“not bad .. not bad at all !!”

Catalonia Atenas Hotel
Ranked #237 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Haifa, Israel
“not bad .. not bad at all !!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

i was there in october 2012 ... stayed there for 4 nights
1) the staff are very nice
2) the rooms are big and clean
3)the breakfast is simply great
4) the location isnt so close to the center .. but u have the metro so close .. and it takes about 15 min with the metro to the center ..
to sum it up .. if u dont have money for 5 stars .. this hotel is a very good choice !
enjoy it !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Mount Pocono, PA
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Traveling with school student groups does not afford one the luxury of choosing where one is going to stay, so for the second time in the past three summers my tour company has put us up at this clean, modern hotel just slightly off-the-beaten track in downtown Barcelona. Even though it is not near the tourist sights, the Metro stop directly across the street makes it easy to get around town. Although the neighborhood looks and feels relatively safe, one member of our group was pickpocketed as we stood outside the Catalonia Atenas. Supposedly no place in Barcelona is safe however.

The hotel rooms are modern and clean. The amenities in each room are much like those in every American hotel chain room - TV, Clock/radio, soaps and shampoo, phone and air conditioning. I didn't notice any peeling wallpaper or stained carpet which are so common in European hotels. The walls were a bit thin and outside noise could be annoying when the a/c wasn't cranked up. Free WiFi is available after getting the sign-in and pasword info from the front desk. Fast enough to check Facebook and email, but not for uploading your travel photos.

There is a comfortable little bar downstairs which is a fun place to share an evening watching football with Spanish locals. Up on the roof is a wonderful little pool which overlooks the city. Unfortunately, security will kick you out around the time the sun goes down and you get the most beautiful views of Sagrada Familia and Torre Agbar.

Breakfast at the large buffet was adequate, but unexceptional. Fills the belly.

The staff was nice enough on both visits. They were very helpful with directions and face to face requests, but trying to call down to the front desk to fix a problem in the room wasn't always acted upon promptly.

Thankfully there are now two sets of elevators which eliminates the long waits our tour groups experienced in the past. There are also vending machines with reasonably priced drinks in the lobby. However, a tiny shop just a few doors down sells bigger bottles of agua for half the price.

Room Tip: Request rooms on the back side of the hotel instead of those facing the street. Stay away from room...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for two nights.

Reception people were ok, friendly and helpful.
Rooms were not clean..( especially If you are going to a four star hotel). We felt that some motels we have been to are far more better!
For a 4 star there is no tea/coffee facilities (which is basic) and no bar fridge in the room we stayed in. The weather was hot and we couldn't keep our water cold. Very disappointed with that.
Floors felt sticky and unclean. In the bathroom, the drains doesnt drain properly so if you take a little too long in the shower you might end up having a bath as well.
The hotel safe is so small you can't fit a 13" laptop inside. Must put a €40 deposit for the lock part separately at reception.

When it cooled down in the middle of the night, my partner pulled out a blanket from the wardrobe (all wrapped up in a 'cleaned and sterilised' clear bag) to find a used bandage still stuck on the insides of the blanket. I felt grossed out and really wondered about the cleaning standards of this 4 star hotel.

The Only good thing that came out from this hotel is its just a few steps from 'clot' metro station. That's it.

I would not recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed August 2012

Travelers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

Toulouse
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We got there quite late on a Friday evening to be told the hotel was overbooked, there were no rooms left and we would have to go to their sister hotel on the other side of the city near Park Guell for one night then come back to Atenas for the second night of our stay. They paid for the taxi to and from the other hotel but I got the feeling that if I hadn't paid in full when I booked the hotel online we would have simply been told to find somewhere else for our stay. The woman we dealt with in Atenas was very nice and apologetic but as it turned out she was the only one who seemed to know what she was doing in either hotel, everyone else was totally disinterested and bit useless. We asked if the other hotel was the same standard as this one, they said yes as they are both 4 stars but the park guell one is definitely not as nice. No pool for a start. We had to ask for compensation for the hassle which they didn't have a problem with (free breakfast both days an didn't charge for parking in the end) but they had to be asked, they didn't offer anything by themselves. The room was nice when we eventually got into it on the second night, clean and comfortable with good air-con and a spacious bathroom with a decent shower. The pool is ok but doesn't live up to the pictures on their website. It's pretty small and their are only a few loungers next to it, good views over the city though. We wouldn't have taken breakfast if it wasn't given to us free as it is expensive and you can walk for a few minutes outside the hotel and easily find some authentic Spanish cafes. But there was an excellent choice for the all you can at buffet and you can fill up for most of the day. The hotel is well located for getting to when arriving by car from the north but does take about 20 mins on the metro to get to the centre / sights. The metro station is right around the corner though so if you don't mind the journey it's perfect. You can also walk to the Sagrada Familia in 20 mins. Overall the Atenas was an ok hotel but I wouldn't stay again because of the hassle with the rooms (they tried to make me pay again in the second hotel and I had to argue with them for 10 mins before they accepted it was already paid for), too many of the staff are useless.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The only positive part about this hotel was the location: just in front of a metro station. Rooms are big but dirty and the cleaning lady is definitely not doing a good job. Two nights in a row she only left one bath towel for the two of us. Same story with the shampoo that, as another minus was of a very bad quality. Hair was all over the bathroom. The one glass that was used was not cleaned the whole stay (4 days).
Swimming pool on the roof top (one of the main reasons for which we booked this hotel) is incredibly small and there are like 6 available sun beds next to it. Last but not the least, they are supposed to have a spa center but we were told to take the towels in our room if we want to go to the swimming pool. I think this is the first spa hotel I have been into without towels available for the swimming pool.
I would definitely not recommend the hotel and won't go back again. It was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. Having read the reviews on tripadvisor, I must admit that I was a little apprehensive about having booked the hotel. Then when we arrived, although we were greeted extremely warmly by Santiago, there was a very irate guest at the desk who was shouting his complaints for all to hear. Dirt sheets, dirty room etc. this made me more nervous. However, Santiago apologised to us an continued with our check in.

We asked for a room with a balcony and were given a room at the front of the building with a covered balcony. When we arrived in the room the first thing I did was to check the shoes and the bathroom. Both were spotless. The room is really nicely decorated and while it is a bit smaller than other rooms I have stayed in it is quite sufficient and at no time did we feel that the room was too small. The sheets ant towels were changed every day.

I was aware from hotel reviews that there were no tea making facilities and so I came prepared with travel kettle and thus did not have a problem. We had a fridge in the room so were able to keep milk and water cool.

We di not book breakfast for a couple of reasons - firstly I felt 13 euro is a bit expensive and secondly I don't eat so much at breakfast, just toast. so with my travel kettle we had our own breakfast in the room as ther is a bread/pastry shop on the street at the back of the hotel (carrier Mallorca) one morning however we did decide to try the breakfast and it only cost 8 euro!!! And the breakfast is definitely worth that.

The pool was a little disappointing as while you know it is small you don't expect it to be so small. It is not really big enough to swim in but really for cooling down in the extreme heat of Barcelona. We had decided to spend an afternoon at the pool sunbathing but as there was no room we stayed on the terrace just beneath the pool which was wonderful. It was private and there was a shower for cooling down. to have this facility in a major city is fantastic though and the views from the pool area is wonderful.

All in all I felt this hotel was excellent, staff were friendly and helpful. Air con was adequate, not too cool. But just nice for during the night. Metro across the road. Direct line from airport. Close to everything.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank dimsDublin
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I agree with Barbara and others that is is definitely not a 4* hotel!!

First of all as a welcome you get arrogant and completely unfriendly receptionist Manon. This girl should definitely not be working at this position. She represents a complete lack of competences required on such position.

Secondly, housekeeping did not do their job good at all. The floor in the room was never vaccumed nor were the bedding changed during my 5 days stay. Water in the bathroom was hot or cold and was changing unexpectedly so I had to be very carefull not to burn myself.

A was really disappointed with this hotel, service and especially people!

Will never book a room there again nor reccomednd it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family