Hotel El Avenida Palace
  • Breakfast included
Average 3/5
    • Room Service
      2,326 results
      All reviewsgreat locationjunior suiteairport buslarge roomtapasreception staffrooftop barbuffet breakfastcentral locationsmall poolthe air conditioningcity breaksagrada familiametro stopgothic quarterramblasdoorman
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed April 5, 2013

The ultimate concern in a hotel review is would the reviewer return to the hotel in future visits. In the case of Avenida Palace my answer is an unqualified yes. I was a bit put off by some negative reviews that I read on TripAdvisor but because of the wonderful location and good price offered for my stay, I decided to "risk it".

Let's start with the location: If there is a better location for a hotel for tourists anywhere in Barcelona, it has yet to be discovered. If you will read even the bad reviews, the location is always given as a positive point.

The Hotel is a beautiful building, maintained properly

The staff is the highlight of the visit. They are unusually friendly and helpful, and more than that, they are in large numbers. I had the feeling that the hotel was slightly overstaffed in order that even in the busiest of times there will be an adequate number of personnel to serve the guests. I would especially like to compliment the front desk/reception/concierge staff for their good work, recommendations, and efficiency. At no time did I have to wait more than one minute (60 seconds) to be attended to. Check-in and check-out were efficient and pleasant.

The breakfast is more than adequate. The accessories in the room (soap, shampoo, shoehorn, etc.) were of good quality

Is there any hotel that cannot be improved? I doubt it. And so I would suggest that the cable channel include a channel or two of entertainment (i.e. other than news) and sports, in English. There was indeed "Discovery Channel" in English, but all the rest of the English channels were news channels (BBC, CNN, Sky News)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
      Reviewed April 2, 2013

First the good: the location is central. You can walk to Gaudi sites, stroll down wide, inviting streets, catch a cab for a quick cross town trip, take a bus to Guell, take a stroll to old town and more. The breakfast is good with many choices. The bones of this hotel built in 1952 are elegant so the photos are beautiful. There is a safe and our room had lots of room for storage.

The staff. Catalyan are different from you and I, plus Spaniards are known to be kind of direct with a fiery attitude. Some reviews say the staff was rude, but I think there might be a tremendous culture clash and they are constantly dealing with a place that looks great but does not deliver.

The bad. The rooms are old and need to be updated. We had a king sized bed that while large, was on the hard side and sloped a bit to the middle. Yes, we are not here to be entertained because Barcelona is a vast playground for the eye, but the wifi and television sucked. You gotta get a new code every day or so to get online and expiration comes when least expected plus the signal is not very strong and the log in is rather complicated. Come on, this is an exciting sports town but only 5 or 6 television stations all reporting the news are available with extra fuzziness thrown in for no extra charge...there must be a 24/7 Barcas FCB station out there? Plus where the hell is the clock? And how about some lights?

The ugly. Our first room smelled of rotten milk so the staff found us another room that still smelled stale. The HVAV is old school so change of season brings not heat nor A/C so thankfully the windows open to cool off the room at night. Being in city center you get a lot street noise. Besides a crappy TV as mentioned above, the towels were thin and not really available. The shampoo was okay but what's with the teeny, tiny soap and no lotion?

Barcelona is a tremendous city with great weather, a beautiful beach, exciting harbor, gorgeous vistas and out of this world sights...the residents kind of know it. Be prepared for tons of seafood including lots of fresh and fried shellfish. A pork lovers delight with more options than you can count. Tremendous bakeries and tasty tapas options. There are also many beggars, a lot of graffiti and a government that does not seem to know what they are doing.

Like the city, the Avenida is full of contrasts. I would really like to recommend the place but cannot until they make some much needed improvements.

Room Tip: A corner room will give you a view of Basílica de la Sagrada Família and may the harbor.
      • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
      2  Thank FredS2008
      JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel El Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Traveler,
      First of all thank you for spent your time giving us your opinion about the hotel.
      Please accept our most sincere apologies for all the incidents with the wireless speed at the hotel during your stay. We have allready refurbished 3 floors of the hotel, in the next months we will do the rest.
      I hope to welcome you personaly on your next visit to Barcelona and it will be a pleasure for me to show you our new rooms that you can see also in our website avenidapalace . com .
      I remain personaly for anything you may need.
      Sincerely

Javier Tomás
      Deputy Manager
      AVENIDA PALACE HOTEL.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I always try pay attention to trip advisor good and bad reviews, bad reviews are a big red flag and most of the time they are so right when is more than three of them. During my visit to Barcelona, I did not get a chance to see this hotel's reviews. BIG MISTAKE, all the bad reviews in here are correct, the hotel do have a rude staff, the rooms are dated and dirty, in particular the bathroom with hair and mold. The construction noise will keep you awake. The air conditioning does not work. You will think that with all the bad reviews they will get their act together, but nothing has improvedsince my last visit.
      To me the most important things when I stay in at hotel, # 1 Cleanness #2 Peace & Quite, and #3 good hospitality service and comfort. Well this hotel has none of them. Remember a bad review is a bad sign.

Room Tip: There are so much better hotels in Barcelona for the same price.
      • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
      3  Thank AbuDhabiDO
      JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel El Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Please accept our most sincere apologies for all the incidents happened during your stay because our aim is to give the exelence in service to our guests, please I would like to know when you were sleeping at the Avenida Palace and the dates to investigate in depth what was hte mistake from ourselves during your stay. Please you can e-mail me personaly to clarify all the incidents happened to jtomas@husa.es .
      Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
      Sincerely

Javier Tomás
      Deputy Manager
      HOTEL AVENIDA PALACE

Reviewed March 18, 2013

As there were a few 'bad' reviews recently, I decided to email reservation to request for a quiet and newly renovated room for our 5 nights stay. No reply for 48 hours so forwarded the email to the deputy manager Mr Xavier Gaspart who promptly replied with his assurance that our request would be met. On arrival me and my wife were welcomed by Mr Gaspart and his friendly staff and much to our delight a complimentary bottle of bubbly was brought up to our room later as the visit was to celebrate my wife's 60th birthday. The room on the 4th floor was spacious, clean, had a newly decorated bathroom, original art deco fittings and furniture and comfy beds. We couldn't get the aircon to work so ended up with having to sleep with our window opened.

Location of the hotel is superd and is within walking distance to all the major attractions in Barcelona. There are also some fantastic restaurants within 10 meters of the hotel. Mr Gaspart had recommended Ciudad Condal and the tapas were very good. Next to this is Nostrum which sells delicious microwave ready meals(self service or take away) for 2 to 5 euros. Big selection and very popular with the young. Wife claimed that their risottos were tastier than the paella we had at the Ramblas! Expect queues at both during peak times. The 9th floor restuarant/tapas bar/buffet in El Corte Ingle's department store with a view of Catalunya Square & half of the city is also good value for local grub.

Great city and will definitely stay here again if visiting Barcelona.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
      4  Thank micky168
      Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were 3 adults and got a large room for 3. The room was well equiptted, and the bathroom was very large yet without any ventailation. The room was a bit worm and we had to open the window in order to cool it down. Breakfast was rich and tastey and service was perfect. The staff was very friendlly.
      Location is best, just 200 meters from plaza catalunia with a metro station location 20 meters in fron of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends