“Beautiful modern hotel”
Review of Alma Barcelona

Alma Barcelona
Ranked #19 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Fantastic hotel. Very cool design. Service was excellent. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly, made bookings for us, recommended nearby restaurants helped us with planning our siteseeing. They were very enthusiastic about Barcelona and it made for a lovely stay. The restaurant and room service also excellent.

Room Tip: We liked being over the street. There was no noise and we could see what was going on outside.
2  Thank Leigh S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,913)

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed in November for one night and had so much work do to by emails so wanted to pay more and stay in a 5 star hotel assuming that I will have Wi-Fi in my room and can work quietly. Unfortunately 3rd floor wi-fi was not working and despite several reminders to Front Office staff , they did not do anything to fix it. Overall Hotel has a great location and that is what it makes it a target to choose. The restaurant was very quiet and had to eat alone where there was only another table inside. The vegetable tempura was delicious but fish served with rice was not accommodating my taste. Overall It is a dark hotel with minimum daylight coming in from the windows and balcony was looking to a some sort of back garden of other buildings. If they call this Life Style > let it be. The bed was comfortable and shower area was very clean and large.
At check out, I reminded cashier that I was upset with not having Wi-Fi in the room which ruined all my plans. He told me " THANK YOU - THIS IS HOW WE WILL IMPROVE" yes I agree with him but why I should pay for their improvement if they sell a product that is not inline with what was promised to me while I made reservation.
Not fair !!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eye-Hosp
almahotels, Director General at Alma Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Mr. Eye-Hosp

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at AlmaBarcelona . Although as transmitted on your feedback I regret not fulfilling completely your expectations.

We know the importance that wifi has got for our customers and this is the reason why we provide a free of charge service, which has regularly worked, so far, without many incidents. However, certain issues related to technology, occasionally, require specialized professionals, who we expect to bring us a solution as quickly as possible which, sometimes is possible and sometimes unfortunately not.

AlmaBarcelona Hotel has been developed as a typical Eixample building in the early XXth Century whose main characteristic is the existence of an interior garden that we have recovered and become our "Jardin del Alma" reminiscent of other significant, peaceful and unique gardens of the time .

As for lighting the hotel features dim lighting walks along with the philosophy of our product and understand that you cannot please everybody’s taste in the same way.

I would be grateful to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back in the near future at Hotel AlmaBarcelona if so decided so.

Kindest Regards,

Amaya Guisasola
General Manager AlmaBarcelona

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Alma was THE place to stay for us on our current trip to Barcelona! the quality of service and kindness was unmatched ! while the rooms and property are somewhat understated, the feel of the place was comfortable, welcoming, and just relaxing. a Very reasonable room rate was not bad, either!!! each staff member, from front desk, to bar attendants made us feel more like family rather than visitors. and the concierge services were unlike any we have had in recent trips to Europe!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank dralex6020
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in October and couldn't have been been treated better. The experience started with a glass of cava at check in and a finger print option for opening your room. The rooms were very quiet and had a peaceful grey toned theme. It is modern but had a rather zen like feel which is wonderful after a day of city life. Terrific location, would return in a heartbeat!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AliceRochester_NY
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The staff were extremely helpful to us. The check in experience was very, very good. The hotel is very pretty but if you don't like modern properties you might find this hotel a little spartan for your taste. Being fans of modern, contemporary styles, we liked it very much! And the location is PERFECT for anything you care to see in Barcelona

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I booked this hotel through Expedia for 2 nights. We got a fair price for what was supposed to be a 5 star hotel. The exterior is so "understated" that we often had difficulty finding it when we returned after sightseeing!
We checked in at 10:00 a.m. after a long flight from the states. We were exhausted and were told that could not get into our room until 2:00, regular check in time. Fair enough, I suppose. I was able to find a loung chair on the patio where I napped until then.
The interior is very modern and sparse. Also very dark. the floors were a dark, laminate which seemed cheap to me. The walls were dark gray, with black accents.
The front desk people were young and friendly; although, they could not help us on recommending a restaurant in the near vicinity.
Our room was fine. Again, very sparse, dark, and minimally furnished. The whole atmosphere, to me, was of pretension with no real luxury or accoutrements. They did offer a "free" minibar bar, with colas, juice, and, I believe beer.
At the end of our stay, our bill was a good bit higher than quoted by Expedia. I believe that the difference was an approximate 50€ vat tax per night, of which we had not been advised of earlier either by Expedia, nor the hotel. This made the hotel not such a good deal, at all!
The location of the hotel is very central and convenient. The bedding was comfortable.
They had a bar and patio which were fine. Nothing special. We did have lunch at the bar one day and paid 27€ (over $37 pp for a small plate and a glas of cava).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
almahotels, Director General at Alma Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

I am pleased you have shared with us your experience at Alma Barcelona, however it does sadden me to hear that we have not fulfilled your expectations in every way.
Alma Hotels is characterized by its simplicity, sobriety, and high quality products, offering our customers an unperceived luxury and comfort, hence perhaps the feeling of having difficulty in locating our hotel.
The same goes for the somewhat minimalist decor, faint dark colors and possibly the low light in some of the areas of the Hotel, however the idea is to always cause a sense of calmness and unnoticed luxury.
Regarding the check-in time, it is officialy at 02:00 pm, however we always do everything possible to expedite the check in time of our customers. I am deeply sorry if we could not check you in before time due to the high occupancy at the moment.
The price of our buffet breakfast is 25.00 euros/pax so I understand that the extra cost of 50,00 euros corresponds to two breakfasts.
Rates do not include breakfast, as per all our booking confirmations. Again, accept my apologies for this misunderstanding.
Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit to Barcelona as it would be my personal pleasure to greet on your next stay at Alma Barcelona.

Amaya Guisasola

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Great stay at the Alma. Friendly staff and we were given a room straight away even before normal check in time. Room had a great view of the Casa Mila rooftop.

The light switch took a while to get used to and the pillow a little too soft an the tv signal fuzzy at times. Other than that nothing to complain. Hotel location was superb.