“You'd better love hard beds...”

Catalonia Diagonal Centro
Ranked #303 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Stayed here for a 3 day business trip since my usual hotel was full. What a disappointment. The staff spoke good English (thanks!) and the room was clean, but other than that...

The TV guide said it had Sky News. It didn't. Other English channels were badly "snowy". If you're on holiday, you're probably not so bothered, but I like to catch up with the news before I go to sleep. It wouldn't be so bad, except the wifi is slow and drops out constantly. It's better early in the morning, so I suspect they just need more bandwidth. Anyway, it was just about useless for business or entertainment. I could get email, but slowly. Sadly, only one power socket at the desk, so either the desk light (with exposed wires) or my laptop got plugged in.

The bed was like a concrete block. I've never slept on a bed that hard, and ended up with a very sore hip and lower back. One of my colleagues loved it though, so it's down to taste.

The air con wouldn't. It was maybe 15 degrees C outside, but pushing 25 in the room. Leaving the air con on minimum, with the fan on full, moved the air around like a fly sitting in the corner, so opening the window was the only alternative. Even that wasn't too effective.

The cheap laminate floor was worn, skirting board coming off (see pics), and the shower was over the bath so you'll need to be pretty agile to climb in (no handrail) around the shower screen. Which leaked water all over the floor. Grout missing from between the tiles and mould wasn't too encouraging either.

See the pictures for the view from my window. Hope you like concrete.

Oh yes, breakfast was OK. A reasonable coffee machine, slightly overcooked eggs, fresh fruit and a selection of pastries and breads made it bearable.

I won't be going back if I can help it. Location is OK, but there are lots of other hotels around there.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Recasens, Manager at Catalonia Diagonal Centro, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear guest,

My deepest apologies for the inconveniences during your stay with us. At Catalonia hotels, we believe that the best stay comes with good service .

We regret that you couldn't sleep well and the room was not in perfect conditions for your needs. Would you have asked for changing room, probably your opinion would be as your colleague was. We are refurbisihing rooms and we have at your disposal, superior rooms and a Suite.

In any case, I warmly thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. Please do not doubt that we will carefully analyze each and every point discussed.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed here just 2 nights. Comfortable beds, clean, great location, friendly staff. First time the breakfast was good, second time (I arrived just before the end of the breakfast time) the food was a bit cold and not as generous as the previos morning. Our room was bit noisy, because of the traffic, but at the end didn't bother us that much. Nice stay!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank jan s

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel and of course for your kind review.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Thank you for your comment about the breakfast, we have reported to our staff in order to have same quality during all the service.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon. Best regards from Barcelona

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed here via a football package so wasn't expecting much but I was pleased with my stay. The staff were very helpful, spoke very good English and humoured my attempts at speaking Spanish.

Our room was very hot, we couldn't figure out the heating/AC controls but we didn't ask for any help either. We were facing the road, when the balcony was open it was very noisy but when closed it was fine, slept like a baby in a very comfortable bed.

The breakfast wasn't that great by late as the heaters don't keep the food that warm by around 10am, but there was a good range of both hot and cold food.

Overall I was pleased with the stay with not much improvement needed to have given it 5*s.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank LokoloX
Recasens, Director General at Catalonia Diagonal Centro, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about our hotel.

First of all, let me apologize if you have not been fully satisfied with our hotel as we are all very committed to deliver a very high level of service quality.

On regards to your comments about the heater in the breakfast room, I will transmit your comments to the F&B Manager in order to improve and avoid cold food.

Best regards

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I’m writing this review about 2 months after my stay, so some of the details are slipping my memory.

I had an opportunity to stay at this hotel during a week’s visit to Barcelona. We were with a tour group, Go Ahead Tours, which I would highly recommend if you are exploring tour groups for Barcelona or other areas.

Great stay. We had a single room. I thought it was a good sized room for European hotel room standards. Wood floors. Our bed was comfy, although there were others in our tour group that indicated there beds were not as comfortable.

Good sized bathroom. Outlets in the bathroom. Plenty of counterspace. The shower/bath was a little high, fyi if you or someone you are traveling with has disabilities. As customary in many European hotels, they do not provide small washcloths.

Very clean hotel. Complimentary Wi-Fi. Small lobby and reception area. Staff was very courteous. Breakfast was very good. I was obsessed with the Egg “flauntas” (with mushrooms and turkey)

Great location. Walking distance from “Las Ramblas”, the pier, shopping, restaurants, and most of the tourist attractions. Aside from the pick pocketers, felt very safe walking around.

One point of service I wanted to note. Many of us on the tour group arrived into the city that morning. The hotel staff that day worked very hard to get our group into our rooms prior to the standard 2pm check-in time. I thought that was a nice touch/welcome, and a good reflection of the service of their staff during our stay.

Oh, one thing I would love to them to add would be an on-site fitness center. But I guess that's a good excuse to opt out of working out during vacation -:)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank late_bloomer09
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here for five nights and the design got to me in the end. Rather dark and brown.
But the rooms are clean, staff are helpful and breakfast ok.
If you get a room facing the street. Don´t worry. There´s two levels of sound proofed glass. I slept like a baby during my stay.

Plenty of good restaurants and bars in the area. You´ll also be within walking distance of good shopping and several sites.

Free WIFI throughout the hotel. Always a good thing!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Calle77
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband & I spent two nights here last month as part of an escorted tour. The location is convenient to the metro as well as walking to Ramblas (a fair distance but pleasant). The staff were all excellent and the rooms comfortable. The problem is the noise. Hardwood flooring throughout and paper thin walls made all sounds louder. I was afraid to sneeze for fear of waking my neighbors. The hot water is also problematic -- if the shower and sink are running together, one of them is either cold or scalding. There is WiFi in the room but the service is very slow & repeatedly drops the connection.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BabciH
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I spent 4 nights - 5 full days at this very high quality 4* hotel with my teenage daughter.

We had a FANTASTIC holiday and really appreciated this hotel. We highly recommend!!!
* VERY Clean
* Great Location - Walking distance to Plaza Catalonia and one metro stop away.
It is close to center, Very near La Padera where you can also get on the hop on and off city bus. Also a variety of good restaurants all around at reasonable prices.
* Excellent service - we found ALL staff from front desk to breakfast very helpful and friendly. They could all speak English.
* Great Breakfast - Wonderful Coffee machine!!! I was very pleasantly surprised at the variety. Both hot and cold.
* Quiet room - I cannot sleep with noise and so purposely chose this hotel that is in the center but not near pubs. * Comfortable Beds - Slept really well!!!
* Spacious room and bathroom - the room and bathroom is a decent size. We were very comfortable and as I mentioned above appreciative.

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room. Note our room did not have a view... this was not important to me I wante...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family