Catalonia Portal de l'Angel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$259
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Ayre Hotel Rosellon(Barcelona)(Great Value!)
$353
$251
  • Restaurant
Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya(Barcelona)
$193
$156
  • Restaurant
Occidental Atenea Mar - Adults only(Barcelona)(Great Value!)
$195
$230
$206
Cancelon
1,301 results
All reviewspedestrian streetterrace roomgreat locationgothic quarterpool areala ramblaairport busrecommend this hotelsmall poollovely hotelbarcelona cathedralthe heart of the cityquiet at nightsuperior roomtourist busesminute walktour buses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The hotel definitely deserves 4*. Location is very good both for shopping and sightseeing. Rooms are well decorated though small, and equipped with kettle (better buy bottled water, the one in the bathroom contains too much chlorine).

Room Tip: NB: standard rooms have window facing the wall and ask for upgrade if critical.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dina Z
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was my and my husband's first visit to Barcelona so we wanted to stay very centrally. The location of this hotel was perfect - 2 minutes from the metro in Catalonia Square, 2 minutes from the top of the Ramblas, and surrounded by great shopping, restaurants, and bars. The hotel is also two minutes from a drop off point for the airport bus (we usually take a cab from the airport to the hotel, but this bus was uber convenient and well-priced).

Overall, we were very comfortable at Portal de l'Angel and thought the price was very reasonable for the value received. While we would probably pick a different hotel in a new location to stay in for our next visit - just to explore different parts of the city, I highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay centrally.

Great features
-Quiet: the hotel is located on a pedestrian street and backs into a courtyard. There is no traffic noise.
-History: lovely period features have been preserved in the building
-Nicely appointed rooms and up to date, spacious bathrooms
-Friendly and helpful staff at the front desk
-Super clean

A few downsides
- While there was zero traffic noise, we could hear noise from the corridor. This wasn't a huge issue, but it was there.
- The rooms are a little small - this was fine for our four night stay, but any longer and the room with space for only bed, bedside tables, and tv table\desk combo would have gotten on my nerves
- We had a room with a balcony. Since there was a cold snap during our visit, we didn't get much use out of it, AND since the door is vintage, it really can make the room colder
- We were cold some evenings in our room, but I think the hotel did have space heaters if you requested them
- while our room was scrupulously cleaned each day, no extra efforts were taken of making things feel a little more tidied (e.g. Arranging toiletries, throwing away a bottle ca lying around, etc). I suspect this is an area of personal preference. Some people would love someone who makes sure not to touch one private item in the room. But, I like the little extra touches you find in some hotels and missed them here.

Despite these downsides, I'm still a fan of this hotel. The location, cleanliness, value, friendliness, and updated furnishings make up for the areas that could be improved.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cardamomss
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed at the Catalonia Portal de L'Angel for 4 nights in March. Paid €89 euros per night. Located on a pedestrianised shopping street- perfect for a little retail therapy. Airport bus short 5 minute walk at the Placa Catalunya. Buses run every 10 minutes and cost €10.20 return. Tour buses also run from the Placa. Las Ramblas runs parallel and is a short walk down any of the side streets.
Rooms- modern, clean,quiet and spacious. Large flat screen TV in the room, though limited english channels. Free Wi Fi in the hotel.
Mini bar, Tea and coffee, water and nice touch with the little box of chocolates.
We stayed in room 409. Nice sitting area outside with table and chairs.
Check out 12pm with luggage store. Staff very helpful, even stored food we had purchased at the food market in the bar fridge until we returned to collect our luggage.
Would stay at this hotel again! Thank you for a great time

Room Tip: Asked for a room over lookingthe pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Leeann0266
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at two locations during my visit to Barcelona and this by far was the best location! This hotel is located at the top of the Barri Gotic area, and everything is easily walkable from here including the Placa de Catalunya (where there is a tourism office), several blocks from some of the Guadi sites, and the street this hotel is located on runs parallel to the Las Ramblas.

Although it seems a bit odd to arrive at the hotel just across from the H&M and other shopping stores, this certainly doesn't detract to from the interior atmosphere and no noise heard from the rooms. The rooms are decorated in a modern stylish look, are comfortable, and if you're willing to splurge the extra bit for a balcony it's totally worth it to be able to sit on the patio in the morning or afternoon having a coffee or drink. This hotel offers free internet, water, a water kettle and instant coffee and tea to make yourself in your room, and plush bath robes / towels. The other hotel I stayed at had none of these nice customer friendly features (wish I'd stayed here the whole time!). The staff were incredibly helpful and even allowed me to store my luggage for the day upon checking out early (check out is a 12 noon).

The only negative thing about this place is the breakfast. I refused to pay 12 Euros for breakfast when I know I don't eat a huge amount. When you can get a lovely meal of the day including three courses for lunch at local restaurants for 10 Euros, why would you pay more than that for breakfast? Nevertheless, if you stay at this place, I found a sweet little cafe just around the corner where you can get a pastry and coffee for less than 6 Euros (it's located just down Carrer de Comtal on the right hand side a short walk from the hotel - can't remember the name - but it was cheap and good!).

Highly recommend this hotel for location, good customer service features, friendly staff, and stylish rooms!

Room Tip: I'd splurge the extra little bit for a balcony. If you're an early riser or want to take a rest in your room at the end of the day, it's worth it to have a nice spot to hang outdoors in peace while sipping on something (although when it's hot in the summer it may be overly warm out there).
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Kmdomnik
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Seems like my rate may have been unusual, but for 90 euros a night this hotel could not be beat. A 2 minute walk from Las Ramblas, 5 minute walk from the Gothic quarter, and surrounded by tons of bars and restaurants. Room was decent-sized with a nice bathroom and an LCD TV that got tons of channels (even a couple in English). Everything very modern but with nice classic touches. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Room doors slam automatically, so try and stay in a corner if possible
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo