“Very nice hotel in great location”

Renaissance Barcelona Hotel
Ranked #186 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here at the recommendation of a business partner. Hotel was updated and modern. Room was comfortable and nice. At the last minute I needed a place to host a private meeting and the staff was quite accommodating. For a reasonable price they gave me a nice, quiet room with all the tools needed for creative thought.

In addition to my meeting, the staff was very helpful in helping me find local restaurants, etc. In particular the two they directed me to were spot on.

Great location - from my room I could see LaSagrada Familia. It was a short walk to Las Ramblas, and explore it's narrow streets lined with interesting shops.

Room Tip: Lower floor if it is a windy day
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RAK350
Write a ReviewReviews (1,402)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We made a reservation to the hotel a couple of weeks before our arrival and before arriving we called to notify we will be arriving with a baby. Upon arrival, we were pleasantly surprised to see that the room was waiting for us with a small bed for the baby and a special little bath for her (with baby shampoo :-).
Besides that, the hotel had a very courteous and helpful staff and had all the amenities you can expect from a 5* hotel.
The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from "La Rambla"

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank rotemt
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Marriott Renaissance Barcelona is in a great location for first time visitors to Barcelona. It is close to most of the popular tourist attractions, there are plenty of good restaurants, a wide variety of shopping choices within a short walking distance and if you chose to use the Metro there are several stations within a few blocks of the hotel. We found a wide variety of dinning choices. The food was good to very good everywhere except the hotel. While we did not eat at the hotel's restaurant for an evening meal. Breakfast was good albeit normal for Marriott in Europe. However room service food was very poor and not indicative of our experience with other Marriott hotels in Europe. The hotel staff were very professional, pleasant, and helpful. We had a room on the 10th floor. It was big by most European standards and about average for Marriott in Europe. The room was furnished well and was very comfortable. No executive lounge, but breakfast was free. Overall great experience and we would certainly consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 9th or 10th floor, so you will have a view over the neighboring buildings.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ndt1000
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I liked the fact that you could go out of the hotel and find the best restaurants and best views within walking distance. Visited Sagrada Familia and I walked from the hotel to there.
The rooms are very nice, with a huge bed. I ate something very good there: red tuna on avocado.
I recommend this hotel- 1 thing would be that the people at reception could be a little more fast in checking in the guest, had to wait a while. Also, if you have an event there be very specific in what you want and check everything, the event team will make mistakes.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Monica M
Reviewed March 12, 2013

As a Platinum Elite, I was kind of hoping for a room upgrade (I’ve been rather spoilt lately with numerous upgrades at other Marriott properties). Check-in staff said that the put me on the exec floor, but the rooms were no different and they DID NOT include the upgraded toiletries. In fact, they completely ignored my profile and put me right next to the lifts and did not supply the extra towels or pillows that I asked for. I did try to change rooms, but I was informed that there was nothing else available. In fact, on day two, they didn’t even re-supply me with any toiletries and I had to go down to reception and ask for some (despite leaving a room tip). There were very apologetic, but for the price, they really need to up their game.

The room itself while not huge was very comfortable. The bed was a dream and I had an amazing sleep on both nights. The shower had excellent water pressure and everything was squeaky clean. I was very impressed with the TV as it also had a number of UK freeview channels and well as a large variety of foreign stations. I also liked that there was a small fridge in the room.

The rooftop patio was very comfortable and located on the 8th floor – it was a perfect area to relax over the weekend I stayed, as the temp fell between 16 – 21 C. While I didn’t try the ground floor bar, it looked very stylish.

The breakfast was of a very good quality, but the service was a little slow and if something ran out, they never replaced the item. However, I thought it was an excellent idea to extend the breakfast hours on the weekend so you could have a bit of a lie-in.

The property contained a nice gym which supplied complimentary newspapers and bottles of water.

The hotel itself is only a 10-minute walk from the top of La Ramblas in a quiet area. The concierge ordered me a people-mover to the airport and it was a flat fee of 35 Euros.

If I could get a good price, I would like to return, despite some of the service issues.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 8th floor have good views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Wembleygal
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We travel around Europe a lot and we stay at reasonably priced accommodations, but the Renaissance Barcelona was a treat for us thanks to a co-traveler's Marriott points.

I do not know what the "regular" rooms are like, but I believe we stayed on an executive floor. For European standards, I found our room to be spacious, clean, well appointed, and comfortable. Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, lotion, and bar soaps were all provided, which is unusual in our travel experiences in Europe (well, the conditioner and lotion are unusual). As a bonus, the room also included various other toiletries such as a "shaving kit," a "dental kit," nail file, cotton swabs, a sewing kit, and shoe polish. The room had climate control, sound proof windows, and basically all of the amenities Americans typically expect in an American hotel. . . except this hotel is in Barcelona where these things are less common.

The hotel seemed secure with door staff/bouncers all day. Room key cards are required to operate the elevator.

The breakfast was lovely, though if it is not included in your room rate the price is a bit steep at €24 per person. A coffee with a croissant down the street goes for about €2.

Room Tip: The 5th floor is an "executive" floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel for 4 nights and were very pleased. The location is great. You can walk everywhere but if you prefer, the Metro station is one block away. The staff is tremendous, they are all polite and very helpful. Our room was on the 8th floor which was very quiet and the bed was very comfortable and the shower was great. The room was a little small but was perfectly adequate for one couple and all our belongings for 4 nights. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcelona
El Raval
Hotel Arts Barcelona
Hotel Arts Barcelona
#70 of 517 in Barcelona
Majestic Hotel & Spa Barcelona

Been to Renaissance Barcelona Hotel? Share your experiences!