“Friendly and good food”

Neighborhood: Barceloneta
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Friendly and good food”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to go to the neighbours but they had no place. But this was no problem. Friendly staff, and the paella was great. The sangria good have been better, but that was the only flaw. Enjoy your dinner here!

Uckfield, UK
“All very nice...until the bill”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Yesterday, I was writing a review of this restaurant and was confused that other reviews were generally very poor. However, I checked the bill again, to include the prices in my review....only to realise that we had been overcharged. I scrapped my good review and felt very cross that we had been conned.
We had set out to go to Can Majo but there was a wait of one hour at 2.30pm on a Tuesday - surprising but then a clear sign of how good Can Majo is. A waitress from next door La Vinya del Mar tempted us to this restaurant. It looked fine and the price was very reasonable. Lovely atmosphere. The food and service were good - very nice starter, a good paella and nice tiramisu; also a 'free' glass of sangria (or beer, soft drink etc) on the house. Certainly no complaints at this point!
I usually check the bill and had actually done so at the time we paid, but had saw that a service charge had been added. And MISSED that the set meal of 18,60 (as shown by the waitress) had been charged at 21,60 (which is the Sunday and holiday price). So our bill was in fact 13,50 euros more than we were led to believe: I'm not bothered about the 4,50 service charge, but am not happy about the extra 9 euros for the meal which I think was deliberate and not a mistake!
Notes to self: check bill properly! And be wary of restaurants that feed off the good trade of excellent restaurants! And book the excellent restaurant, rather than opt for something inferior!

• Visited April 2013
Herndon, Virginia
“Enjoyed it!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Gosh, this review is in stark contrast to previous ones, but we enjoyed this restaurant. We originally set out for Can Majo (right next door) since that one seems to be highly rated for paella (we lived in Spain for 2 years, I am very picky about my paella!). First off, let me say that Can Majo was extremely rude, so if you want good service or even a remotely polite "I'm sorry we don't have any tables available", don't go there! We went on a Sunday at about 2PM and thus seating was very tight. The hostess at La Vinya made all efforts to make our wait pleasant, offering drinks (their sangria is good, btw) and standing room in the shade. Once seated (after only 15 minutes when we were told 30), a waiter was right there, getting new drink orders and asking if we wanted tapas to begin. Order the salad with goat cheese and walnuts, yum! We ordered the mixed paella which included scallops, shrimp, and chicken as our main course, which was tasty. Because Barcelona paella typically does not use as much saffron as, say, a southern paella, this hit the spot for the family. There could have been more scallops, but plenty of shrimp to be found! Did not have dessert, so cannot speak to that. Overall, this was an enjoyable late lunch for the family. N.B. this is right on the beach, so you will pay for that view!

• Visited May 2013
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Walk past and don't go in”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We wanted to have paella and asked our hostess for restaurant recomendations. She said that somewhere at the end of the Almirall Aixada street there was a good place. Apparently, we end up sitting next to it...

The only good thing to say about this place is that starters were good. All the rest was terrible. We paid almost 60 euro for two and I consider it a waste of money. Hopefully, you won't make the same mistake.

• Visited September 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Terrible is an understatement”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

There was a lady on the door who talked us into coming in, making promises about the food. But once we were in we were shoved in a corner and forgotten about, and I was told I could only have my choice if someone else also had it, despite the lady on the door telling me I could have it anyway. The service was abysmal. I waited for two hours before I received any food. The rest of my party had finished their three course meal before I got anything. I had to ask the rude, ignorant waitors several times for my food, before eventually having to beg. Then they added VAT on top of the bill, which was not advertised on the signs for the three course meal deal. It is the worst meal and worst service I have ever experienced anywhere in the world. I would highly recommend that this place is to be avoided at all costs.

• Visited July 2012