“Standard single room i”
Review of NH Sants Barcelona

NH Sants Barcelona
Ranked #209 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Average hotel in a nice location (only 5 mins walk from Sants) Standard single room was as expected quite small, but in addition really dark. The place was quite noisy, doors banging was particularly loud during the night.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,391)

Reviewed May 23, 2014

This hotel is good for short term stay. However, I don't like the floor, ceramic titles. This creates a lot of noise when people moving chairs. Therefore, can't stand it more than two nights. Believe if the hotel can put some kind of padding under the legs of chairs, then everyone will be happy.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We go to Barcelona on a regular basis for work, so our interest is actually more on hotels that are close to the meeting venue than the tourist attractions. Nevertheless, I can say that from this hotel it's pretty fast and easy to reach most points in the city via public transportation (metro/train), which makes the location just as interesting as closer to the Ramblas, for example, and for a nicer price (for 4****, we're talking of roughly 50 euros difference/night). Breakfast was pretty good. We've noticed that when there's more affluence of guests(=weekends), the itens disappear quite fast, but they are replaced with no delay. The week seems to be a bit quieter. Rooms are nicely sized, with all the needed commodities. We had a room facing Numancia, so in the morning on working days the noise of the traffic from the road can be a bit annoying and disturb your sleep. Maybe a room facing another direction may be quieter. All in all, good hotel.

Room Tip: Not facing the road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2014

A very friendly staff. An excellent breakfast, although coffeemachines need some adjustments. Clean building and rooms and good daily cleaning. The location of the hotel is perfect and near the subway(s).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights and it was a really good base to explore Barcelona. There is a metro station just a few minutes walk away, and then just four stops to the centre of the city. Friendly staff, lovely room and bathroom with a well stocked toiletries range, and very nice choice at breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed there for 2 nights and I swear if I hadn't prepaid I would left for another hotel.
Location might be tempting, close to Saints station, but it is an uphill 10-15 minute walk, so if you have luggage then you'll be dead tired after such trek. It is also far from most tourist attractions, so you need to take metro or other means of transportation to get where you need to go. Side note: be prepared to pay additional 1.21 EUR per person per day of city tax, which is not included in your booking, even if you prepaid. Some guests, as I spend a considerable time in the lobby (read below), were quite surprised that they need to pay at check out additionally.

Check-in. This is were all has started and set the tone of my visit in this hotel. To sum up: customer service almost non-existent. Arrogant as the city of Barcelona itself.
But to the point. Check in is from 15:00. OK, it is written on the hotel website and this might be Catalunya's policy in regards of all hotels, but... seriously, 15:00 is the right check-in time? But again, this wasn't the real problem. I arrived at this hotel at 11:30. Yes, too early, I know. I approached the reception person. No eye contact whatsoever. Greeting was as cold as ice on the Arctic, simple, short "good morning", without really looking at me, thus without real meaning of "good morning". I said I had a reservation and gave him my booking confirmation. No "thank you", nothing. Then after few seconds of clicking on the keyboard, again without eye contact (computer screen was still more important, than the hotel guest), I was told that: "I don't have a room for you. Check in time is 15:00." Exactly those words, no "apologize" or "sorry", nothing. I said I would wait in the lobby, should the room become available. So I sat there for... 3,5 hours, exactly until 15:00. As I wrote above, I don't have a problem with such late check in time 'per se', but... As I was sitting in the lobby, in front of the reception desk, 10m away, over the course of 3,5 hours they checked in over 30 guests (yes, over 30) - couples with children, solo travellers, all sorts of people. For them rooms were available. Strange, I thought. However, I was sitting on the sofa politely, looking from time to time at the reception staff. They were looking at me, and that's it. There were at least 4 reception staff members present, but nobody never approached me, asking whether I do need something, maybe glass of water, or the room is available, nothing. OK. over 30 guests later at 15:00 I approached reception desk again and gave my reservation to another person. I was told that they don't have a room I booked but I will be given a better room, because I was upgraded. OK, I thought, however as I booked a standard double for single use it seemed almost unbelievable that the hotel of this size has run out of rooms of this type. I finally received a card and went to the room. I entered it and it was a typical double room. Yet, quite small. The bathroom was also small, very small. With very low ceiling. Small bathtub. Whoever was responsible for design of the bathrooms at NH should think about it again. Two down lights will give you the light but they won't provide you with the light in the area you need, ie. mirror. But it seems this is a common problem at all NH hotels I stayed - poor lighting of bathrooms plus awkward set up inside. Air flow in the bathroom was also poor. Room was equiped with minibar and TV set. TV was an old LCD type, but it served its need. WiFi was painfully slow, but thankfully you didn't need to enter codes and passwords, just your name and room number. In my room there was one small mirror in the corridor leading to the doors - hardly any use of it when the mirror is placed in such inconvenient place.
Now the rest of the hotel services.
Breakfast. Breakfast room is in the basement area. You need to take an elevator. For such big hotel there are just two lifts. So you can imagine that sometimes you need to wait for a long time. I entered the breakfast room/restaurant. Staff member at the entrance was more interested in internet browsing than the guest. OK. A recurring theme, I should have got used to it by now. I expected typical NH breakfast spread. Well. It was looking like it, but... Can you imagine they served fermented carrot juice! Come on! You can taste it before you serve it to your guests! I was in the breakfast room 20 minutes after they opened - breakfast is served from 7:00 to 10:30 (7am is too late in my opinion, esp. if you need to leave the hotel early in the morning) - but they run out of scrambled eggs already. Nobody from the kitchen bothered to check this out for another 10 minutes. Breakfast spread was poor in comparison to other NH hotels. In comparison there were half of the food options I knew from other NH hotels. Fruits - limited options. Cereals, again limited. No gluten free offers. Another setback.

I know this may sound like a rant of an always unhappy person, but believe me, I stayed in many hotels and I don't complain over minor things. In fact I never complained until my stay at NH Numancia. I understand we are all people prone to make mistakes, people working at service industry have the right to have a bad day. But in this hotel I see a systemic problem and with such customer service they only can survive because of the NH brand and Barcelona's never-ending flow of tourists, meaning there will always be guests to pay their salaries. However, this is sub par hotel with sub par customer service. If you want to spend money for a 4 star hotel, then look for something else. Barcelona has many other hotels with real 4 star quality of service.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank Joshua W
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Hotel is close to Barcelona Sants train and metro station. There are a lot of mini markets in surrounding area. The room was nice, even it was on the ground floor looking at the inner court. Bathroom was spacious and clean. Breakfast was tasty. Enjoyed my stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo