“Basic bed and (without) breakfast, keep away despite the positive reviews & alleged awards !!!”

Eric Vokel Boutique Apartments - Gran Via Suites
Ranked #14 of 732 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Barcelona is a beautiful city, do not spoil your mood, do not spent your money on Vogel apartments.
Initially we wanted to stay in a Spanish owned serviced apartment near Sagrada Familia but we changed our mind as VOKEL had many positive reviews and awards (just imagine!!) and is closer to the city centre. We had read numerous reviews online with regards to this apartment and had felt confident that we were making a good choice. BIG MISTAKE !!
We would not recommend staying here, it has to be the worst apartment we have ever stayed in. For the price they charge, the flat is appalling. The facilities such as .. The flat was not particularly clean and bathroom toiletries such as soap bars were not provided while shampoo were provided only once a week!!
We've stayed at many luxury apartments around the globe, and by international standards this hotel would be two starts at most.
We actually came to Barcelona after spending three days at the fantastic Mandala luxury apartments in Friedrich strasse, Berlin. No comparison to Eric Vokel whatsoever! Eric Vokel is more expensive and looks like a tent compared to them :
• Horribly expensive – not value for money
• Not clean, no sound insulation (you can hear every neighbour’s steps and even the topic of their discussion), Incredibly noisy ventilation motor starts with the bathromm light (other apartments' ventilation is also heard), extremely noisy elevator which you hear everywhere in the apartment
• cheaper than Ikea furniture and kitchen appliances, no drawers in the bedroom, no hangers anywhere, nowhere to accommodate your open luggage, almost zero space to place toiletry in the bathroom, not confortable rooms anywhere
• No view (as stated in the internet) – small balkony overlooking walls of other blocks of apartments
• Cleaning (?) every 7 days ONLY (!) if you are lucky(!) to stay so long
• No soap bar in bathroom, no kitchen towel provided, no coffee bags, no tea bags, no sugar bags, not even salt and pepper
• You will not find nothing in the kitchen, apart from
o a useless coffee machine for which you have to buy yourself KRUPS coffee capsules (where and when a visitor could buy something so specific ! ?) (that’s what we were told when we inquired about providing us with coffee and tea bags)
o a stinking ½ lit boiler and the
o cheaper pots and pans we have ever seen
• Almost zero water pressure in the shower (be prepared to spend longtime for taking a shower and be prepared for alternating warm->cold water, if someone else uses another tap
• “the high speed internet” is slower than a turtle
We stayed there many nights and as a courtesy not even a single complementary tea bag or coffee bag was offered which costs less that 0.10 euro cents.
Apparently the owners are a dutch no frills company ! Never ever to VOKEL apartments !
One positive thing is the reception personnel which were very polite and helpful.
We kept asking ourselves who is writing those very many and very perfectish reviews !!! They even had a trip advisor award !!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank marianna c
ericvokelbcn, Gerente at Eric Vokel Boutique Apartments - Gran Via Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Mr/Mrs,

I'm Alex, the supervisor of Eric Vökel Gran Via Suites. First of all I want to tell you that I'm very surprised regarding your review as you mentioned most of our reviews are pretty good from people coming all around the world also we have several TripAdvisor Awards from 2011 (when we opened).

It would be good if you could inform me about your booking number and the dates of your stay like this I could check in our files the free cleaning services and the cleaning notes that we gave after checking the cleaning of the apartment (before your check in).

There are several points in your review that we changed longtime ago (cleaning every 5 nights not 7 (this was before), there is a welcome package in each apartment as shampoo and shower gel and we provide more during the free cleaning or if you ask them at the reception as we never enter in your apartment except for the free cleaning, many kitchen tools and the water pressure is very good also each apartment has is own water bomb so the hot water is only for your apartment, we are not sharing it with the rest of the building). The WiFi is working very well in all the building as we have routers in each floor in order to make it faster.

I'm really surprised about all your review but I hope that getting the details of your booking I could check all information and see what happened.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards,

Alexandre Petignot

There are newer reviews for Eric Vokel Boutique Apartments - Gran Via Suites

Reviewed January 6, 2014

The rooms are spacious and the builiding is very nice. The rooms look like the images, but the quality of furniture and fittings is quite "IKEA-ish". And in our room it was virtually impossible to sit 4 people in the living room/TV area. The sofa fitted two, and besides that there were only dining table chairs available. The kitchen has all the basic supplies. Cleaning wasn't too great.

The location isn't the best for tourist purposes (even though it's right next to a Metro stration). Placa d'Espanya and Fira de Barcelona (and the fountain) is nearby, but the area is mainly residential and Gran Via has very heavy traffic. I would prefer the Born area next time.

The breakfast option isn't worthwhile. It's basically meal tickets for a small nearby café, that you can exchange for coffee, juice and a croissant.

Room Tip: Get a high floor as there are a lot of traffic noise from Gran Via.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ssejer
ericvokelbcn, Gerente at Eric Vokel Boutique Apartments - Gran Via Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear guest,

First of all let me thank you for share your opinion about your last stay with us in Barcelona, I hope you had a good stay here.

We are taking notes about your opinion. We think that we're not in the centre of the city but it's just 10 minutes walking and it's very nearby buy subway.

Finally, I would like to thank you again for choosing Eric Vökel Gran Via Suites during your stay in Barcelona and it will be a pleasure to see you again in our other buildings of Eric Vökel Boutique Apartments.

Regards,

Laura Montolio

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We enjoyed staying at this apartment on a recent family trip to Barcelona. It's a great home away from home. With four people in our party, this funky modern-styled apartment provided a great place for our college and high school aged children to stay with us. They loved the Ikea-like furnishings and fun carefree atmosphere that the artwork and lighting fixtures provided. The location was in a nice residential part of the city, but could have been a little closer to Barcelona's attractions and nightlife - However, it was close to one of the metro stations which compensated for this fact. When staying at an apartment vs. a hotel, you give up daily towel and laundry services; along with a 24 hr concierge. However, the staff was helpful during business hours. A night watchman was a good addition to the staff and provided a good sense of security to the building. We would definitely recommend this living arrangement to others; especially if you had even more people in your party because the living room couch opened up to provide for additional people, if needed. The Eric Vokel apartments offer a great value for your money in an expensive city to visit!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

First of all let me thank you so much for sharing your opinion with the rest because it can be positive for the others.

I apreciate your good coments and mentions about us. We aren't in the centre of the city but it's just 10 minutes walking and by metro is very nearby.

For doing more comfortable and safe your stay, we're working with a security company which is working the weekends.

I want to thank you again for have chosen Eric Vökel Boutique Apartments during your stay in Barcelona and we hope to see you very soon in Barcelona again or in Madrid too.

Laura Montolio

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our family of five travelled to Barcelona on a city break and stayed in Erik Vokel apartment.
We enjoyed specious rooms, wide beds (even the sofa-bed in the lounge is quite big) and overall cleaness of the apartment. We didn't have any problems whatsoever as everything was to the highest standard. After all day walking and exploring the city we relaxed in our apartment either watching DVD, surfing the internet (WiFi is free) or planning tomorrow activities.
We dream to one day come back to this magnificent city and if we are lucky we'd like to stay in the same apartment again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ericvokelbcn, Gerente at Eric Vokel Boutique Apartments - Gran Via Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Fist of all we would like to thank you for letting us know about how your experience with us was.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that everything was to your liking.

Thanks again for choosing Eric Vökel as your accommodation in Barcelona and we look forward to seeing you again.

Òscar de Jesús

Reviewed December 4, 2013

The Eric Vokel Gran Via is an excellent place to stay while visiting Barcelona. The apartments are well stocked, clean, and very modern. Alex and Carlos (reception) are just in one simple word FABULOUS!!! I have only good thing and high praise for this property. Viva Eric Vokel Gran Via!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ericvokelbcn, Gerente at Eric Vokel Boutique Apartments - Gran Via Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Linda,

Thank you so much for a such reveiw, we are glad to hear that you really loved your stay with us.

We hope that you enjoyed the city and had a nice birthday with us!

Please do not hesitate to contact us in case you want to visit any of our other locations and we will offer you our best rate.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Kindest Regards from Barcelona,

Alexandre Petignot

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We have just returned from these great apartments and I cannot recommend them enough. Although we did have a bad start as we booked a shuttle transfer from the airport , the driver dropped us off at the apartments but didn't wait for us to enter the building . We rang the buzzer but there was no reception person there ,we managed to get in by pressing different numbers as you had to enter your last 2 digits from booking reference ,this was 20.30 at night so it was dark and quite difficult to see . When we got inside it was an automated check in system , we entered our reference only to be told there was no booking , you can imagine we were not best pleased as we had no idea where we were etc. There was a 24 hour phone by the side of check in machine so I picked it up and a male answered , I told him there was no booking for us and he was asking me where I was it took a couple of replies before I realised we were in the Eric vokel boutique appartments not the gran via , the fool had dropped us at the wrong place . The man told us to wait there as he was sending a taxi for us , wow wat a relief . Only problem was we were annoyed that we had already paid for transfers and even gave the driver a tip ! We kept the receipt as I was going to complain when I got home but we needn't have worried because when we arrived at gran via we were met at reception by Carlos who could not have done enough for us and even paid us the money back for the taxi . Excellent service , we were checked in a couple of minutes and were given room 12 which was ideal as it was on the first floor so no need to use the tiny lift .
The apartment was fantastic , we booked for 2 person so we're very impressed when it turned out to have a separate bedroom and also another double bed through the dividing partition and a sofa bed too . The place would sleep 6 . I had read reviews which said there was quite a bit of road noise from the apartments at the front of block but this was not the case as the main bedroom was towards the back with the patio opening out to the courtyard and electric shutters , it could not have been more quite it was great . The apartments are extremely well equipped with everything you need for your stay in Barcelona , you even get a little cleaning pack with dish soap , clothes washing tabs, scourer and wiping cloth. There is also a toaster, kettle , coffee maker , hair dryer and the apartment is a very generous size too.
These apartments are in a fantastic location for seeing all the sights etc as they are located on the main through road which leads directly from the airport . Gran via is the huge long road which leads right to the centre of the city and all it's attractions.
I must also say that before visiting Barcelona I was warned several times about the pickpockets. Obviously you need to have your wits about you and be on your guard as you would when visiting any major city , we had no problems with regards pickpockets or any one else but it takes away the experience a little bit because you are constantly on the defence and really you shouldn't be because there are some lovely people there and I also saw a few locals warning people that they had left their bags open.
Also we used the metro which is so easy and convenient to use , there is a stop right across the road , get a T10 ticket which gives you 10 journeys and if you are a couple you can use it between you , it really is so easy. There is also a lovely patisserie next door and also lots of bars and restaurants along the road , also quite a few supermarkets.
We booked to go to camp nou with Carlos at the reception who was most helpful . All the staff at the gran via are the most helpful I have come across in a long while in the hospitality industry they truly are a credit to the Eric vokel group. Without hesitation I would defiantly stay here again when visiting Barcelona. Thankyou so much for a great few days and in particular a big thankyou to Carlos.

Room Tip: Pick a room on floor 1 as you won't have to use the tiny lift
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WoosterManchester
ericvokelbcn, Gerente at Eric Vokel Boutique Apartments - Gran Via Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the very positive comment about our apartments Eric Vökel Gran Via Suites. We are proud to see that our work meets all those visiting our apartments. It is really nice to receive such a good review about our apartments thank you so much for taking the time to write this comment.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that it was great and also you could quickly forget the incident for the first night. Our work goes beyond the care you may need, so I would pay a taxi again or would do everything in my power to solve any kind of unfortune sorprise you might have. Eric Vökel has a great team of professionals ready for do anything.

Thank you so much for your nice words to myself. It is a really honor for me to receive comments so rewarding, it's been a pleasure dealing with you, I look forward to see you soon in our apartments, we will be more than happy to your welcome.

My best wishes,

Carlos

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We wanted a few days in Barcelona before joining our Cruise and wanted some degree of Luxury and space without the high price of hotel suites. At a price below that of a standard hotel room we got an apartment much larger than most hotel suites. Beautifully clean, separate bedroom with dual built in closets, king sized bed, electric blinds, large bathroom with walk in glass shower, fully functional full kitchen with freezer and refrigerator, full dining table with 4 chairs, large wall mounted flat screen TV, coffee tables, sofa and chairs with comfortable seating for 4 and even another sofa that could convert into a single bed.
The apartments seem to be individually designed in a very stylish way which is so much more exciting than bland hotel rooms. There are very good pictures on the web. They are very quirky and very attractive. There is an old 1930s style lift which is enough to save carrying luggage up and down stairs but could become an issue if everybody left at the same moment. It seemed to work fine for us.
The location is very close to a subway station so you can get about very easily. It would be possible to get to the location from the airport on public transport if you needed to. We took a cab for 30 euros. It is also possible to reach the cruise terminal in the same way. We took another cab there too so I did not need to carry our luggage. When you reach 60 you want somebody else to do the heavy lifting! This is not right in the centre or in a noisy location. You are about 6 stops from the Rambler but you could enjoy a 40 minute walk there rather than a 10 minute ride. 10 Euros gets you a 2 day travel pass and I guess you could use that to get too and from the airport and even to the cruise terminal - we didn't, but we got all over the city with ours.
There is no room service, bar or restaurant but there is a bar next door but one and a great place to eat breakfast in the sunshine 40 yards further on just by the subway. There are 6 further restaurants and a 7-11 grocery store within a block but with the subway so close we ate elsewhere each night.
There is no swimming pool or fitness centre either but I never understand why you would want one in Barcelona!
We enjoyed our stay and will use this location again I am sure next time we visit Barcelona.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
ericvokelbcn, Gerente at Eric Vokel Boutique Apartments - Gran Via Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Mr.Neil,

First of all let me thank you for letting us know about how much you enjoyed to lodge at Eric Vökel Gran Via Suites.

We are glad to know that you likedthe facilities and the style the accommodation is set like. We also know how quirky our lift is and we want to let you know that it will get an upgrade real soon.

Thanks for choosing Eric Vökel as your accommodation in Barcelona and we hope to see again very soon.

Òscar de Jesús