“beautiful architecture”

Ranked #4 of 734 things to do in Barcelona
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Palau, an icon of modernist architecture in downtown Barcelona The Palau de la Música Catalana is one of the most representative monuments of the city and It is one of the most recommended tourist attractions of Barcelona. Built between 1905 and 1908 by the great architect Lluis Domènech i Montaner, the Palau de la Música Catalana is an architectural jewel of Catalonia and essential part of any visit to the city, as any of the most fascinating Gaudi buildings. This historical building, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1997, offers an experience so magical that visitors fall in love with it. From the hand of experienced guides, the wonders of this architectural pearl discovered and visitors into a fantasy world full of details and references to the characteristic nature of modernist architecture. An essential visit in the list of top 10 things to see in Barcelona.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a pretty special venue. Its right in the heart of Gothic Quarters in Barcelona. The architecture is amazing and will leave you very intrigued. Its beautiful! We bought tickets to Mozart's Requiem. And thought it was a great way to spend a few hours in this historical venue. You can also do guided tours but we had no time for that. A concert plus a self tour sounded like a better idea to me. It actually cost us less than the guided tour and we had a ball.

4  Thank qartik

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Awesome concert...wonderful Spanish guitar music. Fantastic time with everyone, the music was so special, relaxing...the artist was extremely ilnto the performance - lovely experience, we were lucky to be here to see it!

1  Thank marymaszy
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We hadn't planned to go inside, but at the recommendation of another traveler we had met, we decided to look into tours. Yes, tours were available...but there also happened to be an Opera/Flamenco performance being presented the following evening, so we decided to purchase tickets to get the best of both. In retrospect (and in my opinion), the performance was not a 'must see', but the interior of the Palau de la Musica Catalana was!. Intricate Tiffany glass ceiling and wonderful mosaic designs on the columns - beautiful.

1  Thank RutsUp
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Ahh, another extremely expensive ticket in Barcelona. But was it worth it? Yes! I still can't believe we spent 100 euro on 4 buildings (including this one and 3 Gaudi's), but had I to do over again I would do it in a heartbeat.

First off, buy the ticket in advance. We did this just a few hours before we wanted to go, once we knew what our itinerary was for the day. Don't feel obligated to do it days in advance and then feel trapped into your itinerary - booking the day of is fine. Unfortunately, you can't view this site on your own, but you must go with a tour.

First, you walk around the lobby and see the staircases and side rooms which are nice. Next, we went on the main floor seating area and they had everyone sit down while the guide talked. I was able to get up and walk around wherever I wanted to take photos, but not many did this, so it was nice. We were down there at least 20 minutes, we had great views of the dome on the ceiling from where we sat. I thought the views were great until we went up to the 2nd level - WOW! Again everyone sat in the seats while the guide spoke, and the view of the stained glass fixture is just stunning. It took a decent amount of time to get people out of the way in order to get a photo with our friends with no one in it, but it eventually happened. Unfortunately the person that took our picture forgot to get the stained glass dome in it. :(

From being on this tour and viewing the interior, I could only imagine what a performance here would be like. Next time we're visiting I will seriously consider going to s performance here.

3  Thank sandiUKLondon
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I have been coming to Barcelona for many years, and have always enjoyed and admired the modernist buildings and structures; however, this time I finally managed to get round to going on a tour of the Palau de la Musica - something I have wanted to do for many years but never managed to get round to. The building is an absolute gem, and the fascinating tour (preceded by a short film) is well worth the €17. Definitely a highlight of any trip to this beautiful city.

1  Thank gazzam76