“Disappointing performance”

Ranked #64 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The staff were numerous ,very young and very friendly. The room although very nice is close to needing refurbishment. There was no iron in the room and when we requested one , we were told it would be 3 hours before we would get one ( it arrived in 2hours). Most hotels provide free wi-fi these days but they only provided it for one hour free in a 24 hour period and it could only be accessed while in the lobby....very irritating and very odd. The drink and food prices were beyond reason even for a 5 star hotel. They have a beautiful pool area but the pool is not heated and given the somewhat cooler than usual weather , it was unusable.
So overall, I would say that it was a disappointing performance.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
HotelArts, Gerente at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Roger S,

Thank you for having taken your time to share your opinion with us. Your comments help us to constantly improve ourselves.

I regret that your experience was not up to your expectations, please accept my apologies. I would be delighted to personally talk to you about your visit to Hotel Arts in order to improve the points you have mentioned. If you would be so kind to provide your contact details to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000 it will be my pleasure to personally return your call or e-mail.

Thank you in advance and I hope to welcome you back soon in order to give you the perfect experience you deserve.

Yours sincerely,

Brunella Zinato
Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for Hotel Arts Barcelona

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed over the Easter weekend and the hotel was very, despite this the hotel seemed to cope well, very friendly staff with great rooms, the breakfast offered had a great selection and well presented. The restaurant Bites in the lobby is as the name implies, bites is what they serves, not fine dining. Arolas retaurant seemed a little fusy for our tastes and the Enoteca was closed due a sewage disaster in the adjacent toilets.
Good value for money and would reccommend it, if you get the room we had and it's windy you may have to change rooms, serious noise from somewhere, the wind died in the evening and we didn't have to move in the end.
Had a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Normally I do not write reviews but this time I could not wait to write it.
This week I have been at the hotel for 2 days with my husband and 2 children
and I can say that my stay in the hotel was the best stay ever.
This was my 3th time in the hotel, the last 2 years we went around Easter
but because of my work that was not possible this time. Because we have had
good weather we went to the pool and the restaurant next to it. The pool looks
great, the food was fantastic and we liked that Thomas or how my kids did
call him ''Mister Jackson'' and Sonia were showing personal interest in us.

Is perfect:
The service from the very beginning to the end and the rooms was
beautiful. All the people that are working in the hotel are very kind
and always willing to help you with anything.

Can be improved:
The WiFi should be for free and the breakfast is very good but should
cost a little less. And the window was a little dirty.

The hotel told me that they would be happy to welcome me again the next time,
and I would be happy to come back next year!

- Nathalie

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Short version: lovely hotel. But rather 4 star+ to me then 5 star.

Long version:
Perfect hotel if you want to combine a citytrip with a lot of leisure moments at the pool.
Breakfast: great buffet, lots of choice and they serve it till 11.30!
Diner: had dinner in Bites restaurant, three evenings in a row ( The tapas restaurant was fully booked, and travelling alone I did not feel the need to dine in the Michelin-rated restaurant): food was super, service great!
Spa: a must! Didn't like the fact that you had to pay to acces the sauna and steambath, so I booked a massage, then the entry is free. But do visit it! On the 43rd floor, the view whilst sitting in the sauna is amazing!!
Pool: love the complimentary basket with water and apples! Extra thick and long towels. Great service, especcialy Joao and Sonia and the other cute guy. Joao just loves to pamper you, and never looses sight of you in case you need something.
Bar: love the interior! First part very cosy, trendy. Second part feels like a luxurous livingroom. But for me the service was a bit of a downer. The head bartender had the looks of a god, but couldn't smile or communicate. When I sit alone at a bar, I like a bartender that is a bit entertaining, that shows off while making a cocktail and wants me to order another one.
Room: nice, not spectacular, but the view is. Some signs of aging though. And as in almost every hotel: whyyyyyy doesn't the airco work as it should and does it make more noise then a Formula 1 car?
Bathroom: nice but I missed a bin!

Why dont I rate it as a five star but four plus:
- safe is not suitable for laptop. Businessmen need this!
- some services that one finds in most 5 star hotels are missing ( no favourite newspaper hanging at your doorknob for example)
- rooms show signs of aging: laqcuer of furniture starts to chip off in many places ( this is my main reason for not givving it 5 stars I guess. Hope they repair/replace quickly).

What did I miss? In every hotel one finds a book with all the info about the hotel itself: restaurants, drycleaning, Spa, opening hours,.... Didn't see it and is really usefull! And a good way for upselling if guests know all the facilities!

Also something went wrong with the turndown service: was not done on my first two nights.

Will I stay here again? Well, let it put me this way: when I left last monday, and the gorgeous goodlooking Egbert helped me in a taxi to the station, and he waved me goodbye with that amazing smile of his.... Well, I'd defintely stay here again! Can't wait to see that stunning smile of him again!

Which proofs: friendly staff is the best asset a hotel can have! So to all the above mentioned names: thanks for making my stay so nice!

Room Tip: I had a view on the port. Very nice, but I kind of was surprised I could hear noise from below. Pro...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great hotel and location. Comfortable and good quality rooms, a tourist bus outside the hotel, great ambience and fantastic sea views.

Coffee price (not complimentary) and internet charges were a bit disappointing.

The only let down was breakfast. Limited choice.

Would stay there again any day. A luxury hotel of great quality.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I think we went at the wrong time! Spent three nights Easter Sunday onwards and returned with mixed feelings. On our second night Bites restaurant did not want to move tables to accommodate five (my husband, myself and three young children) and sent us to the bar for supper - we waited an hour for our food which arrived cold and the childrens' meals were thrown together, the service was slow and inadequate and the food unappetising. Our third and final night in Barcelona we had hoped for a relaxed evening but the Concierge sent us (and booked cab to get us there) to a pizzeria in a ghastly part of the city and when we arrived it was closed with the chef in his vest! - we then had to find two cabs (taxis in B mostly built for 3) with three young children in toe to go elsewhere late into the evening with 3 starving children. Two unsatisfactory evenings out of three. It did not help to return to our rooms from our pizzeria escapade to find that they had not been turned down and the bathrooms totally messy - the housekeeping needs to be looked at - some nights we were not given water and we would have had a lovely view from our rooms if the windows had been clean. We spent our final lunch at the pool restaurant before leaving for the airport. The childrens' meals were wrong and when on the second attempt they finally arrived the sandwiches were not even "grilled" as described and were consequently left untouched. The parts of the Arts Hotel which are superb are the "meet and greet" personnel organising transport: spot on. The breakfast is second to none and the manager, staff and chefs worked incredibly hard. The pool staff provided a faultless service. We have stayed in many deluxe hotels in the world but this one left us feeling slightly robbed, not like any experience we have taken away from a Four Seasons for example. After an 80 minute massage in the Six Senses Spa the therapist asked me to get up straight away and move to another room - I felt totally dazed after a treatment costing c. £200. Perhaps it is our nationality but the staff on the reception level in black constantly asking us how we were doing every time we came out of or went into the elevator really began to irritate. Finally, charging children Euros 12 per icecream is eye watering ... they are not old enough to be on expense accounts. Arts Hotel great for a conference when you look at things through different eyes but we felt it was an expensive three day sojourn which was not worth the money. Barcelona is not what it used to be.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
HotelArts, Gerente at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear maybanks50,

Thank you for having taken your time to share your experience with us. Your comments are key for us in order to constantly improve ourselves.

I am very concerned about your experience and I ask you to accept my most sincere apologies. I understand your disappointment that your stay here was not up to the excellent standards you expected and I assure you to check up on the shortcomings you have mentioned with my team in order to remedy them as soon as possible.

Therefore, I would be pleased to have the chance to personally discuss your stay in more detail. If you agree, it would be my pleasure to give you a personal call or e-mail and I would appreciate if you could provide your contact details in a short message to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000.

Thank you in advance and I hope to welcome you back soon in order to give you the spotless experience you deserve.

Yours sincerely,

Brunella Zinato
Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My teenage son and I stayed at Hotel Arts for the long Easter weekend and we both found the hotel, staff and setting, perfect for the occasion! The rooms were large, clean and quiet. The view was over the marina, the breakfast offered a wonderful assortment, and the staff were as helpful as could be! We even had the chance to steal a few hours of sun by the very suiting pool...also stuffed with an ambitious crew :-) The hotel is placed on the broad walk, making it accessible to walk to the old town, restaurants, beach etc. all in all I would highly recommend the hotel. The hotels restaurants are a little over priced, but there are several alternatives nearby, so the choice is yours.

1  Thank wonderer089