“A Real Dilema”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #260 of 519 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights last weekend, and I have the dilema whether I would recommend this hotel or not.
Location is great, just off Las Ramblas, however the entrance at night can be a bit tricky as it is down a very narrow side street opposite a sex shop!
Room and facilities very good.Staff, fantastic, could not be more helpful.
However, the noise is a problem. First night, tired and a few San Miguels no problem. But the next 2 nights were full of interuptions from the street noise. I think because of the 2 narrow streets it is flanked by, the noise travels upwards.
I think for couples who plan on staying out late or groups out for the nightlife, definatley. For families with young children, then no

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alan H

Reviewed January 27, 2012

stayed there last weekend for three nights
thought it was terrific
clean, great price, excellent central location
staff were all excellent
several people noted the noise -- for us this wasnt a big issue the windows are good and also tight and since it is the winter they were closed - we were on the top floor on the side
the place might be noisy if youre in the front on a low floor
i got up around 5 one night and opened the window and noted that there were people out partying below the place -- i couldn't hear them without the window open --
place seemed like a very good deal to us

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jcw721
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I was very sceptical about staying at Hotel California when it was recommended to me by friends and also after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor.
Well, I was in for a shock. The hotel was great. Granted it was only two stars but it was at least three in my opinion.
We rented a triple room for two nights during the Three Kings Parade, for my wife, myself and our four year old. The room was very clean, had fresh linen and towels which were changed daily.
Granted there were some small issues with our room, as there are with almost any room I have stayed in, there was some small mould on the ceiling of the shower and there was also the annoying flashing LED lights as you entered the lifts from the lobby...but really these were more than overlooked by the helpfulness of the front desk staff, the location and the overall niceness of the hotel.
We experienced no noise issues which have been otherwise mentioned. On the day we arrived there was some concrete drilling going on in the building outside our window, when I opened the window to look at the alley I could certainly hear the drilling but when I closed the window there was no noise at all.
The location is great, just down a small, somewhat intimidating alley (but we had no issues at all at anytime of the day or night) very close (literally three minutes walk) to La Rambla. I may be wrong here, but there are several pubs/bars in the very near vicinity which cater for gay/lesbian crowds and it seems to me, only my opinion, that the area seems to be trying to tailor their business for that specific clientèle. Fine by me as these areas always seem safer and more friendly.
Breakfast is as they advertise, a very simple basic continental breakfast....suited us perfectly.
Would I stay here again, definitely.
Another small issue I forgot to mention, triple room means three single beds, no one stole my blanket or elbowed me awake...what a nights sleep!

Room Tip: We had room 403, had a small window and overlooked the small alley. No noise problems. Not large but...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Cooly72
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Returned from our 3 night stay at the Hotel California on 31st December 2011. Had a great time there.
The hotel was easy to find using the directions from a previous review (much appreciated in a busy city) as the hotel entrance is in a small alley.
The room was spotless and kept clean daily, my only dissapointment was the dark grout around the bath. This let it down slightly, but there was always plenty of hot water when needed.
We had room 203 and it was noisy through the night, but you are in the heart of a busy city and people are enjoying themselves!
Breakfeast was perfect, enough bread, pastries, cereals, ham, cheese etc to set you up ready for your busy day ahead.
Reception guys were good, always had a smile for you.

Overall a brilliant stay and if I were to visit Barcelona again i wouldn't hesitate to use this hotel. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wilk
Reviewed December 30, 2011

stayed here for 4 days in november with my family. excellent location, rooms clean , good breakfast and lovely staff. will definitely stay here again if i return to barcelona

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2011

arrived 8thdec. The hotel is in a side street just off la ramblas. Clean,tidy hotel,Friendly receptionists. Room was basic but comfortable. Location is perfect to explore the city. It is onlt 2 star,but I,ve stayed in worse 3 star hotels. If your on a budget it,s ideal.We had 2 balconies and noise is not a problem,even after "Barca " beat real madrid,the atmosphere was electric but very enjoyable... We would definately go back.

Room Tip: choose a corner room if possible for the extra balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The hotel was nice and clean and great staff. Breakfast was good and the price was very cheap. The location is great just off Las Ramblas and soo handy .

Room Tip: If you have difficulty getting up stairs you do need to ask for a groaund floor room as ours was on...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
admincalifornia, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2011

Good morning,

thank you every much for your criticism and comments.
We are very pleased to you had a good experience in our Hotel California.
Just there is a misunderstanding that of course we have a lift-elevator in our hotel.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy new year 2012.
We hope see you soon.

Thank you and best regards!

Hotel California