“loved this old cafe”

Pastisseria i salode te Brunells
Ranked #40 of 106 Bakeries in Barcelona
Neighborhood: El Born / La Ribera
Description: A lovely cafe and bakery on the same street at Picasso Museum in Barcelona
South Burlington, Vermont
“loved this old cafe”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is very near the Picasso museum and a lovely stop for coffee or their amazing hot chocolate ( like melted mousse) and churros ( fried donuts)

Visited October 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Should have bought more and brought more back to Canada”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed in hotel Ciutat across the road and passed the shop often without going in. Finally on the last day we picked up a sampling of the treats and brought back with us to Toronto. Now we are trying to figure out how to have some shipped as we enjoy the flavours.
A nice treat.

• Visited August 2013
cape town
“genuine cafe”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

On previous visits to Barcelona, I always went to a delightful old school tea room off Portaferrisa called La Gran pallaresa for Cafe con Leche, churros and a freshly squeezed orange juice. On a recent visit I was really disappointed to find it closed for the month of July. but as luck would have it I was staying in an apartment opposite Brunells which turned out to be as delightful and more.
If you are a traveller more akin to places with a bit of history, and old school charm then you may enjoy this too. My excellent rating is based on my enjoyment of such places and the character and flavour of the city that they and the people running them imbue. It is not that its perfect, rather that I would always make there effort to go there whenever visiting Barcelona and often. The bakery treats are superb and there are beautiful tins of treats and chocolate bars that would make excellent gifts [although not during a heatwave!]. I was very comforted to get the same not entirely healthy breakfast and a lot more seductive pastries, treats and baguettes on offer. The location is near the Picasso museum, whose queues proved too intimidating at this time of year for me, in the interesting El Born district.

• Visited July 2013
San Francisco, California
“A perfect breakfast place before the Picasso Museum”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This place is great. 150 years in the same place (previously known as the St George). They make everything on site. The chocolate-dipped orange slices were superb. They are fresh and NOTHING like you've ever had from a box. The chocolate itself is fantastic. There is bakery service in the front and cafe (tea house) service in the back. Really perfect to eat here for breakfast before Picasso, as a mid-morning indulgence after the Picasso, or just because.

Visited July 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chocolate Almond Rounds”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My friend and I passed Brunells after visiting the Picasso Museum. They had these delicious looking chocolate discs that looked just like cookies displayed in the window which stopped me dead in my tracks. I said "I want that" and my friend was close behind. We both ordered some and to my surprise it was all scrumptious dark chocolate with fresh perfectly roasted almonds and light rice crispy bits inside. My only regret is that I didn't buy some to take home and that I didn't take a picture (they were gone too soon for that)!

Not to worry, Barcelona is a beautiful city that I will be visiting again and Brunell's will surely be on my list of places to go.

Sherron Blanks