“Lovely hotel, outstanding staff, great location”
Review of Alma Barcelona

Alma Barcelona
Ranked #17 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Houston, TX
“Lovely hotel, outstanding staff, great location”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We spent three nights at the Alma. Perfect location a few blocks south of the Diagonal within walking distance to the metro and many major sights (Sagrada Familia, upscale shopping, great restaurants, Rambla, Born). All of the young staff were very professional and polished.

Our first night was a little rough as there was a family with small children in the next room who woke us several times with screams and shrieks. Albert was so helpful upgrading us to a larger room on a quiet floor for the next two nights. We would would definitely pay for the upgrade next time as it was a HUGE room (with a sitting area) and a HUGE bathroom (with double sinks, water closet, tub and shower). There were two TVs although we never turned them on. The lighting was great in the bathroom (something that is often lacking in hotels everywhere these days), linens and towels of great quality, wonderful Bulgari toiletries (I don't usually notice toiletries). The free (!) mini bar was restocked with water, soda and beer was restocked each day. Our only complaint was that the free WiFi was pretty slow and spotty.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
College Station, Texas
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed at Alma Barcelona for several nights and loved it. It is well-located (especially if you are exploring the main Gaudi sites), quiet, elegant, and has impeccable service. Beginning with the stunning polar bear painting in the calm, gray-toned reception area to the turn-down service, all was great. The outdoor dining / lounge area was just right on several mornings and evenings. (Don't order a martini, however.) The pool and sauna were definitely worth a visit, too. My only tiny complaints are two: the wireless was less than reliable, and one morning on the terrace no one ever asked us if we wanted coffee or anything else.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor looking out over the terrace and outward to the rooftop of Gaudi's Ca...
2 Thank Pam M
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 31, 2013

In all the travels in the U.S.A and europe, this hotel is one of the finest hotels I have ever stayed.
Locations is outstanding.
Just off the main streets and yet quiet and serene.
Modern, clean and the people extremely helpful where to eat and directions.
I would give them 6 ****** stars.
It is somewhat pricey, but worth it.
John

Room Tip: Choose the finger print instead of a card key. Youll never have to worry if you left the key in the...
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Based on TA reviews, we stayed for 5 nights recently at the Alma hotel during our visit to Barcelona.

What I liked about the hotel were the following:

* the rooms were quite large as were the bathrooms which were quite luxurious,

* the hotel is very modern in its lighting, colour schemes and decor, and

* the hotel has a huge courtyard which is a tranquil and soothing oasis in the middle of the city - a good place to sit, day or night.

What I was disappointed by were:

* breakfast was not included in the rate. While I knew this when booking the hotel, in retrospect, paying 360 euros per night shouldn't require another 25 euros per person for breakfast,

* the spa and fitness centre are located under the building and are very closed in, humid and unpleasant. The fitness centre was poorly equipped, and

* the hotel does not provide irons or ironing boards. I have never experienced this situation before! Most 5 star (and even 2 star for that matter) either provide an iron in the room, or one that can be brought up by room service. Instead, the Alma provides a service where shirts can be pressed for a charge of 6 euros each which I consider to be outrageous for something I can and want to do for myself. Given that I was attending a conference, I required pressed business shirts daily. The evening staff who pointed this policy out to me explained that there was a concern about irons being a fire hazard.
I spoke with the front desk staff the following morning explaining my situation and that I was considering moving to another hotel. Given that I was staying in an executive room and I was booked for 5 nights, they then offerred to have my shirts pressed free of charge. While this gesture was appreciated, unfortunately I had already incurred significant stress in the process having scoured the internet for laundrettes in Barcelona (which also don't have ironing facilities) as well as considering buying an iron.

All in all, the stay was pleasant, but I would not recommend this hotel. I dont think it is good value for money, and its policy on ironing is simply extraordinary.

Room Tip: Don't plan on being able to iron any of your clothes: Either take clothes that do not require p...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank ___Dr__J0Hn___
Chelsmford Essex
Reviewed October 29, 2013

A 60th birthday treat for my sister in law - the perfect place - Most of the Guadi within 10 min walk
The rooms ( superior booked ) were large, clean and cool - My wife felt the dark interior a little drap - but I just found it attractive and understated.
The bathroom has a separate large shower and the sitting area a and sleeping area a TV each.
The wifi is free as is the spa - a steam room, sauna and relaxing pool ( about 3 foot deep )
My only critiscism is that I feel that at about £1000 for 4 days - the breakfast should be included - its 24 euro per head!! - Many hotels do this - but I just feel my good will dropping a notch every time I sign off for this.
Staff friendly and very helpful recommended an excellent tapas place nearby.
Overall great hotel, great location - would certainly go back next time I'm in Barcelona

Room Tip: Superior rooms - just great -
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mmChelsmfordEssex
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Alma hotel is close to Casa Mila and other Gaudi attractions and it is around the corner of the best designer shops in Barcelona at Passeig de Gracia. Accordingly, the design is chic, hip and cool. However, the muted colour combinations felt almost soulless.

The high point of the hotel are the rooms. Spacious with comfortable beds and with a great shower, opened with a fingerprint scanner. Wonderful that one doesn't have to think about the key.

The staff was helpful and lovely except the staff at the check-in. Too cool for their own good. The map provided by the Alma hotel is also more stylish than useful. Get one from the tourist office.

Overall a mixed experience.

1 Thank KarinGlobal
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We are a couple in our 70's. We decided to stay at the Alma Barcelona in October, 2013, because of its location in Madrid and the positive reviews it had received in TripAdvisor and elsewhere. Overall, we were quite happy with our choice. The location was everything we had expected, the service was excellent, and our room, facing the courtyard, was quiet.

However, some of the features of the hotel were just beyond us. The preferred way for guests to enter their rooms is via fingerprint (recorded at check-in). At our age, fingerprints are no longer legible so we had to use a single large room key that needed to be left at the front desk every time we went out.

Also, we never figured out the light-switch system in our room. Switches are located just inside the door and others are on a row above the bed. Some of them turn on a single light and others turn on a group of lights. Combinations of switch settings in the two locations have unpredictable results. One night we wanted to turn out all the lights so we could go to sleep, and it was difficult to figure out how to do that.

And inexplicably, there is no place to put things in the bathroom. Two hooks next to the shower provide a place for bath towels, but there are no hooks for hand towels, bathrobes, or other items, making it necessary to drop these things in the bathtub or let them lie next to the sink, where they invariably get wet.

All in all, the Alma Barcelona scores high in the "hipness" factor but not so much in the "practicality" dimension.

2 Thank caravanseri