“Five Star”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kent, UK
“Five Star”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Excellent stay from check in to check out. we were celebrating a special Birthady and the hotel staff helped this run perfectly. Staff from reception to pool to club lounge and restaurants were helpful,courteous and friendly. Arola restaurant serves one of the best tapas dishes I have ever eaten in the pork and ox tail ravioli!
In the words of Arnie "we will be back".

Room Tip: The higher the better and go for a city view its a fabulous way to plan your days adventures.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (931)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights as we had a big conference. Ok. The good.

Good location by the beach. Great views. Very nice room, super bathroom, fantastic rainfall shower. Nespresso machine in the bedroom. Lots of smiling staff. Ok gym. Food during our meeting was nice. Comfy beds.

The bad. Totally disorganised staff. All the time. Or maybe this was my experience with every interaction.

On arrival, check in was efficient. I was handed my key. Great. When I got to my room, the key wouldn't work. After a few other attempts with other keys and the security chap bringing His master key, it was determined the door was faulty.

Somehow we finally managed to get the door open and I was asked to call reception first thing in the morning for an engineer to fix the lock. My key was taken away too. Which was fine.

Next morning, I popped to reception, asked them to send the engineer whilst I went to the gym for an hour. All courteously agreed by the receptionist.

An hour later I arrive back and queue for over 20 minutes!!!! Just to speak to a receptionist. The irony being, there was no queue or mad rush or anything! All reception desks were busy with other guests whilst I was next in line.

Here is the inefficient part. 4 reception desks. Between 6 and 7 staff just milling around behind the desk.

They could see a queue was forming( of which I was front in line for 20 mins). But it took them an age to deal with each of the guests. I don't understand why! Staff just kept going into the back room and out again. Over and over again.

Eventually I got to the front and enquired as to whether the engineer had fixed the door and could I have my key. Receptionist checked the computer and had no idea.

No great surprise. Went back up and it hadn't been fixed. Key wouldn't work. Oh, forgot to mention, we had to wait 10 minutes for the lift. And the reason why....staff had prioritised a room service cart over the 15 people waiting at the lift.

Anyway, after going down again to complain, eventually, asked to speak to a manager. Lady was very apologetic and came up with her master key. Which wouldn't work. Clearly engineer hadn't fixed anything.

After 10 minutes of trying I managed to get back into the room. Already late for my conference by this stage. Engineer arrived whilst I was In the shower and I had no other option but to let them work while I was getting ready.

I missed the start of my conference. In all, it took 1 hour exactly from finishing the gym to get I to my room.

Even at checking out the next day, it took 20 minutes. No idea why. There was a charge I didn't recognise on my bill. I just enquired what it was. That was enough to trigger several trips to the mysterious back room. Result of which I missed breakfast as I had to rush for day 2 of the conference.

The issue is not the faulty door, these things happen, it's the inefficiency in dealing with guests and lots of people looking busy but really slowing things down.

Overall, a highly disappointing experience for such a luxury hotel. For that amount of money, it should be perfect.

• Stayed June 2013
HotelArts, Gerente at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear AymanN,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us your comments, following you stay in June.

I am very concerned about these issues with our service staff and I ask you to accept my sincerest apologies. I can totally understand your displeasure about the inconveniences you had with your room and I regret that we were not able to solve this problem adequately and immediately. I assure you to follow up on this incidence with my team and for your next visit I’d like to invite you to contact me personally, I will ensure of your comfort. You can reach me calling +34 93 221 1000 or writing to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com.

I hope to welcome you back one day in order to give you the impeccable experience you expected.

terre haute, IN
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed at the hotel arts for two nights and were not disappointed.It is a beautiful Hotel, the staff is courteous and helpful, although not exceptionally friendly. However, after we checked out, we realized that our phone charger was left in the room. We returned the next day to retrieve it and were not exactly welcomed back. The staff was rude, and the charger had disappeared. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear susiespy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us your opinion.

I am glad that you overall had an enjoyable stay at our hotel but I apologize for the incidence you’ve reported. If you would be so kind to provide the details of your reservation to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000, my team and I will be pleased to look after your charger and send it to you immediately.

Should you have further comments on your stay, I will also be pleased to receive and answer your message personally.

Llucmajor, Spain
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is not only the best in Barcelona, but one the best in Europe!
Spotless rooms, all electronics and electrics working, B&O Hifi and Tv, Nespreso machine.
Wonderfully comfortable beds! Great bathroom.

Try the exec suites on the high floors - impressive views!
We will come again!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

There's no question that this hotel has some attractions: charming staff, nice decor (if a little tired in places, especially the carpets in the rooms), great breakfast, and, for my partner, a glass of champagne on arrival. However, for a list price of around EUR600, you expect the best and are often disappointed. First, there is the money grabbing mentality: instead of complimentary water on arrival in your room, as is normal in every other hotel we've stayed in, luxury or otherwise, you're expected to pay 8EUR for a 200ml bottle. That works out at EUR40/litre, or EUR200 for the 5 litres we picked up around the corner for a hundredth of the cost. Also unlike most hotels, you have to pay for in-room Internet access, at the outrageous price of EUR25 per day. (If you're not a guest, don't worry - you can walk in off the street and use the wi-fi in public areas for free.) Next is the incompetence: on arrival, I was told my bag would be brought up to our room, but it didn't arrive until 12 hours and three increasingly irate requests later; then, we had to ask three times for our minibar fridge to be repaired; only one glass was provided, so we had to share it for our shop-bought water; a dirty empty glass was left in our room, along with a layer of dust over much of the room's contents; on the day after our arrival, we returned to our room at 4pm to find it hadn't been cleaned (when we asked why, they said "We don't guarantee they'll be done before 5 pm on a Sunday”); on neither of our first two nights have we had a turn-down service (at first, they said they didn’t always offer that service, without explaining what swung the matter, but the manager later said this was not correct); and my partner was served raw chicken at her conference. On the plus side, apart from the things I mentioned at the start, there's a stunning view of the city from our room. Sadly, we couldn't take a photo of it because the windows were too dirty; the manager said this was because it had been unusually bad. It's been a decade since I last stayed here, and standards have crashed almost as fast as the Spanish economy. Perhaps the two are related. We complained to the manager, who apologised and offered us a free transport to the airport, which we gladly accepted. It was pretty special, in a shiny big BMW with water, apples and a newspaper. She also offered to upgrade us on our next visit, but I’m not sure that we’ll be back. Barcelona seems to offer a lot of alternatives.

Room Tip: Get one facing the sea. If on the side facing the road, make sure you're above the 20th floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Akleanthous,

Thank you very much for letting us know about your experience, also here on Tripadvisor.

I am very concerned about the issues you have commented directly with me during your stay, and here on Tripadvisor. Once again, I would like you to accept my most sincere apologies. I agree that the shortcomings you have experienced are unacceptable and I will check up on each point you mention with my team.

Should you have any further comment on your visit, please do not hesitate to contact me personally calling +34 93 221 1000 or via e-mail at hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com. As discussed, I also invite you to contact me personally should you decide to visit again in the future. My team and myself will provide you with the excellent experience you deserve.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back to Hotel Arts Barcelona one day in order to prove ourselves better hosts.

Sandnes, Norway
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Great location, great conferance facility, great food and fantastic service. Arrived late at night and were upgraded for both nights. One Michelin star restaurant gave us a pleasant morning. Will be back

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Our family had such a wonderful time at this hotel. Fantastic rooms with great views, outstanding food and service second to none. Everyone on staff goes out of their way to make your stay wonderful. When one of the staff (Camille Georgiama) found out our family was there to celebrate my 50th birthday- she had a little champaign and cake delivered to our awesome room. With a hand written note to congratulate me and welcome us to the hotel. That sure doesn't happen at many properties. So hats off to the team at the Art's- we will be back and recommend the property to anyone going to Barcelona!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family