“Great location, but you get what you pay for...”
Review of Pension 45

Pension 45
Ranked #270 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Me and my girlfriend recently stayed here for 3 nights. We selected the property based on the price and great location and were aware of some of the poor reviews that others had given it here on "trip advisor".

Our room was clean and functional, but was small and devoid of any charm. (Sorry about the poor picture of the room, but you get the idea!) The staff were friendly enough and available 24/7.

The location really is great, though if you are not going to Barcelona for the partying then it is quite loud throughout the night. The nearest Metro stop was Placa de Catalunya, only 4 minutes walk away.

Ultimately, I could only really recommend this place if you are on a really tight budget, or if you are perhaps traveling across Europe and need a cheap place to stay.

It comes down to this; great location and really cheap, but not really somewhere to stay if you plan to stay in for any sort of extended period of time.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RMC2008

Reviewed November 8, 2007

Yes, Pension 45 is cheap, but you get what you pay for!
The rooms are tiny, with poor lighting/ furnishing and the odd cockroach! The noise levels are dreadful...building site at the back and noisy revellers at the front!
I can't think of a single redeeming feature. I stayed there based on recommendation...a big mistake!

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed November 6, 2007

I had a mixed feeling about this hostal. It is very well located, 2 minutes walk from Placa de Catalunya and 100 meters from Las Ramblas. This location makes the hostal VERY noisy. My girlfriend and I are not
old (29) but we are not either heavy partyers and the first night of our stay there we almost couldn't sleep at all because of the noise in the street and the thin, bad isolated windows. Second night (Sunday
to Monday) was better. The staff there was very nice to us and tried to speak some spanglish to help us a bit.

Breakfast was included but it was a cup of coffee/tea + 2 mini croissants (1/3 the size of regular ones). Now about the rooms. It didn't look so clean even though it was not that bad. There were stains on the bathtub and dust under the bed. Bed was very bad for our
backs.

Overall I'd say it is a great place for people who plan to spend the night out and just want a place to crash. If you are expecting a confortable stay in Barca, do not stay there.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sebwv
Reviewed October 11, 2007

I stayed at this hotel due to the positive reviews on this site, however, I was not impressed by this place.

The room was really stuffy and at night it was hard to sleep. I don't think there was any A/C available.

We were woken up in the middle of the night by the receptionist, who did not speak English and we had no idea what he wanted... or why he woke us up at 5AM !@#@!#

Location wise this place is good, close to the Ramblas and placa da Catalunya.

However, I'd stay somewhere else the next time I go to Barcelona.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2007

This hotel is really bad, not only it's really dirty, the people there are not nice at all...and they try to take advantage of me seeing that I am a women and didn't speak that great spanish...
I called them and needing a room for one person, they said they only had vailable a double room which was souble the price...when I got there and was waiting to check in, there was somebody else asking for a single room for a night and they had it...so I try to tell him how come he told me on the phone that there were only double rooms and now, there was a guy just getting there now and the room was available...and he tryed to give me a lame excuse...well...to complete the experience, when I went to pay, he charged more then the price he told me over the phone...I felt horrible I was traveling alone, and from reading some of the reviews here I thought it would be a good, cheap and good location place to stay. I wasn't expecting a nice hotel for the price, but at least that the people there would be honest...Trust me, don't stay on that dumpster...

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank dri_dri79
Reviewed September 14, 2007

I'm an italian girl and I was in Barcellona this summer for the first time with a friend of mine.
I arrived in Barcellona just with my baggage and without reservation. I looked for a room and I was in a lot of hostels but finally I chosed one: Pension 45, the best I found in Barcellona!
It is located in a strategical place: you can reach rambla in just 2 minutes by walking and plaza catalunya in maybe 3 minutes.
The hostel is very clean and at the price of 25euro for person in a double you have included breakfast too (Abdel prepare a wonderful napoletan coffè!) until 12 in the morning. The most important aspect as regard as the hostel is its staff: the receptionist man is the best of all the world: friendly, fanny, and very serious!
I will never forget barcelona, pension 45 and the staff of the pension of course.
Thank you A. E.!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2007

I have nothing but great things to say about Pension 45.
The location is great! It is right close to the action on Las Ramblas, but is located on a fairly quiet street. Our room was very clean, and so were the shared bathrooms.
The staff was also very friendly.
If you want value for your money, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled as a couple