“Great choice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #205 of 760 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
“Great choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is a great hostel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The location is ideal, as it is steps from a major metro station (Diagonal) and within walking distance of many attractions and amenities. The atmosphere is very welcoming and relaxing. The beds are very comfortable. Not including a breakfast was initially a downside, however we were allowed to use the kitchen. The terrace is spacious and made for a nice area to chat with other travellers and enjoy a meal.
This is a great choice if you want to avoid the hustle and bustle and constant party atmosphere of La Rambla.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Deirdre R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vilnius
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

Perfect location, beautiful interrior (if you want to get something local) and friendly staff.

Room Tip: We got room with windows to the street, so we heard some noises but the room (colors and coziness) i...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank VickyLT
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

This small boutique hostel is centrally located a few steps from Passeig de Gracia (metro "Diagonal"), 15 minutes walking distance from Sagrada Familia as well as Plaza de Catalunya.

On arrival their welcoming international staff provides you with the map of Barcelona and all necessary information about attractions, restaurants, etc. I have never seen so friendly and helpful people like these working there in Hostel Duo.

I stayed in a cozy 4-beds dorm consisting of 4 lockers (big enough even to put clothes there!). Beds are luxurious and very comfortable!
Showers and toilets are in very good condition and spotlessly clean.
In the living room you can meet the other guests, have a cup of tee or coffee, plan your itinerary using lots of materials about Barcelona which are there for you, use the Internet (free computer as well as free Wi-fi access in your room). They even printed some pages for free for me! Incredible attitude. During sunny days you can sit and have a drink on the nice terrace but, unfortunately, it was under reconstruction during my stay.
They also offer simple breakfast (5,- EUR) and laundry service. The supermarket is located only a couple of minutes walking from the hostel

Two negatives I would like to mention: for those who prefer cooking in the hostel, there is no kitchen or possibility to cook. The second negative is no air-conditioning in your room. During my stay it was very hot there so we had to use fans during the night which were good but a bit loud.

Overall, this place is very recommended, especially for people who prefer good location and quiet, friendly place. Speaking about price, Hostel Duo offers the best value in Barcelona!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank kubo321
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at Duo as my first hostel experience, and I couldn't have asked for a better one. The staff was extremely friendly, offering advice on restaurants, stores, things to do and how to get there.

The hostel itself was very clean, and I actually felt more comfortable walking around barefoot there than in my own apartment. The four bathrooms were kept very clean and even with a full house, I never really had to wait for my turn. The beds were really comfortable, and included a soft pillow and comforter. It was a bit hot the first night and the fan didn't help much, but I can't imagine many hostels at this price have AC anyway.

The hostel was also located in a great location, just a block from a Metro stop. There was a great cafe just next door where we picked up breakfasts in the morning, and a Starbucks right around the corner for a taste of home.

The only "con" was the directions the hostel posted on their website from the airport. They say it's only 7 blocks from Placa Catalunya, when it's more like 12. They didn't mention there was a Metro stop right outside the hostel, which would have made the trek with my suitcase a lot easier...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sara730
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Hostel Duo was amazing! It was my first time staying in hostel, but the stay in Hostel Duo was a pleasent surprise. We stayed in 4 people dormitory, which was very nice. The beds were amazing, I have probebly never slept in a bed so comfortable! The whole hostel was very clean and cosy and the location very convenient. Also the staff was super helpful and nice. I would recommend this hostel to anyone on a budget holiday.

Few thigns that could be done better: There could be some reading lights beside every bed. That way someone's reading wouldn't disturb others' sleep. Also the lockers could've been bigger. My suitcase didn't fit into the locker, but I just kept it on the floor locked.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed in this hostel two separate times on my travels. On my first visit, I stayed for two nights. Overall, the facility was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The room was a bit warm (no A/C), but overall it was a good quality room. They provided in-room lockers that also helped protect some of your valuables. On this stay, I would've given it a 4 out of 5 stars. The only thing I felt could have been improved was their wi-fi/internet. The signal was so weak, it took me about 10 minutes to complete a basic task (looking up bus departure times) and I ended up missing my bus by a minute because of how long it took to verify the departure time. Overall it was a great stay and good enough that I booked another stay for a future night.

On my 2nd stay, I was only there for one night. I had booked a lower bed during my first visit and the lady was even nice enough to send me an e-mail confirming. When I arrived, I was given a lower bed and I felt all was well. I went out for some exploration and to meet up with some folks, and when I got back I found another guy sitting in my bed. Very confused (and slightly angered), I went to the front desk to ask what was going on. The lady mistakenly gave my bed to another guy because she forgot which bed was which. Now, because of her mistake, I had to sleep on a top bunk because she couldn't remember which bed was which. This peeved me pretty bad and I ended up not even sleeping in the bed. I have a small fear of ladders/heights and I ended up just sitting in the common room until I had to leave for my flight. To me, this is completely avoidable if they were to just number the beds to avoid confusion in the future. Based on this stay, I would give the place 2 stars.

Overall, the combined scores would average out to 3 stars. It has its flaws, but is still a decent place to stay. I'm sure most folks won't run into the bed issue, so think of it as a 4-star review unless you're unfortunate enough to have something weird happen to you as well.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo