“Visiting Gaudi's Masterpiece in Barcelona”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Batllo

Ranked #2 of 698 things to do in Barcelona
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Stunning outside,unimaginable inside!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Visiting Gaudi's Masterpiece in Barcelona”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2006

Before I went to Barcelona in 2004, I asked a friend who had lived there what are the must-sees. He said, "Everything Gaudi." I must confess, I had no idea who or what Gaudi was. When I found out that it's all about architecture, I basically lost interest.
I arrived Barcelona at night and met up with a friend of mine. The first words out of her mouth were, "I LOVE Barcelona." She took me to Casa Batllo, one of Gaudi's masterpiece. It took my breath away. I had never seen, nor could I, imagine something like that. I fell in love with Gaudi's work immediately.
Although La Padrera is not my favorite, you should start your Gaudi exploration there. It has a small museum area that has various model designs. It gives the visitor a great intro. Then I would go back to Casa Batllo. The audio tape is mandatory for entrance. But don't let that turn you off. It is well worth it. Another must-see for Barcelona is Gaudi's unfinished masterpiece is Sagrada Familia. You can't miss this one with it's tall spires. Again, the audio tour is worth every penny. Don't get skimpy here.
Lastly, a lot of visitors miss Park Guell. It's a little inconvenient to get to, although not very far. You have to walk for about 15 minutes. I went in mid-day. If you could go at sundown or dusk, I think it would make the visit even more beautiful. The entrance to Park Guell is free. Inside there is a museum that charges an entrance fee. If I were you, I'd skip it. It was not worth the money. Save your money for a glass of Sangria to top off the day.

25 Thank echoecho

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2005

Pictures do no justice. This is an absolutely stunning experience. The architecture is beyond words.

5 Thank Howard S
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Wheelchair-accessible Guadi architecture attraction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2005

Casa Batllo has an tiny elavator, so it loans a narrow-width manual wheelchair to visitors with mobility impairments.

3 Thank LittleHavanaGringo
Kansas City, Kansas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“better than I ever imagined”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2005

Casa Batllo was really the highlight of my trip, along with La Sagrada Familia. I didn't even know it was open for tours and only expected to see the facade. But the tour (while expensive - 16 euro for the inside, courtyard, attic and roof) was phenomenal! I think it's better than Casa Mila, certainly more whimsy, more fantasy.

Expect lots of people enjoying it with you... but take your time. There's so much detail you hate to miss anything. Truly fantastic!

4 Thank yorkistrose
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Gaudi Masterpiece”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2005

Designed to look like a serpent and Frank Lloyd Wright's nightmare. Hardly a straight line to be found. La Pedrera pales in comparison. WE LOVED IT!

4 Thank LAKNOL