Stayed here for a 3 day business trip since my usual hotel was full. What a disappointment. The staff spoke good English (thanks!) and the room was clean, but other than that...
The TV guide said it had Sky News. It didn't. Other English channels were badly "snowy". If you're on holiday, you're probably not so bothered, but I like to catch up with the news before I go to sleep. It wouldn't be so bad, except the wifi is slow and drops out constantly. It's better early in the morning, so I suspect they just need more bandwidth. Anyway, it was just about useless for business or entertainment. I could get email, but slowly. Sadly, only one power socket at the desk, so either the desk light (with exposed wires) or my laptop got plugged in.
The bed was like a concrete block. I've never slept on a bed that hard, and ended up with a very sore hip and lower back. One of my colleagues loved it though, so it's down to taste.
The air con wouldn't. It was maybe 15 degrees C outside, but pushing 25 in the room. Leaving the air con on minimum, with the fan on full, moved the air around like a fly sitting in the corner, so opening the window was the only alternative. Even that wasn't too effective.
The cheap laminate floor was worn, skirting board coming off (see pics), and the shower was over the bath so you'll need to be pretty agile to climb in (no handrail) around the shower screen. Which leaked water all over the floor. Grout missing from between the tiles and mould wasn't too encouraging either.
See the pictures for the view from my window. Hope you like concrete.
Oh yes, breakfast was OK. A reasonable coffee machine, slightly overcooked eggs, fresh fruit and a selection of pastries and breads made it bearable.
I won't be going back if I can help it. Location is OK, but there are lots of other hotels around there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Formerly Gran Hotel Catalonia. This hotel is located on the modernist route next to Paseo de Gracia. It is surrounded by the most beautiful modernist architecture and the most representative buildings of the work by Gaudí. Its location in the centre of Barcelona means that you are walking distance from the best commercial area and can enjoy the intense atmosphere of this Mediterranean city.Our most prized feature is our quality service. Organise your family celebrations and business meetings in one of our 5 meeting rooms, which have a capacity for morethan 400 guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Catalonia Diagonal Centro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Diagonal Centro Hotel Barcelona
- Catalonia Gran Hotel
- Catalonia Diagonal Centro Barcelona