“fantastic introduction to spanish tapas”
Review of Food Wine Tours

Food Wine Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$54.80*
and up
Private Spanish Wine Tasting Experience in...
Ranked #59 of 196 Food & Drink in Barcelona
More attraction details
Owner description: Experiences for Hungry travelers in Spain we offer a range of unique and exclusive food and wine experiences, gastronomic tours and activities in Spain.Highly personalized service for corporate travel, leisure groups and independent travellers.Why Food & Wine Tours?We create and hand-pick the best Food & Wine experiences in different cities and wine regions of SpainHighly personalized service for independent travellers and leisure groups.We want you to #havefunWe want you to feel like you're travelling with a local, everywhere you go, every time you experience a tour.We don't think travellers should simply 'take our word for it.' We rely on feedback from travellers like you who've experienced our activities first-hand.
Reviewed September 28, 2013

this is the best way to see barcelona city and taste the range of tapas the city has to offer, the sangria is to die for and we had a great time and the food is plentiful i totally recommend to book this tour as it is worth the money spent and to also try the wonderful fruits of the city as well.

All reviews
"tapas stops"
"chocolate tour"
"gothic quarter"
in 9 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 4 reviews
"nico"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Barcelona Tapas Walking Tour by Food Wine Tours

Overall the Barcelona Tapas Walking tour was a great experience and was the best way to start off our 4 day stay in the city last September. My girlfriend and I met our tour guide Nico at a tapas bar not too far from our hotel (La Inglaterra). This was our first night in Barcelona and my first day ever in Europe! As a dyed-in-the-wool foodie, a food tour for my first night in Europe was a no brainer. The first tapas bar gave us a sample of many of the most common tapas and some regional white and red wines. The tapa I fell in love with immediately was the Catalan tomato bread. For those who have not tried this, it is a thick piece of country-style bread with fresh tomato rubbed on the top of the crusty bread and drizzled with Spanish olive oil and high quality salt. It's very simple, but delicious. I would come to look forward to each restaurant's incarnation of this regional specialty.

Along with a few Australians, a Japanese man and some other Americans, Nico led us around different sections of Barcelona, such as the Gothic Quarter, El Born and various neighborhoods and plazas. We visited the famous market called La Boqueria off Las Ramblas. Nico provided good historical information throughout the walk. The second tapas bar had great selections of pre-made tapas. In the end we finished at a third dining location. The last place was more of a restaurant and we had the bottom floor to ourselves as part of the tour. We ordered more food which was cooked to order and all very good.

NOTE: our tour started at 5:00 PM and there was a lot of food to eat by the end of the three hours. If you have dinner reservations the same night, you may not be hungry in time. If you want to go out to dinner afterward, set a late reservation like 11 PM.

RECOMMENDATION: ask your tour guide about restaurants to check out during your stay. Food tour guides can often point you toward restaurants that are off the beaten path. Nico gave us great recommendations for paella in a beach neighborhood in the city (La Barceloneta) and a restaurant in the Eixample district that we would not have found easily on our own.

2  Thank Jesse M
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this tour. Our guide Mireia was enthusiastic and shared such interesting stories with all of us. Some in our tour group were a little surprised at the amount of walking involved - it is truly a walking guided tour of part of the city with the reward of 3 delicious tapas stops. I thought the length of the tour was perfect. I loved walking through the Gothic area since our hotel wasn't in that part of the city, and REALLY enjoyed the market visit. We visited the market ourselves later in our trip and made a few purchases - something that would have been intimidating without the Mireia's words of wisdom on the tour! All her food suggestions at our tapas stops were great, as were the drink suggestions. Highly recommend going on this tour!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

If you ask me what this tour is about, I'd have to say it is more focused on introducing the city to you with stop overs for you to experience the local Tapas culture. It is most certainly not a bar hopping tour nor is it an eat-all-you-can tour. Because the tour takes you through back streets and alleys of the Gothic sector, you should take this tour early on during your stay. Otherwise, you'll find yourself re-visiting places you had already been to.

To get the most out of the tour, you need to be interactive! Keep your eyes open, ask questions, tell your guide what are you interested in, etc. Our guide was a great lady who are more than willing to answer our questions. Thanks to her, I now knows my way to some excellent merchants (and yes, they are not really difficult to find now that I know what I am looking for), tasted my 1st alcohol free beer which I drink almost everyday afterward during my stay.

Is the food great? Not really. I'd say it's above average -- but I do love the mushroom Tapas. If I were to make 1 suggestion to improve the tour, I'd say increase the number of "pinches" from 2 to 3 (or 4).

1  Thank JohnnyChu