1,036 results
All reviews la rambla great location quaint hotel breakfast room air con rooms are basic pick pockets few minutes walk tourist buses vending machine yogurt street side street noise three nights room was spotless central location bars and restaurants
Reviewed November 7, 2018

This is my third stay at Meson Castilla and once again I was very happy with everything at this hotel. The staff are just delightful and very accommodating and helpful. The front of house all speak English as do most of the girls who clean the rooms and the breakfast staff.
The rooms are large and bathrooms are spacious too. Most rooms have a desk and a fridge as well. The wifi service is perfect and they have a great selection of channels on the TV too. The beds are very, very comfortable. They have an iron and ironing board if you need it. The aircon and heating work really well and the hotel is warmed in winter and cooled in summer. The rooms are always absolutely spotless as is everywhere else in the hotel.
The breakfast is amazing and they have a special every day - eggs, serrano jambon, local sausage and pastries. It is a buffet style breakfast and there is a lot of fruit and they also have some GF items. Lovely to sit out on the terrace as well.
It is in a great location as it is very close to Las Ramblas and Plaza Cataluyna and is surrounded by alternative shops and many cafes and bars with really great food - no need to go to all the tourist restaurants.
I always feel like I am at home when I stay at this hotel and once again - thank you to everyone at meson Castilla for making my stay so comfortable and relaxing.
I will be back.

Room tip: Back of the hotel is quieter
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Gerard C, Director General at Meson Castilla Atiram, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Helen,
Thank you again for your time and for your good review. I hope our future guests will appreciatte this detailed review reflecting how is the Mesón Castilla and the staff.
Thank you again and we hope to see you son.
Best regards and come back soon,

Reviewed October 30, 2018 via mobile

Go anywhere but here!!! Kill yourselves rather than book a room in this hotel! This is SO bad.

I travel a lot. A lot! Just checked; within last 12 moths alone I’ve spent 37 night in hotels, and counting. And this is by far the most horrible hotel room I’ve EVER been in. No window (that certainly was not mentioned in room description when I made the booking) and room is tiny, maybe 8-9 sqm. All white walls etc, giving the impression of mental institution. With not even a cupboard for my clothes, but some kind of metal rack thing. The pictures on the website and elsewhere on the internet are like from a completely different hotel (well lobby is the same so I know I’m in the right place...) so basically this is a SCAM. This mental institution -room is going to ruin my Barcelona holiday.

Just checked in today for 7 nights, room 130. Unfortunately the room is already paid and unrefundable; I would leave immediately otherwise! I’m still considering it and calling this 900€ wasted money. I’d give 0 stars to this hotel, were that possible.

Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear Katia,
Thank you for your review. Despite it's a negative review, this help us a lot to improve.
On this way, i would prefer to clarify that yau have not spent any night to this room because we change your room at the same day of the arrival.
Due to your reservation was for a single room we booked a single room for you and it was not possible to give you a bigger room from the beggining because we understand that it's not comfortable to change the room during your stay. Despite of this, we did everyhting in our hand to offer the best stay with us and we change your room from the first day without need it to move it again.
We would appreciatte a lot if you could write another review because you know that this is not a "real" review of your stay. We appreciatted the opportunity to improve our service advising us from the beggining but once we have improved the service, keeping only this negative feeling on TripAdvisor is not fair (in my opinión).
Despite of this, we hope to see you again in the future because we want to offer you the best stay from the arrival moment.
Best regards,

Reviewed October 25, 2018

We stayed at Hotel Meson Castilla for three nights at the start of a hiking trip in northern Catalonia. This was our first time in Barcelona and I was pleased that the hotel was easy to find after shuttling from the airport. The location is great; only about 3 blocks from La Rambla and plenty of restaurants/bars nearby. Amparo, the person at the desk when we arrived, was very helpful providing us with maps and recommendations on restaurants and sights to see. The room was pleasant and comfortable. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel but after walking through the breakfast area I thought the price seemed high for what was provided. I would definitely stay at Meson Castilla again while in Barcelona.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Gerard C, Director General at Meson Castilla Atiram, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2018

Dear guest,
First of all thank you for spending your valuable time rating us on TripAdvisor.
We are very happy to know your stay has been succesful and it't the best reward for us.
Thank you again for your time and I will congratulate Amparo for her customer service.
We hope to see you again in the future.
Best regards,

Reviewed October 23, 2018

my son and his girlfriend stayed here recently in a beautiful room 5th floor with a terrace. very very comfortable and very close to everything. staff lovely. had a great stay. 1st time in barcelona. absolutely beautiful city. so much to see but not enough time. will return.

Dear guest,
Thank you for your comments. It's a pleasure to read reviews like this one.
We are very happy to know that your son and his girlfriend enjoyed your stay with us and I will congratulate the staff for their good service.
We hope to see them again in the future... and you could come also to the Mesón Castilla.
Best regards from Barcelona,
gerard Cabestany@atiramhotels.com

Reviewed October 23, 2018

I have stayed at this property twice in the last two years. After the first time, I wrote a review, explaining how much I liked it, except for one issue, which the management reached out to me to explain and apologize, and invite me back. I returned this fall, and stayed again.

I can say with confidence the only criticism I had of the hotel is now gone.

The location - The location is excellent. Steps from Universitat Subway, and less than 5 mins walk to Placa Cataluna and Las ramblas. Located at the start of the pedestrian only section of the trendy calle des tallers, it's located well within walking distance of tons of restaurants, bakeries, and shopping. As an added bonus, Universitat is also a stop on the aerobus from the airport, meaning the bus takes you from the airport to within about 100 M of the hotel. The area is young, but friendly and very trendy. It is in a university quarter, so you can hear the students having fun if you happen to be there on a Saturday night, but only if you're outside, i've never heard any noise in the rooms.

The Staff - the staff have always been friendly in my visits. This last visit, Amparo helped us out at the desk, and was patient with us, and made sure we understood what we needed. She was friendly and a pleasure. Last time I stayed here, the staff recommended an excellent Tapas restaurant nearby as well, so 2 for two.

The Rooms - The rooms range from simple single bed rooms, to suites on the upper floors with balconies. The smaller balconies look like they would fit 2 or 3 people, but the corner rooms have large square balconies that would easily accomdate 4 or 5 people. They view is primarily of the rooftops, but the sounds of the city and the lights at night are charming, plus it's nice if you like fresh air. The beds are much improved since my last visit and were wonderful. The pillows were so comfortable my wife wanted to ask to buy one, but we couldn't carry it where we were going. The rooms are well appointed with storage in the form of wardrobes, and the bathrooms are very modern, and well appointed. AC worked wonderfully.

The Breakfast - You have the option of adding breakfast at the hotel if you like. On this stay we had the hotel breakfast. Served on the first floor, in a charming banquet room, the breakfast was very good - fresh bread and rolls, meats and cheeses of several varieties, catalan sausage, hard boiled eggs, tomato puree with olive oil, fresh juice, and self serve coffee machines that grind fresh beans. It was what breakfast in europe should be. As a bonus, there is an outside terrace, which, if the weather permits, lets you have your breakfast in the sun and fresh air. If you're thinking of ordering the breakfast, it's a fine choice indeed.

Overall Value- Overall, i've had two visits, both excellent, and I have been impressed by the staff and management, who were very communicative, and really do seem to take pride in what they do. The price is actually on the lower end for the area, and given the location, I think it's a good value, bordering on very good. I won't hesitate to recommend it to anyone, and can't wait to stay there again.

Room tip: If you want a balcony room, try to get one of the big corner ones.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear guest,
First of all thank you for spending your valuable time explaining your experience with us on TripAdvisor.
It's a pleasure for us to know that the negative feelings with the last stay have been solved. Also we appreciatte a lot that you have decided to come back again giving us the opportunity to improve step by step.
I am sure the rest of the future guests will appreciatte your detailed review because it shows a lot the hotel details and the customer service we want to offer to our guests.
Thank you again for your time and we hope to be your host again in the future. On this way, don't hesitate to contact me when you decide to come back.
Best regards from Barcelona and see you soon.
Mesón Castilla Atiram Hotel