“great for a weekend..”
Review of Caledonian Hotel

Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #263 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed March 9, 2013

went with two other girls for a birthday weekend.. brilliant location- near the stop for the airport bus. Immaculately clean and comfy rooms, good temperature. we had a triple- beds were comfy and sofa bed good size and comfy if a bit creaky! Mini bar with reasonable prices. we had a small terrace area looking out at the back of houses- nothing special but nice to have a little table outside. could do with tea/coffee making facilities. didnt have breakfast as 13 euros but looked nice- there is a nice cafe literally 2 doors up with nice omelette/toast/coffee etc for 6.50.
great position- short walk from Ramblas- (10min) or a hop on metro. good restaurants and cafes etc everywhere nearby. friendly staff, a tiny bar/sofa area but didnt see anyone using it. would definately return but with a travel kettle!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Caledonian Hotel

Reviewed January 30, 2013

hi all , as a single traveller i am just back from barcelona . i stayed at two different hotels . my 3 night stay was 4 star except for one thing . will explain later . also i know barcelona quiet well . two of my daughters lived for 5 years and visited reguarly . if you travel auro bus from airport it is near stop at univeristat .for visiting this location is ideal . my room was a single . well laid out no problems at all . the big girn was the paying of a safe . 3.60 euros a night is too much . in other hotels of the class ratings of the caledonian it"s FREE. the staff were very friendly except for check-in . i was already in barca having stayed at other hotel . having arrived at 12.40 .pm . check-in is 14.00 pm . i tried to explain that i was checked -in for 3 nights and could i leave my one cabin friendly case in a safe room . ? i was abruptly told that check-in started at 2.00pm .?i could leave case (?) in luggage room . thats what i wanted . after this the staff were brilliant . its clean and bright . i would recomend this hotel to anyone but would ask the hotel revising the cost of hotel room safe . this did bug me .

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank bynack
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed 6 nights. The room is very small (just big enough for a single bed and a desk), but very clean and very nice, absolutely fine for just me. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is great. Close to shops, restaurants, the metro, buses, taxis are readily available. Many things are within walking distance. There is a Starbucks just one block away. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SweetEscapeArtist
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Enjoyed all aspects of hotel experience. The view from our window superb, location great quiet, breakfast good. Starbucks just 200 metres away for great tea. Would return to this hotel. Understand now the importance of siesta. Barcelona a great city for walking, a visual feast, on every corner . The markets abound, were impressed by the familia sagrada. This alone would bring us back here, the food at Night. the people we met were gracious and supportive especially when we identified ourselves as from Aotearoa,New Zealand.The brilliance of a 4 kilometre street dedicated to food socialising and shopping,I guess the weather makes it all possible.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 52tui
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Whilst the hotel is clean, serviceable and close to two Metro stations, the level of comfort and service was pretty poor in my experience.

The room had a very large double bed, but the mattress was incredibly hard. A request for two extra pillows on the day of arrival went unanswered and it wasn't until Day 2 and a second request that the pillows were provided. Use of the in-room safe requires you to pay a daily charge for the safe key..

The rooms are not equipped with an Iron due, apparently, to new fire regulations that require "special" Irons to be provided. I was therefore required to use the hotel laundry service and was charged the full rate (washing and ironing) for each item, despite stipulating that I just wanted the clothes ironed.

The hotel provides wifi coverage on each floor. On arrival I was given the login and password and upon entering my room I tried to access the internet. It didn't work, so I approached Reception to query why? I was told that the internet was working and that it was my iPad that was the problem. When I demonstrated that I could immediately access the internet from Reception (the same network as that for the rooms), I was told I needed to try several times. This I did over the next 24 hours and the only way I could get internet access was to "camp out" in Reception. Despite notifying the Reception desk of this on several occasions, I was told it was working and that nobody else had complained. I got the impression that I was seen by them as a troublesome guest and there was no attempt to check whether the internet was indeed working in my room.

Overall it was a pretty poor experience and I wouldn't recommend this hotel..

Room Tip: Select an alternative hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PRW19
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel was well located, with clean rooms and good service. Although the single room was quite small, it was enough for me. A little bit aside from the worst tourist traps was a good thing. Surrounded by basic Barcelonian restaurants and bars this is a good pick for people who want to enjoy Catalonian cuisine and atmosphere. I will definitely choose this hotel anytime again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a balcony to the inner side of the building and the traffic noise from the m...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I had a one week stay there from November 20-27th, 2012, my experience was very good as soon as we arrive we checked into our rooms and they were clean and fresh in addition we had two rooms with a terrace on the street which was quite amazing! It is worth mentioning that room service was very good, they used to change sheets and towels everyday with a fresh smell so if anyone's planning for a trip they don't have to worry about bringing spare towels or sheets. Location is just perfect for any visitor, which i believe one of the most important criteria you choose your hotel based on it. the only thing i have comment on is breakfast, it doesnt hav eany variety so if you are staying for a long period i would prefer to choose your stay without breakfast in order to enjoy walking around and having catalan bakery:)) I just highly recommand this hotel for any kind of visitors!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends