“Disappointing for such a brand. Why do you spoil it?”

Ranked #53 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Disappointing for such a brand. Why do you spoil it?”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

A ritz Carlton hotel on the beach in Barcelona for a business conference. ...But... Room overlooking huge extractor fans and a highway, tv didn't work for the full 3 days of my stay in spite of three requests for intervention. Telephone in room had to be repaired once.

Coffee dosettes @ 4 euros a pop made in a nespresso machine that continued spurting water into the full cup and had to be unplugged to stop it doing so. And to top it all ... 25 euros per day wifi access! Such a rip off - a real pity since the young staff really tried to give the service expected of this brand. Guys you got this so wrong!

• Stayed April 2013
HotelArts, Gerente at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear DianeBo,

Thank you for having taken your time to send us your opinion.

I am very concerned that your stay at Hotel Arts was not up to your expectations and I ask you to accept my most sincere apologies. I can understand your displeasure about the issues you had with your room and I would appreciate if you would allow me to remedy them as soon as possible.

If you would be so kind to provide your contact details to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000 I will be pleased to return your call or message personally in order to talk about your stay in more detail.

I hope to have the chance to prove ourselves better hosts and to welcome you back again soon.

Hotel Arts Barcelona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (940)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just to give this context, I have been fortunate enough to have travelled the world over the last 20 years and stayed in some of the worlds finest hotels and resorts in most major cities. The hotel arts barcelona, first and foremost aint all that in any way shape or form....although it thinks it is with utterly ridiculous prices for absolutley everything that are just too stupid to be taken seriously. They also do not even have an iron in the room....their solution was to offer me a free laundry service to iron a couple of shirts....which they then charged me 45 euros (plus 10% tax) for.!!
I thought i would have a quick club sandwich on arrival, some water and a very small piece of cake. 66 Euros for what was mainly bread!!! Utter rubbish! I then returned to my room to find they had charged me 28 euros for opening...yes opening the mini bar!!!!! 25 euros for 24 hours wifi that does NOT work in the conference area where its another 50 euros each. Even coffee in your room in this so called 5 star property is charged for!!?? eh?? An utter and compete RIP OFF....and not very good to boot. Steer well clear. This place is a complete joke. To summarise you feel completely resentful of everything here and the whole stay is uncomfortable because of it. Perhaps they are trying to help the spanish govt with their debt....at these prices the country will be in the clear soon.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
11 Thank Matthew S
Dear Matthew S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to bring your concerns to us, following your visit in April.

I am very sorry for the bad impression you kept of our hotel, and I ask you to accept my sincerest apologies.

If you agree, I would be pleased to have the chance to talk about your stay in more detail and I invite you to send me your contact details to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000. I will be pleased to return your call or message personally in order to resolve the situation of your bad experience.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your call or e-mail.

Medford, NJ

By the Beautiful Sea!
The Hotel Art is on the Beautiful Blue Mediterranean Sea In Barcelona. The setting by the sea adds to a very special feel at the Hotel Arts. The Hotel itself is a magnifant building set beside the huge golden fish sculpture by architect Frank Gehry, a landmark from the 1992 Olympics. The boardwalk and beach are in front of the hotel for strolling and sunning. Inside the restful magic continues with a modern but serene environment. Our room of the 28th floor had lovely view of the marina and the sea. We had club privileges and the club level is wonderful. Five settings a day including, breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc. are offered. The Ritz Carlton level of service is maintained by a helpful staff. This is our third stay at the Hotel Arts and it will continue to be our Barcelona Home.

Room Tip: The rooms with the a view of the sea are beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FirstClassMedford
London
Reviewed April 29, 2013

A shameless approach to charging for ancillary services/products. You name it, they'll charge you for it. Coffee in room? charged. Water in room? charged. Connectivity to broadband in room? charged. Connectivity to broadband elsewhere in hotel? charged.

Go somewhere where they value your custom, not view you as a walking wallet to be plundered.

The hotel itself is fine, good even, but their treatment of customers leaves bad taste.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GWMorgan
HotelArts, Gerente at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear GWMorgan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us your comments. I am very concerned about the bad opinion you got of our property, and I ask you to accept my apologies.

I would be pleased to have the chance to talk about your visit to Hotel Arts personally in order to see how we can improve the experience of our guests. If you would be so kind to provide your contact details to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000, I will return your call or message immediately.

However, for your next stay I would like to make you aware of our Club level where you can enjoy many extras free of charge, such as five complementary food presentations, free champagne, cocktails and soft drinks throughout the day as well as free access to wi-fi.

I look forward to your call or e-mail. Yours sincerely,

Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Recently spend 4 days in this hotel. Great location, nice room. But service is at the level of a 2 stars hotel. Check in was quite long eventhough I was alone at the welcome desk and they took almost an hour to get my bags to my room.
Went for dinner at the bar, the food I ordered never arrived! Same story next day for breakfast at the main restaurant. It doesn´t ends here. I tried to work in my room, desk lamp wasn´t working; it took 50 minutes and two phone calls to get it fixed.
Service is really unacceptable for a hotel of this level (and this price!)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andres J
Dear Andres J,

Thank you very much for taking the time to make us aware of your concerns. Your comments are key for us to improve the experience of our guests.

I am concerned about the issues you had with our service and I ask you to accept my most sincere apologies. Please allow me to check up on these shortcomings with my team. To do so, I would appreciate to have the chance to talk personally about your experience and if you would be so kind to provide your contact details to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000, I will return your call or message personally.

Thank you in advance and I hope to welcome you back soon in order to give you the spotless experience you deserve.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

From arrival outside the hotel until you reach your room you will be blown away by the friendliness, magnificent aroma and beauty of the flower arrangements, stunning decor everywhere, quality of the coffee in your room and the Bang and Olufsen entertainment system. The breakfast buffet is amazing and covers all cultures. The atmosphere in the lounge and bar area is great!

• Stayed April 2013
London, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2013

From a james bond themed gala dinner to great views, this hotel does not disappoint. If I had to choose one thing I would say the service. We have lost one of our suitcases on our way into europe and ended up without our evening clothes. A member of personnel overheard the conversation with my wife and has told me to stay where I was for a minute. Not knowing what to expect, we waited. Sixty seconds later, the frenchman comes back with a suit, two shirts and an assortment of ties. Thanks to him I wouldn't embarrass my wife on date night.

Room Tip: Any side of the skyscraper is great as long as you are not on the 2nd floor then you might as well s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple