“Excellent Hotel in a Fantastic Location”

Hotel Ohla Barcelona
Ranked #42 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just came back from a weekend at the Ohla Hotel in Barcelona and it was one of the greatest weekends I ever had.
The hotel is situated in a great location, right between the Gothic Quarter and the Born, and within short walking distance from the Ramblas, Plaza Catalonia and other attractions.
Rooms were very comfortable and had pleasant atmosphere, with the glass shower adding to the ambiance.
The hotel staff were extremely helpful, with great recommendations on attractions and restaurants and assisted in any way the could.
The only down sides are that there is a bit noise from the street, but after coming late from the nights out, it didn't bother much and we just fell asleep, and the hot dishes at breakfast are very small.
All in all, if I ever come back to Barcelona, Ohla will definitely be my first choice for accommodation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Ohla hotel located in the middle of everywhere! We have google mapped all the attraction in a walking distance from the hotel to the first pint of interest, and from there to other places. The hotel located in Via Laietana 4 minutes walk to Barcelona Cathedral and 7 minutes to the Ramblas. Starbucks is just in front of the hotel main restaurant where the buffet breakfast is served. We took a junior suite which was modern, with a view to the street of the historic area. We were asked the day of booking to elect the type of pillows, sheets and bed aroma. Of course I choose Feather duvet for the Pillows, Egyptian cotton sheet 300 thread for the sheets, and Lavender for the bed sheet aroma! The bed was really comfortable!! The thing that I really loved about this hotel is the rooftop! The lounge area and the pool are astonishing. I've managed to watch the sunrise while I was at the roof, it was breathtakingly beautiful. The clouds are reflected on the pool water and the weather was amazing. There was some water at the ground on the roof the remaining of the rain from the day before, thus we couldn't sit at the lounge, we just kept looking at the beautiful view. If you are planning on visiting Barcelona I highly recommend Ohla hotel. We did not even take a bus or any kind of transpiration. We just kept walking around, and although we were there only for the weekend, We managed to visit most of the attractions. Like the Gothic Quarter, Casa Batllo, the beach which was 15 minutes walk from the hotel, and Sagrada Família around 20 minutes walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Junior Suite is the best!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Meemana
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in the Ohla hotel, the area around the hotel is on a large busy street and isn't as cool as la ramblas, el borne or the Gothic area but its only a short walk to the spiderweb of streets leading to the area's I mentioned. Rooms are a bit tight but all you need is in it, beds are very comfy. Staff were helpful and friendly, nice bar downstairs for a beer or cocktail one of the waiters doing the cocktails thinks he's a bit of a celeb got slightly offended when I didn't want one. Restaurant downstairs was nice food on the fine dining side all miniature breakfast there too i.e hot breakfast is mini sausages eggs etc. Roof top bar was cool waiter from mexico very nice chap plenty of info about bars and clubs.Its a bit pricey but that's the only real downside street side a bit noisy ambulance had us up, oh and the glass shower is in the middle of the room get it well steamed up if you on the shy side.
Hope this helps someone
Me.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael B
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was my third time in Barcelona for business and Ohla, definitely will be the hotel.
Welcome drink on the arrival, private checking, FREE wifi in all the hotel (I hate these hotels where you only have wifi in the lobby), fantastic location, amazing tapas in the restaurant Gastrobar, beautiful pool in the terrace, my room was very well clean every day with turn down service...... They have a michelin star restaurant but I did not have time to try it.
Calm atmosphere, intimate....Fabulous hotel.
If you come to Barcelona, you can not miss this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I booked the Ohla after a lot of research and after staying there all I can say is the only think 5 star about it is its location and its PR agency for securing it such impressive coverage!

I booked a junior suite and notified the hotel in advance that we would be arriving earlier than the advertising check-in and that if they could our room ready a little earlier that would be fantastic but otherwise we'd be dropping off or bags. We arrived at 11am, weren't greated as we entered the hotel until someone walked past and asked if they could help. As our room wasn't ready so early we pre-registered and left our bags to go an explore the city. We returned at 2pm (the advertised check in time) to be told that our room wasn't ready! No sorry and when I expressed my disappointment and asked why it wasn't available at the advertised time I was simply told that they were busy and that we could go shopping or buy ourselves a drink at the rooftop teraace while we waited. No apology, no gesture of goodwill. As a guest, it is simply not my problem that they are busy and have not managed their hotel properly to have rooms ready on time. And as someone who notified them in advance that they would be arriving early and staying in a more premium room, I would have expected a properly managed hotel to have prioritised the servicing of this room. But really it just boils down to the fact that the staff simply didn't care, which is anything but 5 star service.

The next morning it got worses - got down to breakfast half an hour before it finished to discover that there no available tables and at least 5 other couple waiting to be seated - again this was apparently not their problem it was "beause the hotel was busy". After insisting that the hotel call me when they could accommodate us for breakfast rather than waiting for a long time in the bar, we came down to find dirty and chipped bowls and dirty cutlery,

It was also missing other touches that I would expect in a 5 star hotel e.g. better quality sound proofing in the rooms (this is the noisiest city hotel I have ever stayed in and I stay frequently in London - the metro literally runs under the hotel) and more design features (the rooms were very plain - no painting/art or even lighting or furniture that gave visual interest and made it feel that was design-led). Towels were poor quality, there was no tea or coffee to use with the 'tea making facilities'. Our bed was never turned down and no-one asked us how our stay had been when we left. This is simply a hotel that doesn't care about its customers.

On the plus side, it's a great location. But in the terms of our experience in the hotel - it felt like a very expensive Fawlty Towers! I would be unhappy to have been treated they way we were in any hotel, but in one positioning itself as 5 star it is simply unacceptable!

I wasn't just extremely disappointed, but also upset that what was supposed to be a lovely birthday treat for my husband was tainted by such a poor service experience.

Room Tip: Windows appear to have no sound proofing so the higher up you can get a room the better
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank thewoodstoday
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is a boutique hotel, only around 70 rooms, sited very near Catalunya Square, where the buses from Airport stop. The staff are very helpful, friendly and efficient. Rooms are done early in the mornings and bins are often emptied during the day. A nice touch was chocolates on pillows every night and curtains drawn!

Rooms are bright. Unusually,there are no carpets, wooden floors and melanamine around the shower.

As it was a birthday, hotel provided complimentary bottle of cava. This was unexpected and much appreciated.

Breakfast is buffet style, with additional hot dishes. I suppose the waiter on duty in the restaurant for breakfast seemed to be the most unfriendly of all the staff. He seemed to have a cunning gift of avoiding eye contact and taking orders! However, once orders were taken, food quality was excellent.

As well as two types of coffee, there were several teas on offer.

Bedroom was spacious, clean with very comfortable bed. The shower is a feature of the room, with views to and from very interesting!

would I return - certainly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We are a couple from Canada and where enchanted by the Hotel and its sourroundings. The food was great at the tapas bar also. Friendly and helpfull staff, our concierge made sure our stay was wonderful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple