“Great for a quick weekend”

Catalonia Diagonal Centro
Ranked #278 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
“Great for a quick weekend”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed here for a short 2 night break. We found the hotel to be excellent value for money, the rooms were all very well kept and the staff were exceptionally helpful. Whilst there, the England v Sweden game was on, which the hotel screened on a big flat screen TV in the bar. The bartender was very helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough to make sure we were comfortable. I would strongly suggest taking a hotel card out with you, as we managed to forget the name and spent 2 hours in a taxi trying to find it again !

The hotel need to take either a swipe of a credit card or a 50euro deposit on arrival but getting this back isn't an issue.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Recasens, Director General at Catalonia Diagonal Centro, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending our hotel and talk about our nice service. It encourages us to continue working on the same direction. The 50€ deposit is only for giving the safe box key, but there is no charge at all.
Looking forward to greeting you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Herzlia, Israel
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The hotel is a great area, 2 blocks from the fashionable Garcia Street, a distance of fifteen minutes from Catalunya Square and Ramblas Boulevard.
Rooms are clean but old, free internet, nice breakfast.
Recommends to skip hotel breakfast and start the day near the Cafe Paul.

Room Tip: Ask for room vith a street view balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. Our excelent location is very well considered. We work to offer good services and make our guests feeling like at their home.
Looking forward to welcoming you back next time.
brussels
Reviewed May 31, 2012

this hotel with excellent location need to be renovated: rooms are very clean, bathroom too but very oldfashioned! If you look for convenience first, then this hotel is yours. 5 minutes walk from diagonal metro, passeig de gracia (near by the "Pedrera") and ramblas de Cataluyna. Employees are helpful and professional, breakfast buffet very correct (but the breakfast room has no window). We had our rooms with balcony and street view, the traffic noise attempted our nights despite the 2 "double glass" windows. As it is old fashioned 4stars hotel, many groups of tourists stay there (maybe goodprices for travel agencies??): we were "victims" of noisy people from Romania, shouting and eating badly during breakfast time, what a pity!
be careful never accept rooms at 1st floor, you can hear subway every time it passes by; if you pay 100€/night, it's good value. Over this amount , you can find better else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Maryland
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The internet was free, and there was a wide assortment of bathroom amenities. Those are the best things I can say about this hotel.

Otherwise, I did not like this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone except those on a seriously low budget. I was traveling on business and it was booked for me. Usually this is not an issue, but I would definitely not stay here again.

Yes, it is close to places you want to be in Barcelona, but not actually by anything. The local restaurants are very average, and it takes several blocks to reach anything decent in terms of shopping or dining.

The beds are ridiculously hard, and for the first two nights there was no mattress pad. Yuck. I don't even want to think about it. As soon as I saw that the first night, I took a blanket out of the closet and put in on the mattress between the mattress and the bottom sheet. The added bonus was that the blanket padded the bed a little bit. Finally (and for some unexplained reason), on the third morning a mattress pad miraculously appeared.

One day I returned to my room and found that the window was open. That struck me as relatively unsafe since there was no screen or anything on the window to prevent someone from entering it.

I found that the doors were VERY thin, and you can hear people walking down the halls, opening and closing their doors, etc. I will say that if you close the inner door to the room it does mute this noise, but otherwise, it feels like people in the hallway are actually in your room with you.

This is personal, but I did not like the mirror in the shower that meant you had to watch yourself shower. I just found that a bit awkward.

They charge a 50 euro deposit for a key to the in-room safe, which I always use when carrying things like my passport, etc. Since I did not want to give up 50 euro in cash, they wrote down my credit card number on the receipt. Then, when I returned the key, they would not give me their half of the receipt with my credit card number, and actually seemed insulted that I would ask for it. I did not think I was at all rude while asking for it, and given the prevalence of stolen credit card numbers in Spain (which I understand better given this experience), I was surprised they would react the way they did (and which they still would not give me, insisting that they would tear it up).

With one exception (and under an unusual circumstance), this is the lowest hotel rating I have given in the 6 years I have been reviewing hotels on tripadvisor. While nothing dramatic happened, and I understand that everyone has an opinion and some people might really like this hotel, this is not an experience I would wish to repeat under any circumstances, regardless of the cost of the room. I stayed at another budget hotel on this trip, and while it was not my usual preference, it certainly was a vast improvement over this one. But for the fact that I was traveling with other people, I would have checked out the first morning and gone elsewhere.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Recasens, Director General at Catalonia Diagonal Centro, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we take profit of all of them for improving our service.

It is strange that you couldn't find good restaurants or shops close to us. In less than 500 meters you have excellent top restaurants like Windsor for catalan food, La Dama for international cuisine, O centollo for seafood or La Farga for excellent coffe and pastries just for giving some examples. And a list of more than 100 restaurant can be found. We are in the middle of Diagonal, just at the begining of Rambla Catalunya and Paseo the Gracia, the 3 most important streets for shopping where everything can be found.

In our intention of refurbishing the hotel, we have some new beds and could be still little hard. About the matress pad, would you have informed our reception, it would have been put it at the moment. When the chambermaid realised,she put it immediatley.

Our rooms have double door room and all the hotel has wooden floor, so there is no noise from the corridors.

Travelers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed March 28, 2012

the hotel is in the center of the city, 10 minute walk from the Ramblas. The room are very nice and big. The Staff is very nice and sympathetic. I RECOMENDED THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rotem B
Recasens, Director General at Catalonia Diagonal Centro, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel. Our privileged location is really excellent and we are working hard to improve our standards of quality and service.
Thank you for recommending our hotel.
reno, nv
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Miguel was wonderful in helping us get a rental car with Pepe cars, way cheaper than the regular chains. The room was just fine, breakfast lovely, and much to do in the immediate neighborhood. I would stay there again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Your kind comments encourage us to continue working for offering an excellent service. I have congratulated Miguel for his nice work given to you.
Thank you for recomemending our hotel.
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I stayed in this hotel while participating in a conference in Barcelona. The personnel is quite friendly and the hotel is well located, not far from the Paseig de Garcia and Diagonal metro station. But the hotel is quite old and needs to be renovated. On the first day the door lock didn't work well and after a few trials by the porter I had to spend the night with the door unlocked. After some maintenance intervention, on the second day I found myself locked inside the room. After the intervention of the porters, I had to change to another room. In this one the bathroom basin was broken and when I open the door of the bathroom the smell was not what one would expect.
It is not a four star hotel, for Barcelona standards, and as I stated before it needs to be renovated.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business