“Excellent value - a 'real' 4 star hotel”
Review of Hotel Espana

Hotel Espana
Ranked #103 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel is very conveniently located for La Rambla, Liceu Metro station, Placa Reial, The Market, The Gothic Quarter, 100s of restaurants and the Theatre. There is always so much going on in Barcelona and this hotel is the ideal location to see it all from.

The building has been beautifully restored and the rooms are modern, well appointed, very clean and comfortable with efficient, individual air-conditioning. My wife and I stayed in a Deluxe Room (204) which is one up from the Standard Room and at the front of the hotel. It had a King size bed and comfortable sofa. Everything else in the room was as you would expect from any modern hotel finished to a very high standard. Once you step out of the room into the public spaces everything changes and you appreciate the beauty and historic importance of the building’s interior decor. The roof-top pool looked most inviting although we did not have time to try it this time.

Each and every member of the staff were superb with excellent attention to detail and were very friendly and helpful, answering any questions we put to them with genuine concern.

I would recommend booking the buffet breakfast, whilst not the biggest range on offer, it was very fresh and topped up so often that it does not matter when you arrive for breakfast as you will always be presented with the same array. The coffee machine was rather slow, but worth the wait and was possibly the best ‘hotel breakfast’ coffee I have had anywhere.

I would have liked to have met the manager to pass on my thanks, but all I can say now is, if we return to Barcelona, we would stay here again without hesitation. Thank you and please pass on our thanks to you wonderful staff.

[I would also recommend the restaurant Gilda which is located almost at the end of ‘Carrer Ample’ (the last street on the left off La Rambla when walking towards the marina) dark, intimate and superb menu.]

3  Thank AlexKatz
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share with other visitors and us your experience in Hotel España.
It is really rewarding to know that the hotel has reached your expectations and that the hotel staff were helpful and nice. We work very hard for our guest satisfaction.
It will be a pleasure to personally meet you in your next visit to Hotel España. My best regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,641)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. Unless the good location i would not recommend to stay in this hotel because my IPAD3 was stolen in my room while we were visiting the city.
When i informed the reception about the theft they remained very cool and didn't do anything. I had also the feeling that it didn't surprised them at all. The IPAD was inside my bag on the room (not visible)... it's really unbelievable that such a hotel steels people properties.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank AxelSegers
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear guest,
I am very concerned about the incident experienced in Hotel España. We are investigating what could had happened with your ipad but it is not fair to accuse the staff about it.
We daily work to give the best service to our guests and their opinion certifys it.
I will contact directly to you to verify what occurred.
Sorry for the inconveniences caused. Sincerely yours.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Location is close to Las Ramblas which was really nice, but feels a bit like you are walking down an alley when you walk to the hotel. Staff was not overly friendly. No greeting when we walked in the door each time. Seemed to be consumed with paperwork. Price of coffee was more if we purchased it in the bar than when we purchased it in the restaurant. Decor is unusual. Room was small but comfortable. Felt the price was reasonable for the close proximity to everything. Clean and well maintained.

1  Thank JandJ_2011
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Hotel very well located for who want to stay near the Rambla, but very quiet. Beautifully decorated, despite the old building is being completely renovated with great design.
A less good aspect was the fact that the small window of our room not facing the street, but for a small indoor garden - it becomes difficult to see how the weather is outside.
But we recommend!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and with other visitors. We are happy to know that you had a pleasent stay and we thank you for recommending Hotel España.
We hope to welcome you in a near future.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

A beautiful historic building, nice renovated and giving you a nice ambience upon entering the Hotel lobby (see the beautiful ceiling in lobby). The room was nice and modern and comfortable to stay. The room is indeed a bit smaller as it looks on the homepage, space between wall and bed is tight. The terace is good for one person only, to small for a chair. The staff is very kind and helpful at any time. Breakfast is everage, better takeit outside at Rambla, there are hundret small and good coffee shops. Location is perfect - near Rambla(100 steps) and Placa Catalunya(7 minutes walk). Many historic places, old gothic part of Barcelona, Catetral, Palau Musica and Harbour is in walking distance. Subway station is at Rambla. I will take that Hotel again. I did not experience any noice even our room was facing Carrer Sant Pau. If you book online take the advantage of early booking so you can safe some €.

Room Tip: 308 was a nice room ( 4 night € 680.- for 2 pax)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sunny B
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

First of all thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It is very rewarding to know that you enjoyed your stay in Hotel España.
If you prefer a bigger room, I recommend you to book a deluxe or superior room. It is a little bit expensive but it worth it for long stays.
I hope to welcome you in a very near future.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We travelled two weeks ago for 2 nights. Location was fabulous, just of Las Ramblas but nice and quiet. On checking in we found the receptionist a little snooty, for example no offer to take our bags. "there is the lift" was about the sum of his helpfulness. We had a deluxe room, on the top floor with a large balcony, it was fantastic, really made the holiday, great views over the city. Some small niggles. The rainforest shower had no pressure, even though the hand held bit had excellent pressure. Also the light on the balcony didn't work. Both of these were reported to reception, but neither were dealt with during our stay. Also, maybe this is normal but outside morning and evening there was no water at all! In the middle of the night the taps wouldn't work, and it was the same in mid afternoon.

The other staff we met were very nice. We had some food and drinks on the rooftop and they were excellent. Checkout was very polite and helpful. They were happy to look after our bags for the whole day, and generally much nicer than on check-in.

In summary, we had a fantastic trip, I would wholeheartedly recommend the hotel, especially our room (despite the niggles). Its only those small issues that stop me rating this as Excellent. And I would definitely book the hotel again, and demand the same room!

Room Tip: Top floor external balcony rooms are pricy but jaw dropping. Well worth it
1  Thank ankles1972

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona and for letting us know about your experience with us.

We are very pleased to hear your received a good service from our staff. We work very hard for the satisfaction of our guest and it is very rewarding to know we made you enjoy.
As per your comments about the drawbacks I believe there was a misunderstanding at some point and our staff did not informed our maintenance staff at time … which I apologized for. We offer daily maintenance service.
Looking forward to welcoming you at Hotel España in the near future, we remain at your disposal for any further assistance.
Yours cordially,

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel several times - before & after the recent renovation.This beautiful,historic hotel, built in the Art Nouveau style has always had a great location going for it.
The staff are friendly & helpful.Since renovation, it now offers good value rooms all stylishly decorated.Nearby is the Liceu Metro station right on Las Ramblas. Also the Bouqueria market- a good stop for fresh fruits, cheese & cold cuts etc.-(also a good place for simple,on-the-go meals)The hotel also offers a buffet breakfast (a bit pricey,I think)- remember -there are lots of good, cheap places to eat right on nearby Las Ramblas. If you are a good walker, a lot of historic Barcelona is reasonably close-- also lots of tours nearby.I recommend the hop-on-hop-off bus tour.

Room Tip: Try for a superior size room if you have luggage- Worth the extra euros. Rooms away from the centra...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends