the room but it was already filled with Hotel snacks and drinks that they want you to buy from them. We removed and placed most of the drinks in a plastic bag and put it on the desk near the fridge so we could store our own food and drinks in the fridge. (just remember to replace all the original contents of the fridge or you will be charged probably more than you spent on the room) You may want to take a picture of the contents of the fridge to help you in this process and to use as proof if there are any issues at check-out.

The hotel was clean and within walking distance from the ramblas (about 20 min walk)

You should use the Diagonal metro stop because it is the closest to the hotel. If you plan to be in barcelona for several days you may want to get the metro/bus daypass it pays for it self if you plan to take 5 rides per day on the metro or bus, plus it gives you the flexibility to get on and off the buses or metro as many times as you want.

We also rented bikes to ride along the boardwalk near the beach and that was really enjoyable.

Near the hotel there is a supermarket about 3 blocks away and lots of restaurants nearby that are reasonable.

There is free wifi/internet in the lobby, and you can also use it for 1 hour in your rooms. They also provide a PC connected to the internet in the lobby, but they do not enforce a time limit so you could wait for a long time for people who think that the hotel PC is their personal PC to chat and view FB. They should enforce a 30 minute limit per session like other hotels where you have to enter your room number and name and it allows you to connect for up to 30mins at a time them it kicks you off for at least 30mins. there were some people that were on the pc for several hours. Overall the hotel has clean rooms, a pool, wifi and is a good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
pepe066, Director General at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you for your opinion about the Hotel Astoria.

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed in our Hotel Astoria.

Thank you and I hope to see you next future.^

Director Hotel Astoria.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lincs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my teenage son from 19th - 23rd August 2012. We could not fault it in any way. The room (424) was large with plenty of cupboard space, very comfy beds and reasonably priced mini bar. It, along with the bathroom was immaculately clean as were all the public areas in the hotel. The hotel was quiet and well located for the Barcelona tourist bus and other public transport. Staff were very polite and helpful at all times, even at 01.30am when we got in from seeing Barca play! Very quick wifi in the front of reception - just ask for the network and password. We had a great stay and would reccommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Our 4th floor room was quiet with a street view
1 Thank BirdmanLincs
Dear Guest,

thank you for your opinion about the Hotel Astoria .

We are very happy if our clients are happy with our service, our rooms, breakfast, etc....

Thank you so much for coming to our Hotel Astoria and I hope to see you nex future.

Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed several times in Barcelona and now I understand it's one of the best areas of the City. It is quiet and lovely.
I dont like to stay next to Rambla, in Gotic area or Chinese ... It's noisy, smells bad and dangerous when you walk home in the night. There are a lot of people from Pakistan who sell everything and run from the police... as well as different kind of punks, tourists and others who are really noisy.
It's better to live in next residential area to this one.
The atmosphere is nice in this place. It's great to have a swimming pool in the roof. But there are 2 rooms which look at the pool - you can not trouble them in early morning (swimming calm ;) and it's closed in the late evening.

Room Tip: I've seen some photos in reviews with some dirty things but ours was good.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
pepe066, Director General at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you for your opinion and for coming to our Hotel Astoria.

Is a pleasere to know that you enjoyed in our Hotel with our service and with the location, etc.

Thanks and I hope to see you next future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Got back last night. Never usually write reviews despite being a frequent holiday maker. However, this appalling hotel infuriated me so much that I need to get this off my chest! Booked this for a romantic summer break fort my fiancé and I.

+'s
It's in Barcelona .... Need I say more! Beautiful place!

-'s
Here we go ....
Window opens on to a a concrete void/internal wall. Room as a result does not receive daylight/fresh air! Had to switch on the tv every morning to check the time as we were unable to confirm sunrise!!!!

Filthy water in the pool - toenails, feathers and empty beer cans.

Room was tiny!

Crack in the bathroom sink.

Beds extremely small and uncomfortable

Had a 5 euro note stolen from the worktop in the room by cleaning staff that I accidentally left out whilst sight seeing in Barcelona. To see whether or not this actually happened, I deliberately left a one euro coin on the floor the following day as 'bait' and low and behold, it also disappeared!

Staff very rude and have no time for you at all. Felt a total inconvenience.

On day of departure/checkout, I asked to book a courtesy room to shower and freshen up before setting off for the airport. Was told that they didn't have one and that we would have to use the shower on the pool deck in the open air/full view of every Tom, Dick and Harry! Unbelievable! I have always had access to a courtesy room - isn't this common/good practice? Staff didnt even apologise or bothered!

Once I had come to terms with the 'tramping manner' in which we had to shower and change before heading for the airport, I asked could I at least borrow one towel to share between my fiancé and I. I explained to staff that as a result of traveling with easyjet and binging one piece of hand luggage, we did not bring towels knowing fully well hotels provide towels for the guests. However, staff refused point blank to lend us a towel as we had in theory checked out 12pm that day! Crazy!!!! Staff did not seem bothered at all. When I questioned this, the young receptionist asked a senior member of staff. He simply said no and shrugged his shoulders. As a result, we had to shower in the pool area in full view of sunbathers, traipse down 8 floors sopping wet with cases and get changed in the toilets in reception, using our dirty laundry to 'towel dry'!!!

Hotel accessible by anybody as hotel is open 24hrs a day with no security measures in place.

Do not visit this place!

• Stayed August 2012
6 Thank Pritchy1978
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your opinion and sorry if our service was not perfect.

We try to offer the best to our clients but sometimes is not possible as you said.

I will work hard in order to be better, thank you for coming to our Hotel.

Gatineau
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family and I staid at the Astoria from August 12th to august 19th 2012 and really appreciated the hotel. I used the pool on the roof and, even though it is small, it was really appreciated after a day of walking around Barcelona. The service was always curteous and fast. I did asked for extra pillows and they were provided within minutes. The location is excellent because its is in a quieter area of the city and only a few minutes away from buses and metro station. The breakfast was included and was good. Card infroming guess that hot selections like eggs, bacon and other things were avaialbe on request were left on table so all guest woukld know about the service.

Our rooms were on the first floor. The one with a view of the street had a view however it can be noisier ( not a real problem since the area is in a quiet negihbourhood and the patron from the bar across the street did not make much noise). The other room was an inside room which was quieter but with a view of a inisde wall. Size of the room was good for europe standards.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
pepe066, Director General at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for coming to the Hotel Astoria and we are very happy to know that you had a nice experience in our Hotel.
As you said we have a small swiming pool with a view of all Barcelona, that is very important for the clients during the summer.
I like that you enjoyed with our breakfast and your family too.

Thank you for your evaluation and I hope to see you next future in the Hotel Astoria.

vina del mar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Safety is a big concern here since there is no control over who enters the hotel or where they wander. Also they do not honor the prices you book on the internet "prices change daily madam". My particular room had a view of the elevator shaft for 84. euros a night. Dinner is only for reserved group bookings not hotel guests. Also, I was told to move my car by 9 am or it would be ticketed. It was towed at 7 am which cost 170 euros.
No internet connections in the rooms even if you pay for it.
I was concerned for my safety and that of my teenage children staying in this hotel.

Room Tip: skip this hotel and choose one that offers better prices and better security
2 Thank gringaVinaDelMar
pepe066, Director General at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dhatear Guest,

Thank you for your evaluation about our Hotel and I am very sorry for the problems you had.
I want to tell you that the prices are changing every day , and this is very normal in all the Hotels in the world.
We try to offer the best service to our clients and this is our way of work.
I hope to see you in the future in our Hotel in order to change this not good experience.

Thank you.