“Great hotel with superior staff”

Hotel Arts Barcelona
Ranked #57 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Great hotel with superior staff”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We spent 9 nights at this hotel. In our opinion, the staff and service at the hotel were tops in the world. I can not say enough good things about the quality of the staff. They went out of their way in every respect to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Excellent restaurant recommendations, tickets to events, and superior concierge services. For a beach vacation, the location is outstanding. One of the few luxury hotels in Barcelona on the beach. For dinner in the Old City, you are a short cab ride away. The rooms are beautifully appointed, good sized, and grand bathrooms. I do have a few constructive criticisms. The reception and concierge area of the hotel is very small. The area becomes very loud as guests are checking in. Also, there is free internet in the lobby. So, many people congregate in the area to use the free internet. Otherwise, internet is 25 Euros per day. The swimming pool is small for such a large hotel and very crowded. There are not enough chairs for the guests so many guests are directed to the garden area. The pool staff are exceptional and dealt very well with guests who were upset that they could not obtain a chair by the pool. The food and beverage at the hotel is very expensive (22 Euros for a mohito) but probably on par with other luxury hotels. And, valet parking is 45 Euros a day. Be prepared for a lot of Americans at the hotel as it seems to be a very popular hotel with travelling Americans.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is unquestionably a beautiful hotel, with incredible views and attentive staff. It is a little ways out to attractions, and despite how it may appear when you are looking out your window Sagrada Familia is not walking distance. My main beef with this hotel is all the little extra charges. Wifi at 25 Euros a day, 3 Euros to make a coffee in your room and a pricey bar menu mean little extras add up fast. We were there with a conference group and I don't think there was a guest among us who wasn't really enjoying the hotel, but several were caught out by little things like the in room coffee charge. There was a Nespresso machine in our room and I think if the hotel had at least 2 pods a day available without charge that would be a nice gesture. It's not the end of the world, but the feeling of being nickel and dimed was a bit of a chink in their armour if you ask me. Other than that, I have nothing bad to say. Our room was spectacular and the common areas are really lovely. If you have the money, I would heartily recommend it. Just know that they little extras are NOT included.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I've stayed here on three separate occasions during two summer period and I have to say this is in incredible resort.

It is a true 5 Start hotel from the quality of the service in the reception, restaurants and pool area, the knowledgeable concierges, the impeccable bedrooms and amenities to the lovely breakfast buffet (one of my favourites).

This will always be my choice of hotel in Barcelona. I have stayed at the W and would choose this one instead. Even though the hotel is extremely large and always fully booked during the summer period, you never feel like you have been unattended to. The staff at the pool are sensetational, so so helpful! The rooms are exceptionally large and have incredible views, comfortable large beds; I have stayed in both a regular room and the suites.

Another plus, it is directly located in front of the beach and by a strand of paella restaurants and the nightlife scene.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the suites they are incredible with lovely views!
new york
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I just returned from a three day stay at the Hotel Arts in Barcelona as part of a 9 day stay in Spain that started in San Sebastain (Hotel Lordes) and ended in Mallorca (La Residencia).

The Hotel Arts was recommended to me universally by anyone I discussed the topic of Barcelona with and in the end I was pleased with my experience overall, however it's only fair to temper my comments with some of the flaws I experienced during my trip:

1. The hotel was willing to offer me an early check in given my early arrival into Barcelona. I'm not sure if that was of their own volition or as a result of a favor I asked of someone in the travel industry, either way I was thankful for their consideration.

2. The hotel has one of the best breakfasts I have ever had at a hotel anywhere in my travels. It's expensive, but of all the meals at the hotel I found this to be a nice indulgence.

3. I was surprised that the hotel charged 25 euros per day for use of the Wifi!! Over a 3 day stay it cost me in excess of $100 to enjoy what has really become a basic service at a hotel of this class and caliber.

4. I found that the concierges were extremely knowledgable and helpful, but on 3 occasions when I called down to speak with a concierge, they were unavailable and my request for a call back was never fulfilled. Even when paying a visit to the concierge at their desks, I did find that they seemed to be overwhelmed by the guests staying on property.

5. Very disappointed on Saturday to discover that the hotel had an event taking place on property that restricted use of the pool and common areas of the hotel after 6pm. In most cities this would be less of an issue, but it stays sunny in Barcelona past 9pm and we couldn't find a corner of the hotel to enjoy the remainder of the day.

7. The hotel location is directly on the beach (plus), close to nightlife (plus), but far from any of the attractions you're in Barcelona to see (negative).

Hope this helps in your travels!

Room Tip: Request a high floor for a view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our family of five spent the night here after returning to Barcelona from a cruise. We wanted a nice location on the beach and this property certainly fit the bill. It is an elegant property with the level of service to match. Everything you need is done to perfection - and with style! Although somewhat expensive, it was the perfect end to our summer Mediterranean adventure.

The only reason I didn't give it an "Excellent", was that the rooms we were in were visually stunning but, on closer inspection, appeared somewhat "tired" with peeling wallpaper, marked paint, loose shower doors, etc. But these are really trifles and I'm sure will be corrected. The Hotel Arts really is, and is likely to remain, a gem on the sea!

St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2013

THis hotel was the highlight of our European vacation. The staff were so friendly and helpful, they bent over backwards to serve you! From the check in with the complimentary cava to the amazing concierge help we were spooled! THey opened the taxi door, hold the elevator, check your bags, walk you to the correct elevator upon check-in, and give you free snacks in the lounge...for Marriott Rewards members.....The pool was great, they give you a plush towel, find you a chair, bring you ice water with lime.....and we lucked out and got all of this just over $200 euros on expedia. But you can pay much much more........THe room was large enough, the bathroom was lovely and clean. Great location close to amazing seafood restaurants and the beach.

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed here after our Disney cruise for a few days and absolutely loved it! Before we embarked on the cruise, we stayed in a small hotel in Las Ramblas for a more traditional experience which was just fine. But ending our vacation at this hotel was the "perfect ending" to our adventure. The breakfast buffet was one of the nicest I've had with a nice variety of foods (and well prepared). Our family loved spending time poolside since the beach isn't the most beautiful we've seen on the Med. Service all around was excellent. Rooms were large and perfect for our family of 4. We were able to get one room versus a suite since this is one of the few hotels that offer two double beds. There were pool side movies at night for kids/family which was a nice touch. Our children are small but I felt we were welcomed and met other families with young children as well. Very convenient location to public transportation or just to walk to your destination. Definitely the place to stay in Barcelona!

1 Thank Vanessagron