“Great hotel”
Review of Colon Hotel

Colon Hotel
Ranked #72 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed January 19, 2007

Great hotel! We stayed there for 3 nights. It has an awesome location and its a 5 min walk to Las Ramblas. The double decker bus has a stop at the stop light. The cathedral is still under renovation. The morning breakfast is excellent. The best breakfast we had during our 3 week trip to Europe! Not much more to say that hasn't already been shared.

If you are traveling by train from the airport, get off on Plaza Catalunya. Its about a 10 min walk. Just ask for the cathedral and you'll find your way.

• Stayed: January 2007
6  Thank mikko77
There are newer reviews for Colon Hotel

Reviewed January 17, 2007

The hotel is in an excellent position for shops etc Our room 302 was awful - some lights not working, the old damaged furniture, awful non-matching wallpaper, old ropey bed - the room was like a prison cell and not terribly clean either. We tried to talk to the front desk about our disappointment with the room but chap not very interested.
Would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank 27chapel
Reviewed January 3, 2007

The previously discussed benefits of the Colon's location (right next to the gothic cathedral and in the middle of the Barri Gotic (gothic quarter) make for the above-average rating and outweigh the negative of abundant street and in-hotel noise. During our three day stay the staff were extremely nice and helpful at making reservations and helping us navigate around Barcelona. Rooms were comfortable enough (beds were short, so maybe reconsider if you're over 6'2", and these aren't Park Hyatt beds or sheets) and bathroom was more than adequate for 3 of us to share.

If you want to stay in the Barri Gotic, it's hard to imagine being better situated than the Colon. The noise is understandable, given the nonstop activity along the old streets, but if you're a light sleeper you should bring ear plugs.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
7  Thank TorG
Reviewed January 1, 2007

My younger daughter and I just returned from 10 days in Barcelona and Rome, and we spent a total of 6 nights at Hotel Colon and couldn't have been more pleased. We came to spend Christmas with my older daughter, who is studying this year at the University of Barcelona. The hotel was extremely convenient for us, since she lives just a couple blocks away. It's close to everything, and we walked everywhere or took the metro. The lobby is huge, the staff fell over themselves helping with luggage and questions, and the rooms were very spacious, especially by European standards. (I've had rooms in some of the nicer resorts in Vegas that were smaller!) The first 4 nights we had a nice double room, with a slight view of the cathedral and plaza from the little balcony. We were angled on the side, but close to the front. The cathedral is covered with scaffolding, so I didn't pay extra for a front facing room. The bathroom was large, with enormous robes, slippers and a basket full of toiletries. With the window shut, it was very quiet, but we often cracked open the window because the room was a bit on the warm side and there didn't seem to be any way to control it. We left for Rome for 3 days (stayed on Hotel Sonya, which wasn't the greatest), then returned to Barcelona and Hotel Colon for 2 more nights. The 2nd time we had an even bigger room, with a sitting area. This was more to the back, so no view. My only complaint was in this room, the bathroom lighting was pretty dismal. But I was extremely pleased with this hotel - the location, price, amenities, staff, etc, were all wonderful. I will definitely stay here again, should I return to Barcelona.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank J.P.Ventura
Reviewed December 25, 2006

I just returned from a week at the Hotel Colon in Barcelona and found it to be a wonderful base for someone who wants to be in the center of everything that's happening in the city. Everyone at the hotel was lovely to me and all spoke English fluently. Indeed, I arrived at the hotel very early and expected to have to stash my luggage for a few hours until a room was ready but the clerk at the front desk greeted me with a big smile and told me he had a wonderful room all ready for me. The bellman took me upstairs and showed me into a much larger than average European room which was not modern, but nonetheless excellently appointed with tradtional furnishings. However, the bathroom was totally modern with a good, powerful hair dryer, robe, slippers, etc., and there was a large flat screen TV on the desk which had wireless internet access and movies available in English. The biggest plus, however were the large french doors at the far end of the room that opened onto a tiny terrace directly overlooking the Gothic Cathedral and the Christmas market. Just gorgeous!! I was a bit concerned that the noise level from the market would keep me up at night, but with the door closed, the sound was pretty much blocked out. While I did not have dinner at the hotel, I did have coffee sent up every morning and it always came right on time and was delicious. I also made good use of the bar for coffee in the afternoon or in the evening for a nightcap and found the room itself, as well as the staff, to be lovely. Look, there are newer, hotter, trendier hotels all over Barcelona, but for the location, the price and the ambience, I think the Colon is hard to beat. I loved it and I will definitely stay there again when I return. And, I will recommend it to anyone who asks me about Barcelona.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
7  Thank rrr108
Reviewed December 12, 2006

I stayed before and after my cruise at this hotel. It was a better choice and half the price that the cruise line was asking for pre and post stays. The hotel is across from the cathedral and in the center of all the attractions. The a/c didnt work one night and they give me another room immeaditly after calling the front desk. The hotel was very clean and the lobby had many comfortable sitting areas The rooms were fairly large by european standards. Its not worth it to pay 90 dollars more for a cathdral view and balcony when the cathdral is covered with scalfold. I would stay again the next time i am in barcelona.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank DOCTORTEE
Reviewed November 20, 2006

This hotel is terrible. You are better off in a hostel. It has no right to advertise as 4 or 5 star hotel. We booked almost seven months in advance and they were offering a long-stay discount at that time that gave you a 15% discount, which we secured. We just got a standard type room and our rate was about $150USD with the discount. When we checked in we were given an absolutely terrible tiny room with two twin beds, even though I requested a king. We called and asked to be moved to a room with one bed and were told we would have to wait until the next day to move. The hotel advertises that it has air conditioning in all rooms. It has a knob on the wall that looks like a thermostat control, but believe me, it doesn't work. The only way to get any air in is to open the windows or balcony. The hotel is in a very busy area and there is non-stop noise. We were literally directly above a cafe and it was ridiculously noisy. The first night we pulled the beds together away from the one wall and the paint was completely peeling off the walls and all over the floor. The bathroom was dirty looking and the room smelled bad. It was awful, but we hoped for a better new room the next day. When we went down the next day to get a new room we asked if they had anything nicer and quieter. The front desk was very helpful in showing us several different rooms. We were offered a cathedral view room for 290Euros! We looked at it and it smelled bad and was absolutely not worth it. There are much nicer hotels to be had in Barcelona for this amount. So they showed us another room that was also smallish and dirty but at least had one bed. The gentleman that showed it to us assured us it was on a quiet street that was actually closed to traffic and could only be used by the hotel behind us, which was a lie. We were told we could have the room if we hurried and moved. So we took the new room which was a slight improvement. This room also had NO air conditioing or fan to speak of. We had to keep all the winodws and the "balcony" door open all the time to even be able to breathe- I am not talking about keeping the room cool, I am just talking about getting enough air in that you don't roast, and this was in November! It is so loud outside 24 hours a day there is no way you can sleep. Non-stop motorcycles, scooters, shouting, banging, breaking bottles, construction, emptying of trash cans, screaming people. Even if it was quieter, there is no way you can sleep on the miserable uncomfortable beds. The bed clothes are awful and uncomfortable and it is impossible to get additional pillows. Housekeeping is almost nonexistent. They remake your bed, and that's about it. They do not replace tolietries or do much else. I understand that this is European hotel, but it is certainly not a 4-star hotel as they claim. For the price you can find a much better place in Barcelona with much better service. Most of the time if you had a request or a question you were treated with restrained disdain. When we checked out and asked for the doorman to get us a taxi he said he would call one. It was obvious he knew the driver and they were talking and lauging as they helped us get our stuff in the car. They were obviously saying things about us, but our Spanish is not great. The taxi driver then made about 3 different turn arounds on the highway, each time purposely missing the airport exits. Our cab ride ended up being more than twice as expensive as the ride from the airport to the hotel 6 days earlier! This is just one example of several of the "seedy" type incidents we experienced at the hotel. The location is great and Barcelona is an amazing city, so you don't want to spend much time in your room anyway, but it would have been nice to at least have a comfortable place to go back to sleep in at night. Part of our problem came from getting a cheaper rate I am sure, so they wanted to stick us with a subpar room- but they also showed us the 290 Euro room, and that was definitely not worth it at all either. I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple