“Hotel Arts, Barcelona”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Larchmont, New York
“Hotel Arts, Barcelona”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 5 day vacation at the hotel arts in Barcelona. I rarely write reviews, but our experience there was exceptional, so I felt inclined to take the time. The location is great - next to the med sea and a running path/boardwalk along the beach. It is a close taxi ride to the center of town and most of the tourist sites. The service was outstanding. We stayed on the club level - the people there provided friendly and very helpful service as well as a constant stream of great food and drinks. The room was beautiful, clean and comfortable with views of the sea and the city.

Room Tip: The corner suite was very large with great views of the city and sea.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (953)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cheshire
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Fabulous hotel with a great welcome and very comfortable rooms. The bed and bedding were lovely and we had a fabulous few nights sleep. The bathroom was also fabulous with a very big bath with lots of hot water and a fabulous walk in shower with 3 shower jets. The service and breakfast was great and there is nothing too much trouble for the staff.

My only negative was that the lock to our room didn't work and so every time we left our room we then needed to call reception to gain back access. They were very quick to respond but it was obviously irritating and they kept telling me that when we left they would fix it for the next guest which is great for the next guest but did nothing to rectify it for me. I was also disappointed that it wasn't mentioned on check out and apology made. I felt for a hotel with this level of service they should of at least gave me an apology on check out, also there is no free wifi which was inconvient as the most basic hotels have this facility.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Seriously, I could afford them if i wanted to, but €25 ($32) per day for WiFi and €34 (€43) for breakfast buffet discouraged me despite the extraordinarily friendly and pervasive service.

The staff were amazing, really, always floating nearby ready to jump into action at the slightest hint of a need and always a smile to greet you, even when only a glimpse of each other occurred. Only snag was that I sent a nice email re WiFi costs in reply to the welcome email I got but the hotel did not reply to my email.

Rooms are nice, with great views from "Barcelona's best hotel" as its reputation goes. I have to agree it's a spectacular place, just a pity they kind of ruin it with their pricing for extras, if you consider WiFi an extra these days.

Room Tip: High floor is a must to get the view.....
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Niels C
Reviewed March 28, 2013

When we arrived we were greeted warmly and everything was taken care of by smiling staff. We went to check in and someone showed my two girls where the hotel lays out candy every day (just a little, so ok). They were talked to like human beings by the staff, and they have really enjoyed their stay. Housekeeping is great, the room is a large size and adequate for our family of four (the "queen" beds are a bit small, more like American doubles, but it works).

Today in our room we found gifts from the staff. The first gift was from Emelie and Johanna who are at the front desk/reception area. They heard that we were going to be in Germany for several months and my girls were homesick (Americans living in Europe, vacationing in Barcelona). They printed out common phrases in English and German, hung American and German flags, and left a plate of cookies with my girls' names printed in what looks to be chocolate syrup. Then Sonia at the pool area also sent up a note saying what a delight my girls are and she sent a box with candy and cookies.

The hotel is a Ritz Carlton property and is what you would expect from a Ritz. Great service, nice room, expensive, good location (the hotel is basically on the beach, we have a Mediterranean Sea view, the spa is nice, the location in Barcelona means everything is easily accessible). But the staff REALLY seems to enjoy working here. The little extras, like talking to my girls or giving them some extra cookies or a little game really takes this from a hotel where the staff is nice to a hotel where they honestly care about you. If I could give them six, eight, or even ten stars out of five I would. And I wouldn't look elsewhere for our next stay in Barcelona.

Room Tip: All rooms will have either a mountain, city, or sea view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Wendytthomas
london
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Wow what an experience, amazing hotel, there seems to be someone saying good morning and good evening to us every corner we turned! lol, hospitality was fab! Staff amazing, we were upgraded as celebrating being together for 10 years! The hotel gave us an amazing room, with a CD, DVD player etc, we had a romance package, so when we returned in the evening, we had rose petals on the bed, bottle of Cava, chocolates, and candles!!!! Sooooo romantic and put us in the mood for some fun ;-)!!!
We had a fab time, stayed in the room more then we normally would! The casino is next door and some fab food places across the road, mexican, pizza etc!
The hotel is also beside the Port Olympico beach, being a 3 minute walk and beside the best nightlife, (all the top nightclubs like Catwalk, Opium etc).
Good restaurants.....good location, excellent service, and highly recommended if you want luxury! Room was amazing too!

Room Tip: Eat out lots of local places if your worried about high cost in the restaurants!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ranirahul
Herefordshire, UK
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at the Arts about ten years ago and, back then, I don't remember it being as grim as it is now. It has a very tired feel about it, and my room felt extremely dated and was rather grubby. None of this was helped by finding a heap of dirty towels on the bathroom floor when I checked in. I also didn't discover, until the early hours, that there was no spare loo roll and my plea to housekeeping fell on deaf ears. It was a nightmare working out how to turn the lights on and off because the writing had worn off the rather battered switch console, and (presumably) the air conditioning/heating had a few loose screws and rattled all night long. Paying for my extras the following morning took forever, particularly when trying to get the amount corrected as I'd mistakenly been charged €56 for a small bottle of water. When you want service, you can't get anyone to pay attention. But if you want to sit down quietly for a few minutes, the staff won't leave you alone. What a shame.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank rockstro
HotelArts, Manager at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear rockstro,

I would like to thank you for having sent us your opinion since it helps us to review and improve our offer.

I am concerned to hear that your room was not up to the excellent standards you expected and I ask you to accept my most sincere apologies. I am taking note of the issues you had with our housekeeping and service staff and I will check up on these shortcomings immediately with my team in order to remedy them as soon as possible.

It would be helpful to get some additional details on your stay and if you would like to get in touch with me I would kindly ask you to provide your contact details to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000 in order to give me the chance to contact you. It will be my pleasure to return your call or e-mail personally.

Thank you in advance and I hope to welcome you back soon in order to give you the entirely spotless experience you deserve.

Yours sincerely,

Brunella Zinato
Hotel Manager
Hotel Arts Barcelona
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Barcelona Spain. I was lucky enough to experience it when my husband came to visit after a week working in the city, and it was a relaxing and wonderful weekend escape.

We were treated to a beautiful suite with a large bedroom, living room, giant bathroom including a bath and shower, B&O stereo with its well used mobile cord for music, and incredible view of the city out over La Sagrada Familia, and also back over the beach. The staff treated us with special attention and care and looked after every request and or question. Their concierges really do know the city better than any I have spoken to, and their recommendations were faultless. The maid took and management took special attention to the details with hand made chocolates and rose petals each night of our stay.

I enjoyed the reprieve of coming back to this hotel and its facilities after a long day of walking and exploring doing the tourist thing in Barcelona's hustle and bustle.

This hotel is truly worthy of its Ritz Carlton brand, I cannot say enough positive things about it.

Room Tip: get an upper level room on the city side for the incredible views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple