“Solid Choice”

Ranked #21 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
San Antonio, Texas
“Solid Choice”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

If this is your first, or fifth, visit to beautiful Barcelona, then you cannot go wrong with the Hotel Bagues. I stayed here recently for my second visit to Barcelona, my wife's first, and we wished we could have stayed much longer!

The rooms, bed, and daybed were very comfortable, we spelt great every night. The rooms were also large by Europeans standards - including the closets and bathroom. The hotel itself was very modern and sexy on the inside: the colors, the lighting, etc. It was perfect for my wife and me, perfect for couples - maybe not so much for families with young children? The hotel was beautiful on the outside as well, I could not tell you how old that building was but it was just beautiful.

There was a small balcony on our room which you could step out onto to overlook the rush of La Rambla. However, when you closed the balcony window, they must have really sound-proofed the rooms, because you could not hear the hustle and bustle of the streets anymore. You could not hear the rooms next to you either, something that cannot be said for many other hotels. Prior to staying at the Hotel Bagues, we stayed at another hotel in Madrid, which was not sound-proofed and where you could hear the street noise even with the windows closed.

Also, location, location, location. The Hotel Bagues was right on La Rambla, perfect for a "let's put our shoes back on and go get some xocolate and xurros" run. Not a far walk to the sea/La Rambla del Mar, to the Plaza de Catalunya, or to the very cool and hip neighborhood of El Born. And for when you want to get further away from La Rambla, close by to the Metro stops. When we got tired of taxis and something was too far to walk, I asked the friendly staff for Metro instructions. They were more than helpful, and gave us perfect directions on where to transfer, etc. to get to our destination. The staff never appeared put off by my questions, but rather were very welcoming and professional.

The front desk management and staff, overall, were very kind and courteous. In fact, they went above and beyond, in my opinion, to offer my wife and I the most pleasant stay possible. Prior to departing the States to Spain, I had purchased some tickets to a Barcelona football match, and when I encountered some problems printing them from the La Caixa machines, the front desk manager Ms. Saaikan made a phonecall for us, and also sent a kind young man by the name of Aritz with my wife and I to help us with our problem with the La Caixa machine.

The staff all seemed to speak English very well, though my wife and I preferred to speak Spanish with them instead.

We used their computer/internet/printer on multiple occasions (free), which was very convenient. We only wish we could have spent more time on the rooftop balcony of the hotel, which has an amazing view of the city, especially at night. We went in November, and so the balcony hours were a bit shorter and the daylight much less than in the spring or summer months, and so if you are going during those months their rooftop balcony (with bar, tables, and a small pool) would be a great idea for you.

Clean, comfortable, convenient, and "cool" is how my wife and I would describe the Hotel Bagues.

2 Thank Steven M
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Bagues, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to post such a good review about us.

We are a really focused in service as a 5* hotel but trying to do a bit more for you since we are a boutique hotel with just 31 rooms.

Regarding the building's age, it is a palace from 1850 right in the middle of Las Ramblas, the old town heart of Barcelona.

Thank you very much and happy new year.

Felipe Turell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
england
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was very expensive for the room. Admittedly, it had a very nice roof terrace overlooking the pickpockets of Las Ramblas with a miniscule pool, which was nicely lit at night. The free cocktail was a literal knockout. I can highly recommend "the vodka bramble". The area is well placed for el Gotic and you can just get lost and wander for hours. We bought a kettle as we wanted a cuppa at the end of a hard days night and there were no tea and coffee facilities. They did do a ridiculous folding-down-the-bed thing at night though where the chocolate elf put a nice choccy on your pillow. I'm afarid I would rather have the tea fairy. The food market is next door so you can have a lovely fresh breakfast on the cheap. There was free entry to the Egyptian museum, which was worth a look, especially if followed by a drink at the rooftop terrace bar of hotel Omm round the corner (which overlooks a floodlit la Casa Mila) and maybe a pinxo or 3 at tapas 24. The room was a reasonable size but while watching the tv on the leather seat you had a nice view of the bidet through the glass bathroom door! The shower was mahussive and the decor was sleek black slate. Low lighting was trendy but meant I looked like a drag queen for the evening. Watch out on Rambla Del Raval where the real drag queen / prostitutes and pimps hang out. Don't let that put you off the area though as there are some top notch bars there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ukcat1
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Bagues, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments about the Bagues hotel.

Regarding the turn down service i would like to know more about your opinion and what you found ridiculous because, to be honest, is the first time someone complain about that service.

Happy new year and thank you very much!

Evian-les-Bains, France
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is my second time in this hotel and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay again.
My room looked out over the Ramblas and opening the bay windows allowed me to be on the narrow balcony soaking up the atmosphere. With the windows closed the room was really quiet - you could change between being part of the Barcelona atmosphere or being quiet in your room.
The service was excellent and the staff very friendly.
The only downside is that you have to pay for the WIFI (although the cable connection is free) and that every time you re-connect you have re-enter the codes. A little frustrating and I think that the WIFI should really be free of charge.
However this should not stop you going to the hotel and I will be back for my next visit to Barcelona.

Room Tip: take a Ramblas facing room to soak up the atmosphere
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank manil0u
Dear Guest,

Thank you veru much for your opinion and of course for choose again the Bagues hotel as your house in Barcelona.

I would like to show how we care about the comments of our guests and how we change things to improve the guest's experience. Because the complaining regarding the WiFi we have changed to a free of charge service so i hope this make you feel even better on your next Bagues stay.

Happy new year and nest regards!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We really felt we made a great choice in choosing the Hotel Bagues for our five nights in Barcelona! The location is ideally situated - every destination we were interested in was just a quick walk away. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful - greeting us every time we entered the lobby, giving us advice on making the best of our trip, and genuinely being interested in our Barcelona experience. The hotel is very new and modern, and the room decor had a 'boutique' flair. Loved the balcony overlooking the church, the leather chaise, the stone walls, bedding and bath amenities (it took us a couple of days to get used to the glass bathroom door :o)! The rooftop bar/deck was a great place to relax and offered panoramic views of the city. Previous reviews had complained about Internet access, but 90 continuous minutes per day was adequate for us, and the there is a free, desktop computer available in their lower level business center. We would definitely return and recommend Hotel Bagues to others!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, splurge on a 6th floor room with an outdoor sitting area!
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for your feedback.

I would like to inform that from 3rd of december the WiFi internet is free with a standard bandwidth. This review was done before we made it free.

Happy new year!!

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Hotel Bagues to celebrate our wedding anniversary and had a fantastic time. Our room was deluxe suite on the fifth floor with views of both La Rambla and the Church (it was a corner room). The room was immaculate and the bed extremely comfortable. As previous contributors have mentioned the sound proof was fantastic and completely blocked out the hustle and bustle of the street. The location of the hotel makes it ideal for sight seeing and its an added bonus to be right beside the Boqueria market!! We ate in the hotel restaurant (El Regulador) and found both the food and service to be excellent. Definitely try the taster menu, everything on it was delicious. The staff were exceptional and I can not praise them highly enough. I would recommend Hotel Bagues to anyone, you will be guaranteed a good time!

Room Tip: Corner room 503 is a deluxe suite with views of both La Rambla and the Church!
3 Thank dosho
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to write about your experience in the Bagues hotel.

I would like to focus in our finest restaurante a place where you will find the best fresh products from la boqueria market, one of the most famous food markets in the world.

Also i would like to thank you for your comments about the staff, so happy to read this kind of feedback.

Happy new year!

County Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Having returned from a 5 night stay at the Hotel Bagues in Barcelona I would absolutely stay there again. The hotel is in an ideal location on La Rambla and is within walking distance of a lot of the sights such as the port, the market and Placa de Catalunya. The hotel is a wonderful size and the decor and layout is ideal.
Given we arrived on a mid morning flight into Barcelona our room was not ready when we arrived ( check in is 2pm - I knew this would be the case and had not expected it to be ready and did not mind) however the check in staff took all our bags and coats and did some paperwork with us so check in would be easier later on. Then we were free to explore and enjoy the area.

When we did check in our bags has been placed in our room and a staff member showed us how the TV, air conditioning worked and explained the hotel facilities etc. We had a room on the 4th floor with views over La Rambla and it was beautiful. The room was a good size (plenty of space to store the suitcases) with wonderful decor, beds were so comfortable and the bathroom was a good size too with a great shower and bath. Rooms are also turned down each night and they leave a little chocolate and a summary of the next days weather forecast for each guest, which is a lovely touch. The rooms are all sound proofed so once you close the windows you hear no noise from outside

There is a lovely terrace on the 7th floor with a small pool with wonderful views of the surrounding area and the church next door. Nice for a relaxing drink or cup of coffee. In the hotter summer months I believe it would be even nicer.
We also used the restaurant in the hotel twice for dinner and it was one of the nicest dinners I have even eaten. The staff were lovely and could not do enough for us, they explained each dish in detail, recommended dishes etc. The food was so tasty, (I had the ox and it was melt in the mouth) and cooked to perfection so the chef deserves great praise. I would urge anyone using the hotel to eat there if possible.

Overall I cannot praise all the hotel staff enough as they are they best I have ever encountered. They could not do enough for you and they recommended some lovely restaurants to try around the area and gave directions to places we wanted to go. I cannot wait to return to the Hotel Bagues and Barcelona.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank QuinEm
Dear Guest,

Such a great review about every single detail of the Bagues hotel. That kind of reviews are very important for our potencial guests.

Thank you very much for taking time to write all the review and for the words about the staff.

As i say in another reply the difference with other luxury hotels is that we work as a team with a common goal.

Happy new year!!

Hartford, CT
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Absolutely great place. We arrived in Barcelona after a cruise and then could not leave because of a storm back in the US and ended up staying for 4 days until we could get a flight. We found the hotel online. It is located in a great place on La Rambla next to the market. We could get everywhere by foot. The hotel staff was the best I have ever encountered in any hotel. They could not do enough for us. We asked for early check in arriving in the morning and had a room in 20 minutes. Their recommendations for anything we asked were always spot on and absolutely what we wanted. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your general opinion of the Bagues hotel and of course thank you for what you say about the staff. We work as a team not in a team, something difficult to find.

I would be pleased to have you again with us.

Thank you very much and happy new year!