“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #4 of 326 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

My Husband and I stayed here fir three nights in January for the start of our honeymoon. The first night we stayed in room four as the suite was booked. The last two nights we stayed in the suite. The location of the B&B is excellent, a short walk to Las Ramblas, The Gothic Quarter, etc. They did a wonderful job with attention to detail- restoring the muraled ceiling, putting in lovely lighting, rain showers, etc.
Room four was very small, but had a nice small balcony looking onto the street. The Suite was really nice- large room, huge bath tub, floor to window ceilings, etc.
Breakfast was delicious and the staff were very kind and helpful. I would certainly stay again there.
The one thing I was disappointed with was their response to our honeymoon. We booked online directly with them and had several emails back and forth. I had mentioned a few times that we were starting our honeymoon with them and how much we were looking forward to it. When we checked in, they never mentioned it. I wasn't expected anything in particular, but since it is a small B&B I was expecting a congrats, etc.
It was just a small thing that was disappointing, but worth mentioning.

Room Tip: The suite was really lovely.
1 Thank mekah23
Noemí B, Gerente at ANBA Bed&Breakfast Deluxe, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Customer

Thanks for writing a review on Tripadvisor.the feedback from our customers is very important for us, is something that helps us to improve day by day.

Thanks for rating our location in the historic center of the city, also the hotel decor.

All rooms have balconies, some with views on the street, others overlook our garden terrace chill out.

Our breakfast consists a variety of products for you to please all our customers. It is a buffet with homemade and natural products as well as some hot products.

We are sorry that you miss a detail with you about the honeymoon ... it's something we always do, we always have a detail for all customers coming on honeymoon, we think that there was a mistake in the reception department and was not communicated properly.

Noemi Benito
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

My partner and I stayed at ANBA during the Christmas/New Year holidays and we had extremely high hopes after reading the outstanding reviews on tripadvisor.

We did have a little difficulty finding the place, and when we got there we had to walk through a communal area (the building the ANBA is in shares the space with apartments), which was rather awful and didn't give the best of first impressions. We sat down to check in and the lady asked if we had been to Barcelona before and was friendly.

We were shown to our room which seemed nice, the ceiling was stunning. The room was very small and you almost felt as if the bathroom was part of the bedroom (the door was translucent). We then went out for dinner in Barcelona and when we returned we were greeted by the most awful smell imaginable. The room smelt like a sewer. I do recall reading this as a complaint on tripadvisor and the customer was assured the problem resolved. It most certainly hasn't been resolved and there was nobody at the front desk to resolve the problem (by changing our room).

We sprayed the room with my perfume and opened the doors, eventually we were so disgusted, we resorted to self-medication (wine) in order to tolerate the awful smell and get some sleep.

We were woken up very early by the sounding of cutlery and plates. All the rooms are close to the breakfast area, and the doors might as well not be there- you can hear everything. We got up early (as we couldn't sleep) and the stench was getting worse. My partner when to complain and I decided to eat some breakfast. There are two tables at the ANBA, so you are forced to sit with other people. If like myself, you would just like to have a coffee and food before you have to engage with others, then I must tell you, you cannot do this. The breakfast is mediocre at best, it certainly doesn't deserve any glowing review.

The lady at the desk told my partner that the sewage smell was a problem in Barcelona, but it only happened 3 times a year. I am not sure what she would define as 'time', but we had endured an increasingly awful smell for about 10 hours at this point. She offered us a different room, albeit without a pretty ceiling. If you want to go here because of the ceilings, you must understand that not all the rooms have these ceilings.

By around 9am, the smell was so bad in the room, I couldn't even walk in there to gather up my belongings. My partner came to my rescue and braved the sewer once again. He came out looking extremely sick, but we moved to a room without such a smell....or so we thought.

We then discovered the first problem in the new room. The heating and light controls didn't work properly. My partner went to inform the reception, and she said it would be turned off completely. We went to get some lunch and when we returned, the room was like an oven. Again, my partner went to reception, her response was a very rude "that's impossible"! When she came to the room, she admitted defeat, but there was no apology. It would seem that there is only good customer service if you don't complain about anything.

We went out again that evening and came back to the familiar smell of sewage. It would seem that 2 rooms at least suffer the same problem. So we were lucky enough to experience this same issue twice, in two different rooms!

In summing up I would say;

The rooms- small, nice enough- but the sewage smell is unbearable. The showers are a plus point.

The breakfast and area- not great, I would rather they put tables for 2 rather than only 2 large tables. However, the food isn't great so I would recommend you eat breakfast out.

Staff- nice enough, until you have a problem, then they become rude and hostile towards you.

I couldn't recommend this place I am afraid, it is very much overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sophevans311
Noemí B, Gerente at ANBA Bed&Breakfast Deluxe, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Customer

As I said to your partner, write two reviews for one stay is something that we consider malicious. I have already responded to your parter previous review, and now I am going to answer this second review to you.

First of all, the hotel has resolved your problem quick and satifactorily.

The hotel is located in an apartment building , occupying the first floor , the appearance of the ladder does not depend on the hotel's property , but we believe that the important thing is inside the hotel. Anyway this is a modernist building with a beautiful and historical entry .

The problem affected your room is a problem that rarely happens and this can be demonstrated when the check in the person who accompanied you to the room did not perceive any odor, and the next morning the person who cleaned your room neither perceived. We have our doubts about the existence of this scent, since you insisted much to receive financial compensation for this matter threatening to leave if this financial compensation was not made. You also commented that you had read on Trip Advisor that some previous client had been cleared as a result.

The hotel has an emergency telephone to resolve any problems that happen off reception hours . You could have called to report that there was an odor problem in your room : Had it done so , the hotel could have acted faster.

ANBA is a Bed & Breakfast Deluxe, and as such, one of the features it has is to make the client feel at home, and where experiences are shared with other guests in a family atmosphere. Many of our clients share their experiences with other guests in the breakfast time and seem happy to do so.
Our breakfast is very complete. It consists of the following products: fresh fruit , 2 types of cereal, milk, pastries, ham, cottage cheese, edam cheese , manchego cheese and brie cheese, prunes, honey hot chocolate, homemade pudding , homemade jams, homemade yogurt , homemade rice pudding , jamon serrano , chorizo ​​, olives, lettuce and tomatoes, assortment of sausages, scrambled eggs , boiled eggs, beans , assorted breads, fresh orange juice , coffee or tea nespresso. It is a full breakfast.

The new room where you were staying had no odor, has ever had ... and when you complained about the temperature, we came to your rooom to stop the air conditioning that was programmed excessively high.

İstanbul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Perfect rooms, perfect bathroom, perfect sheets.. very comfort bed. perfect breakfast with fresh orange juice and the best serial i've ever had.
perfect location.. a few steps from La Rambla.
I would never consider staying in another hotel in Barselona.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for writing your opinon on Tripadvisor.

It is a pleasure to know that your stay was satisfactory at ANBA.

We hope to welcome you again the next time that you visit Barcelona.

Noemi Benito
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

The place is very overrated on here because they offer a free drink to all positive reviewers, provided you show it to the management during your stay.

My fiancee and I stayed for three nights for a special new years break. Overall, I left disappointed.

Other reviewers reported a temporary issue with a sewage smell. Management responded on here by saying that it had gone. This is a lie, and when we got back to our room (room 5) after dinner on the first night, we were confronted by a horrendous smell of sewage - when I say horrendous, I mean it was like sleeping in a public toilet. Unfortunately, as no staff work after 10pm, we were stuck with the room.

I requested we move rooms for the remainder of the stay and said I expected a refund for the previous night. We were left for nearly an hour without a room and the management seemed argumentative. Finally they agreed a refund for the night and we took another room, this time minus the smell....or so we thought. That night the stench of sewage drifted through the room again, albeit less intense than the previous night. By that point, we were resigned...it was new year's eve and everywhere was fully booked.

The noise from the breakfast was disturbing, and particularly from the Nespresso machine. There are no coffee making facilities in the rooms, and so the Nespresso machine merely replaces this at a lower cost for the B and B.

After a few days of putting up with bad smells, frosty treatment from staff, and clattering plates at 07:30, I was happy to leave.

Overall, this place is an upmarket hostel. Don't be seduced by the ceilings. They are only in certain rooms, at least one of which is like sleeping in a sewer. If you're looking for an expensive place to 'rough it' then perhaps this is meant for you.

If, however, you expect a decent level of service for a place charging 150 Euro per night, then honestly, go elsewhere. I am still awaiting a refund on the first night, which I don't have much hope of receiving.

Room Tip: Avoid room 5, and maybe give the whole place a miss.
1 Thank timlamb
Dear Customer,

We have noticed that there are two reviews for the same issue, yours and the one made on the 17th of January. One review per reservation is correct, two or more reviews per stay, we consider that is bad intention.

We are sorry you have this opinion about our hotel , we believe that the hotel has acted properly and has solved the problem in the same time the complaint occurs, offering an alternative . When you complained about this matter, in less than half an hour you had a room available to make the change, and the hotel had confirmed the refund of the total amount for that night. l want to be clear that ANY hotel is required to refund the mone if a problem occurs, the hotel is only responsible to solve the problem (eg change of room). In this case, the hotel acted in good faith , offering an alternative and refunding the amount of the first night you spent here .

About the smell in the room I would like to clarify two things, upon your arrival one person of our staff came with you to the room and has confirmed that there was no unpleasant odor at the check in time. The cleaning lady that cleaned this room the day after also confirming that there was no odor in the morning. I wanted to believe it was true, and that you acted in good faith. Now, seeing your insistence in a economic compensation, we are not sure if there was a real problem or not.

About tripadvisor reviews, the hotel invites guests to leave a review on tripadvisor during their stay, as it is much easier then that when they get home . The hotel offers a beverage as an incentive, but never urges the customer to leave a comment type or another.

Furthermore, the hotel has made the refund of the money to you, and you know it. This refund has taken a few days , because you booked through an intermediary, and the intermediary is the responsible for the refund. We ordered the refund the same day.

The hotel offers free Nespresso coffee 24 hours. We consider that this is it is an extra facility for our guestsm also some cookies or pastries to accompany. The Nespresso coffee is high quality service.
Hamilton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is our third stay at ANBA and this places yet again warrants it's 5 stars. Won't repeat the superlatives from previous reviews, suffice to say the personal attention and quality of this establishment continues to improve from what were always exemplary high standards to begin with.

Noemi, Miguel and Jessica just can't do enough for their guests. The rooms are still cool and elegant.

Do yourself a favour, book here on your next visit to Barcelona, these guys deserve every success.

Room Tip: They are all excellent
1 Thank andricScotland
Dear Andrew,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with the Tripadvisor community.

We are very happy to know that you had a nice stay in ANBA for the third time.

Thank you for your comments about the personal attention and quality of our establishment. It is a pleasure for us to receive you year after year!

We look forward to receive you again next time you visit Barcelona

Best regards,

Noemí Benito
LONDON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in Room 3. Upon arrival we were shown around the BB and to our room. Beautifully decorated hotel with some lovely touches. Our room / bathroom was clean and modern and had a lovely balcony looking out onto the street. (little bit noisy when the doors were opened but this is to be expected when you are staying in a city). The bathroom had some lovely amenities and a great shower. The minibar fridge was nicely stocked and prices were very reasonable. We also had a desk/office area which was useful as extra space for a suitcase etc..

Only issue we had was with the temperature control. When we arrived only the air con was working and being December, we needed the heating to work! This was fixed promptly but unfortunately the heating never turned off automatically! Not a huge problem but arriving back at the hotel every day we were greeted with a scorching 29 degrees bedroom! Opened balcony doors for a while and just ensured heating was Off for the rest of the night.

Breakfast was lovely and the free nespresso machine is great as it is available 24 hrs. Very helpful and friendly staff.

Location of Anba is excellent. 5 minute walk to Catalyna Square. Metro station literally outside the door which is useful although we only used it once as we wanted to enioy the December sun so we tended to walk everywhere.

What I would say to those of you considering booking this hotel is that it is small and most rooms lead onto the breakfast dining area so be prepared for noise from 8am onwards, mainly from the preparation for breakfast. We were awake most mornings at this time anyway, but just expect some noise from communal areas.

Overall, a wonderful stay in a small luxurious BB offering a fab location in Barcelona. Book it!

Room Tip: Maybe request a room further away from the breakfast area.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Londonlg
Noemí B, Director General at ANBA Bed&Breakfast Deluxe, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your review on Tripadvisor. Your opinion is important for us, this way we can improve our services everyday. We are pleased to know that your stay was so enjoyable and you would recommend our hotel. We try to offer all the comfort that a customer visiting the city deserves. We regret that during your stay you had problems with the heating. It is true that one day this month the heater failed, and the staff reacted quickly and solved the problem, although the problem was solved quickly, the heather system didn't work properly during two days. We are sorry to know that it was fair for your stay, but it is a system failure that has been punctual and never happens. Regarding the noise comments, we would have gladly offered a room away from the breakfasts if we had known that your stay was affected by the noise coming from the breakfast area. Anyway thank you very much for comment since the hotel will take steps to fix this problem ASAP.

Traductor de Google para empresas:Google Translator ToolkitTraductor de sitios webGlobal Market Finder

Desactivar traducción instantánea
Pearland, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here Nov 1 & 2 with 4 other couples. We arrived in Barcelona after a cruise and took a taxi straight to the B&B. Unfortunately we could not check in right away because we arrived in the morning and the rooms were still occupied. We went out sightseeing and checked in later in the day. Jessica and Miguel were very helpful with sightseeing tips, directions etc.

The rooms were very nice and my wife and I stayed in the suite, definitely worth the upgrade. There was a problem with Room 5, it had a sewer smell that needs to be fixed, so if you plan on staying here make sure you request one of the other rooms. ANBA was very good about it and when the couple traveling with us complained, they refunded the cost of the room.

Finally the B&B is in a great location just a short walk to main tourist areas and convenient transportation.

All in all this is a very nice B&B.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Noemí B, Director General at ANBA Bed&Breakfast Deluxe, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for sharing your review in the Tripadvisor Community. We regret that during your stay you had a problem with the odors in room 5. It was a specific problem that is already solved and that only lasted a few days. In the center of Barcelona, in ​​this hotel and in others, it sometimes happens that when the change of weather / season arrives (hot - cold) or it is going to rain a lot, smells of pipes can change, and sometimes, just sometimes can affect to homes, hotel rooms etc. .. usually very punctual and very unusual, but it's true that it can happen, both here and in other buildings.

Thank you very much again, looking forward to receive you in the next future if you come back to Barcelona.