“Best. Pool. Ever.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Best. Pool. Ever.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I love this hotel. It's become my favorite weekend excursion. I was there twice in 2 months and their staff remembered me. That made me feel pretty special.

Great location, right in the middle of Barceloneta beach. It's stone throw away from the beach, the food, the clubs, the parties. If you like to run you can do your 5-6k run along the beach in the morning (or bike, or segway, whichever you prefer. It's a really good run!)

Amazing pool staff! The pool is my favorite spot. You can just fall asleep there all day to recuperate from the previous night. The staff there is always cheerful and helpful. They are just a delightful bunch and they always make sure that you're hydrated by constantly handing you little bottles of water. There's also a garden next to the pool area if you fancy lying on grass instead of pool side.

The only thing I had to complain about is the size of their water... it's a hot city so it might be more environmentally friendly if they pass out slightly bigger bottle of water to guest. Oh and also the B&O sound system in the room doesn't work with my iPhone or macair... and the remote control weighs a ton. It could've been a weapon if it had to....... oh and the gym is slightly on the small side. But why run on a treadmill if you can run outdoor?

Room Tip: ask for higher floor facing mount montjuic when you book.The view is amazing!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (953)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for five nights to celebrate 25th anniversary, travelling w two adult children. Our check in was fantastic, and we felt like royalties upon arrival. Regretfully, things went downhill from then. Key problems (a) non-smoking room contained clear signs of smoke when we arrived, (b) the hotel made us sign off a paper, showing exact cost per night when we arrived - but raised the price by €50/night for the final two nights - announced on departure, blamed on expedia!, (c) pool area was simply too small, not built for hotel of this size. In conclusion, many things were great, but for a luxury hotel, charging luxury prices, it was not good enough.

• Stayed June 2013
HotelArts, Gerente at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Hawkeyex,

Thank you for taking your time to send us your opinion, it really helps us to evaluate the experience of our guests and to constantly improve ourselves.

I am concerned about the issues you have reported and I can understand your disappointment about these shortcomings. Please accept my apologies. I would appreciate to discuss your visit in more detail in order to review and improve our offer. If you would be so kind to leave your contact details at hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000 it will be my pleasure to return your call or message personally.

I look forward to your call or e-mail and hope to have the chance to welcome you back one day in order to give you the excellent experience you expected.

New York City
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Wonderful views, especially facing the port - provides views of both the sea and the city. Club lounge offers very personalized service with something to eat from breakfast in the morning through dessert at night. Despite the mess often left behind in the aftermath of the children, all were always very happy to see them and welcomed them by name at all times, often asking them for hugs and about their day. By the pool, one of their floaties ripped, the staff was happy to run down the street and buy a replacement. Very friendly personnel both to adults and especially to children.

Room Tip: Port View is best
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Wonderful hotel, delightful staff. A must visit. Enjoy a drink at the pool and lounge in a hammock that comfortably fits two while overlooking the Med. Ask any of the staff in the lobby for a restaurant recommendation. They'll direct you away from expensive tourist traps nearby and into local districts in Barcelona. Highly recommend brunch - go hungry.

Vancouver,WA
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights in July 2013. First the good: Outstanding (multilingual) service from all hotel staff. Gorgeous room (especially the large, walk-in shower). Fantastic blackout curtains. Quiet location on the beach, but easy access to other parts of Barcelona via the nearby Metro station. Excellent bed (with nearby lighting controls). Nice map of nearby recommended restaurants.

Now the disappointing: Otherwise great view was marred by latticework beams on the external part of the hotel. Despite being on the 28th floor, I could still hear sirens and honking horns from street-level (although internally, the hotel is very quiet). Charging 4 euros for in-house coffee pods. Noisy air conditioning, which was not fixed even after 2 requests; I resorted to turning it off at night, so I could sleep. Several times during my stay, especially 10-12AM, there were long lines at checkout. Reading lights by the bedside were too dim. The bed had a very heavy duvet, more suitable for Alaska than the Mediterranean in summer (housekeeping did switch me to a much more comfortable and lighter-weight blanket, on request). Hotel is not clear which items stocked in the room are free (basically, only water) and which would be charged at checkout. No "Thank You for your Business" upon checkout, despite a bill for two rooms of more than $4,900. Finally, the in-house restaurants are outrageously overpriced.

Bottom line: Despite the terrific room, at these prices, there should be no errors, and there were plenty of little things that disappointed me. I would have to think twice about staying here again. I cannot give this hotel an "excellent" rating. For far less money, I felt my stays in Valencia and Madrid at Westin hotels provided at least as comfortable a room, with no problems or issues whatsoever. So I must admit to being disappointed at the level of quality at Hotel Arts that one usually associates with Ritz-Carlton.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are preferred; ask if your room has its view blocked by one of the external latticework...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank gswVancouver_WA
Dear gswVancouver_WA,

Thank you for taking your time to send us your opinion.

I am sorry that your overall experience did not match your expectations and I ask you to accept my apologies. You are right in saying there should be no errors in your stay, and this is why I would appreciate to have the chance to talk about your visit in more detail in order to review and improve our offer. If you would be so kind to leave your contact details at hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000 it will be my pleasure to return your call or message personally.

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Four night trip booked with BA emailed ahead asking for a high room, ended up on the 5th floor so no view of sea or city, just the roof of the building next door. Seemed that if you paid the extra £800 for a club room you would get a high floor otherwise seemed to depend on how much you had paid to get a view.
Arrived about 12, checked in but did not expect room to be available until 3 as advised, so went to lunch. Came back at 4, room not ready, waited an hour, room finally ready some time after 5pm. 2 bags arrived later, 1 missing, several phones calls and trips to reception asking for the missing bag, which eventually turned up after 6pm! So 3 hours after check-in time finally had room and bags and could get changed. Staff very pleasant but no urgency in looking for bags or getting rooms ready. it's not our fault if you have lots of checkouts we want a room at the time you say we should have it
Room is stylish but more style than practical, B&O TV and sound system but TV is very small and picture quality poor. Nespresso machine at 4 euro a pop. No kettle or tea and bottled water charged. As advised not to drink tap water, suggest you buy some bottled unless you want to pay high prices for Hotel. Water arrived in evening with turn down service on evenings we weren't in the room when housekeeping came. Mini bar prices what you expect in a hotel. No iron in room so not sure how to press clothes. No information about the hotel (i.e. restaurants, spa, gym, opening times), or local info about Barcelona in the room. Safe too small for laptop or an iPad. Bed very comfortable, great shower, towels good and plentiful, nice decor. Bath robes on the small size. No loo brush. Never worked out how the shower attachment on the bath worked. Basins look good but not particularly functional due to way tap hangs over and can't be moved! WiFi in room at 25 euro accounts for why small reception area is always busy with people attached to phones using free WiFi.
Breakfast best part of the hotel, extensive choice and very good quality, attentive friendly service, even champagne offered, lovely terrace area.
Two days returned at 4-5pm and room not made up, there seems to be a real housekeeping problem, not good enough.The staff are all friendly but there are too many of them performing non useful tasks, 2 to 4 saying hello at breakfast and always a couple in reception saying hello too, they need more on housekeeping.
One evening inside door handle fell off, housekeeping took it and said they would get it fixed while we were at the pool. One hour later came back to room, no door handle replaced and we realised (too late) that we could not open the door from inside, so trapped inside the room, another phone call, 45 mins later not fixed, another call: sorry the "do not disturb"sign was on the outside handle so the repair man did not knock, the sign was put there by housekeeping! Finally fixed, Manager came to apologise and was very pleasant. Offered complimentary dinner - tho we'd booked restaurant already, so settled for late checkout. A bottle of Cava was in our room upon our return. Just so much unnecessary aggravation.
We found the hotel location convenient for the Ramblas, Gothic, Born, the beach etc but a little far if you want the other parts of the city.
Swimming pool is small and the sun beds were always full, but you are close to the beach.
We loved Barcelona but overall the hotel had too many irritations and drawbacks for us, very disappointing especially as it is supposed to be 5 star.

2 Thank Bancroftus
Dear Bancroftus,

Thank you for taking your time to send us your opinion.

I am very concerned about the issues you have reported and I can absolutely understand your disappointment about these shortcomings. I ask you to accept my sincerest apologies and I will follow up on your comments with my team.

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on the first leg of our honeymoon. In fact, we arrived here around 1pm the day after our wedding...tired to say the least. Well, our room was not ready but the hotel's treatment of us as honeymooners began right away, here's our takeaway of this hotel:

Pluses:
- Great location if you're not keen to stay right in the heart of downtown. Otherwise, the hotel is on the beach (not bad), a 5 minute walk away from the metro (in the heart of downtown within 5 minutes), and near some great little neighborhoods like Barceloneta.
- The hotel is gorgeous and very well kept. Flowers everywhere and fountains.
- Very friendly and helpful staff with a fantastic concierge.
- Room was huge and fantastic. We were on the 29th floor with a great view of the beach. Bed was amazing, bathroom was huge (think Shanghai luxury-style huge) with great amenities.
- Treatment of us as honeymooners: while the room was not ready, we were treated to a drink at the bar and then a fantastic bottle of cava showed up with chocolate covered strawberries. The next night, we hit the beautiful spa for a massage and returned to a room covered in rose petals, candles, bubble bath, strawberries and more cava. Simply amazing...
- Spa was beautiful and very clean...expensive but amazing. Great massages as well.
- Wonderful pool with great towel service and bottled water. The lounge chairs are bed-like comfortable. Nice getaway from the very crowded beach.

Minuses (not much):
- The hotel does a lot of business with cruise lines so it is crowded...especially in the lobby.
- The lobby offers free internet so it is always crowded...internet in the room is pricey. Seems silly.
- Drinks/food are very expensive...think 12-14 Euros for a beer next to the pool.

This is a great hotel. Expensive, yes, but worth it. Some hotels I have found expensive and not worth the experience...this one was. Recommended for sure!

Room Tip: Rooms can face the ocean or the city. One area allows a view of the Sagrada Familia...
2 Thank mks4