“Great value, friendly staff”
Review of Colon Hotel

Colon Hotel
Ranked #76 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
“Great value, friendly staff”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was close to where friends were staying. It wasn't the cheapest option, but I thought it was great value for location. My room was generously sized and the bed was comfortable. The room was dark and had no view to speak of, which was fine for me because it allowed me to get my beauty rest and it was very quiet. As others have noticed, the decor is a little dated but for me this added to the charm as it didn't have the "cookie cutter" blandness of many chain hotels. I didn't take advantage of the breakfast (it seemed a little expensive given that there are so many options available elsewhere) but the lounge area was quite lovely.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
ColonBCN, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Colon Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your stay at the Hotel Colon and for sharing your impressions and insider tips with fellow travelers on TripAdvisor. There is always room for improvement and your suggestions helps us identify the aspects we should prioritize, and for that thank you.
Before your next visit to Barcelona, we invite you to make your reservation through our website. Our team will be more than happy to welcome you back to the Hotel Colon.
We look forward to accommodating you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Turkish first
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Very close to the the end of La Ramla and right opposite the gothic cathedral so a great location. Check in desk was very busy and only one guy on duty but he was quite helpful. Told us we had the best room in the house, a suite to accommodate our 2 kids. They were on 2 rollaway beds which fitted in the lounge area just fine. View from our room was quite impressive with the small balconies on the 5th floor overlooking the cathedral. The decor though, throughout the hotel is very dated. We even had printed peach and red flower fabric covering the wall in the bedroom and stencilling and rag rolling on the other walls and ceiling. Pleasant enough if it were still the 80's! Main thing was that it was clean so with exception on dated decor a perfectly placed and expectable hotel for our 1 night before we board our cruise ship. One other thing wanted to order coffee in room but they couldn't do this luckily we has 10 mins to run down to the restaurant before it shut and took 2 coffee back to room with us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ColonBCN, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Colon Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear guest,
We are extremely happy to learn you enjoyed your time in Barcelona, and that we were able to add on to your experience and help it become wonderful.
Barcelona is indeed a magnificent city ready to be discovered and re-discovered, since no two visits are the same. We are lucky to be situated in the heart of the Barrio Gótico, right across the Old Cathedral and surrounded by a great number of restaurants, shops, museums, bars.. One can truly feel the art and beauty in the air just wandering down the streets.
Hope to see you soon,
Lake District, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My second stay at The Colon, perfectly situated near the centre of Barcelona overlooking The Square & Cathedral, but with the Square outside, no feeling of being enclosed in a City Centre. Large very clean well equipped room, good air conditioning and excellent double glazing. Staff are helpful with good housekeeping service. Cannot comment on meals, other than lunch outside the Hotel, which was high quality & reasonably priced, helping to make the people watching very enjoyable. Worth the extra cost to enjoy the location & quality, and add to the Barcelona ambience experience.

Room Tip: A Cathedral View Room with a very small Balcony ( Floor 5 or above) above the Treeline immediately o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Will W
Dear guest,
We´ll like to thank you for having chosen the Hotel Colón for your recent stay in Barcelona. We are truly happy to learn you have enjoyed your time with us!
As you mention in your review, we are very near the Ramblas, just minutes away from exciting spots like La Boquería Market, the Waterfront, Plaza Cataluña, Plaza Real, the Wax Museum, The Barrio Gótico, the Old Cathedral, etc. Our location makes us a perfect starting point to discover some of the most exciting areas of the city on foot.
Please let us know next time you plan to be in town, since we´d love to have you back as our guest!
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Location wise this hotel suited my needs perfectly. It's right where the action is, but so as many other hotels in Barcelona. Can't say anything about the breakfast...I wasn't up for it after a fun time , but I did have lunch there at the restaurant a couple of times and it was good. The reception people were very efficient, nice and welcoming. Always helped me with taxi, luggage,site-seeing...etc. I do have a complaint about the housekeeping and not on cleanness of my room about the noise. They were very loud and noisy, which didn't help my beauty sleep. The room size was ok for Europe I mean. My room was clean had tv had minibar and safe and everything worked fine. The bathroom had all the little things you'd need when traveling and was also spotless. The down part of my stay was the smell. It smelled everywhere in the hotel. Smelled of smokes and an old hotel. I got a deal on my stay otherwise I wouldn't chosen this Hotel for my Barcelona stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
ColonBCN, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Colon Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for having chosen the Hotel Colón for your recent stay in Barcelona.

We are sorry to learn that your stay with us did not satisfy all of your expectations. From your comments we understand that the cleanliness did not match our usual standards. We will investigate the reason for these shortcomings to avoid similar complaints in the future.

Again, we deeply regret not having met all your expectations this time but hope you will afford us a second chance to make amends.

Long Beach, California
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We planned to stay at a 5 star pricey place for our last night in Barcelona when I found I couldn't stomach the price. We switched to the colon hotel and were so pleasantly surprised. The room was huge with a lovely view. We had a family room with a door in between that separated us from the kids. The cathedral is beautiful and the windows have shuttered doors that open on to a very small balcony. Lovely! Wish we had booked more nights!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear guest,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Barcelona and especially your stay with us at Hotel Colón. We´d like to thank you for choosing us. It will be great to have you again next time you visit this part of the Mediterranean, so please don´t hesitate in contacting us as soon as you find yourself planning your next European escapade!

British Columbia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

A few people highly recommended this hotel and I have honestly never paid as much for a hotel stay so my expectations may have been too high.

First off, the location, ambience and genuine Barcelona feeling gets top marks at this hotel. For those reasons alone, I would definitely book it again.

Now my experience. We got there too early at 8 am so I knew our room would not be ready. They took our luggage and stored it and I asked to use the hotel safe for our passports. I can not say that we got a happy to see you or help you feeling at all. She said to try back at noon as check in is not till 2. We got back at noon and our room was not ready but were told they were working on it as the people had checked out. So I said we would wait in the lobby. Went back up to reception at 1 and she said our room was not ready yet as staff went to lunch?? REALLY.. So I said could you not of told me that as I would of went out exploring Barcelona. I was kind of frustrated. I sat back down and within five minutes, we had a room. Weird?? Got to my room in which I paid for cathedral view and requested high floor as I heard lower floors were noisy. Well, they gave me second floor so I was worried about noise. I called down to reception and she said no other rooms were available but she promised it would not be noisy. Well. Worst two nights sleep ever and I had ear plugs. Also, there are trees blocking part or all of the view so that was disappointing as well. I thought it was not what I paid for. Room was nice, kind of musty smelling though. There are water stains on the wall paper but that did not bother me. Water pressure in the shower was incredible. No conditioner offered. Air conditioner worked good. Wifi worked good. Did not eat at hotel as it is one of the most expensive on the square but I bet it would be really good.

Basically you are paying for the location here but the hotel definitely has that Barcelona feeling which would actually bring me back. I would make sure my room was differently located though and my view was unobstructed as the cathedral is amazing!!

Few tips

Taxi to airport 44 euro. Hotel staff thought 35.

Star bucks right across street/ square

Hop on right across street/ square ( get tickets at hotel $5 discount)

Walking easy enough to las Ramblas

Tourist office to right and money exchange there as well, but 100 American exchanged for 59 euro.

Take sunscreen

Go up behind the cathedral and explore through the alleys, incredible!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BCresident
ColonBCN, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Colon Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear guest,

We are happy to learn you have enjoyed your time with us! An especial thanks to you for sharing your experience with fellow travelers here on TripAdvisor.
We work hard to deliver the best possible service to each one of guests and we are always appreciative of their suggestions, since we strongly believe in continuous self-improvement.
It would be wonderful to welcome you back next time you are visiting our city, so please let us know in advance so we can arrange any especial request.

Kind regards,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hotel in a great location opposite the cathedral and not far from the gothic area. Beautiful surroundings which were quiet in the evenings. Room very comfortable and room service was great, fast and reliable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

After reading such a wonderful and detailed description of you stay at the Hotel Colón all we have to say is: Thank you. For choosing our hotel and for taking the time to write such kind comment, please receive our heartfelt gratitude. We are sure many of your fellow travelers are going to find it extremely useful.
It will be a real pleasure to welcome you back next time you are in Barcelona, so please don't hesitate in contacting us; we'll be more than happy to assist you un anyway.

Kind regards,