“Nice, comfortable hotel in a prime location for sightseeing”

Renaissance Barcelona Hotel
Ranked #175 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
New York City, New York
“Nice, comfortable hotel in a prime location for sightseeing”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

A nice, modern hotel with any amenities you would need in a city. Not as over the top as some of the nicer hotels in Barcelona but definitely worth the stay. The room was clean and comfortable, and a decent size by European city standards. The front desk staff was extremely helpful in giving directions and drawing out maps of where to go and what to see. The lobby bar was great for evening drinks after a long day and the bartenders were very friendly and helpful as well. We had breakfast included in the room rate and the spread was a great way to start the day.

The location is truly ideal - you can walk to most sights and the Passeig de Gracia public transport station down the street will get you almost anywhere you need to get to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is one block from Passiag de Gracia, and less than two from the Antonio Gaudi Casa Batlo. La Rambla is only two blocks away, and access to the hop on hop off buses is close by. The hotel is modern and very clean. Breakfast is really wonderful.
Service, at least for us, was a bit challenging. My cousin and I booked a room with two beds through the cruise company. We were told that none was available when we arrived. We asked that we be moved when one became available. No one contacted us, no move was made, and one of us had to sleep in a cot. The other issue we experienced involved towels. The first day we had three bath towels, three hand towels and two wash cloths. The second day, two bath towels, two had towels and one wash cloth from the day before. On the third day we had two bath towels, two hand towels and no wash cloth.
Everyone at the hotel speaks English. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cheryld524
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The exterior doesn't look like much but the interior of this recently renovated hotel is attractive and calming. Its modern, understated decor offers a nice rest from the architectural chaos of Barcelona. The location is great and within walking distance of all the important landmarks.
My room was on the small side but very bright during the day since a large window spanned one of the walls. However, at night, the lighting was dim and inadequate for reading. There was no armchair, only a hard, uncomfortable desk chair and when I requested an armchair, I was given another desk chair, albeit one that was more comfortable. The restaurant was appealing in the mornings and the buffet breakfast was fine but the caesar salad I ordered for dinner one evening was barely edible and the restaurant felt more like a coffee shop in the dimmer light.

The housekeeping department was another problem since on the first two days of my stay, the maid never left shampoo, conditioner or soap when making up the room and at the end of the day, I had to run around the halls looking for a housekeeper who was still working and could provide this. On the fourth day, I got back to my room at 3:30 in the afternoon and it still had not been cleaned or make up. I complained to the front desk and manager and when I returned later in the evening, not only had the room been taken care of but a bottle of wine, snacks and nice note of apology had been delivered.

I did have a lovely check-in experience. Somehow, the four-night reservation I had made several months earlier was canceled but the hotel found a room for me and offered the same, lower rate I had obtained by reserving far in advance. It was a gracious, much appreciated gesture, particularly since I had just returned from a one-week tour, staying in horrible three-star hotels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Duxburygirl
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in a brief visit to Barcelona. The rooms are fabulous, great amenities:good tv channels, tea and coffee making facilities, great toiletries and the breakfast is fabulous. There is also a lovely rooftop terrace for an early evening drink. Great location too.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kerry L
Houston, Texas, USA
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was very happy with my choice at the Renaissance. The location is convenient without being right in the middle of the action. I stayed here post cruise and it was about a 20 euro cab fare to the hotel from the port. Overall, the hotel was clean and comfortable. I had a minor issue with the AC but the staff remedied it as quickly as possible.

Room Tip: Upper floors may have less road noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Malaysia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is a lovely modern hotel both in the lobby and for the rooms. Location is excellent - it's within easy walking distance of many sites, locations and major attractions in Barcelona. So - it's on the spot.
But our stay was spollt by what we feel was shoddy service from indifferent staff in the lounge bar and also the single restaurant on the first floor(Cru).
It would also be good if the restaurant staff could get the breakfast charges correct - under what seems a strange system, we were charged for items we did not have. However the Reception staff - who throughout our staff were perfcetion - accepted the fact that we were telling the truth and adjusted the bill on departure.
But we don't think this is 5 star.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BenYorkie
New Hampshire
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights post Transatlantic Cruise. We got it at a very reasonable price with a Priceline bid. I was somewhat concerned when I saw some of the negative reviews here, but I can say that we never encountered any of them.

We found the staff friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and the 8th floor of the hotel has a nice patio overlooking a part of the city. The location is wonderful and only a block away from the main shopping street of the city. We were able to walk to most attractions from here, but we also used the metro some which is very easy to navigate. This hotel has a couple of metro stations near it depending on which color line you want to go. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tdtid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcelona
Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel
Le Meridien Barcelona
Le Meridien Barcelona
#114 of 512 in Barcelona
NH Collection Barcelona Gran Hotel Calderon

Been to Renaissance Barcelona Hotel? Share your experiences!