“Excellent”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel Arts with my girlfriend and thought I’d put a few notes up on here for prospective guests.

On first arriving at the hotel I was greeted by name, how they knew that it was me I do not know, I have no id on my luggage but somehow they knew. The hotel has a curious layout, there is a lobby of sorts on the ground floor but the real lobby is one floor up and so we took the lift. The lobby is quite small, but there are ample staff to deal with your issues. There was a conference on while we were there and so a lot of ‘suits’ around, this is normal for a hotel of this repute, but if you don’t want this then go elsewhere. After completing the check-in process we headed for our room. A note here that despite pre-paying my room, the hotel blocks a further €150 a day for any expenses incurred. I did question this as I found this to be a little steep, but was told that the hotel was expensive, so there! Of course no money is actually taken until leaving but some might find this a little excessive.

To get to the rooms you head down another corridor to a bank of six lifts. Our room was on the third floor and was a good size. A big picture window and a great bathroom. I read that the hotel was refurbished in 2006, but the room does still look a little dated. There is a Bang and Olufsen CD player in the room, but who carries CD’s with them these days? The TV again seemed to be quite old, ours had two thick black lines across the screen and I can only say that it was phosphor burn where the same welcome screen had been on the TV for many a year and that this was now permanently marked onto the screen.

We weren’t there to watch TV, so this didn’t bother us unduly. The reception was right about the cost of items in the room, the Nespresso coffee machine was €4 a cup for instance. I know of no other hotel in the world that charges for in room coffee, but so be it. The corkscrew was also listed as a charge at €11, but I presume this was in case you took it and not for it’s use!

We needed some info about our plans for Barcelona and so headed to the concierge. Special mention must go to Oscar who was helpful and pleasant and informative. He even took the time on later days to ask us if we visited the attractions and if we had enjoyed them, this man was a real gem for the hotel. All of the staff were extremely pleasant I must also add and there were always plenty of them to look after your needs.

As the hotel is a little out of the centre we used the metro to get around. This a short walk from the hotel and €7 a day for unlimited stops. It is clean and safe, but there is a lot of walking sometimes between line changes so be aware of this.

Barcelona is a delight, the architecture and shops will keep most people busy for a week at least. To sum up then, a very good hotel, a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelArts, Gerente at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear tootiredtotango,

First of all, I would like to thank you for having taken the time to give us and forthcoming clients such a detailed feedback on your stay.

I regret and apologize for any inconvenience or anything inappropriate you might have encountered during your stay. Nevertheless, I am happy to hear that you have received a proper and pleasant service and you have had a positive overall impression. I can assure you I will let our employees know about the matters mentioned.

I would be pleased to have the opportunity of discussing your experience in more detail and I invite you to contact us calling +34 93 221 1000 or by mail writing to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com. I look forward to receiving your message and to answering your call or e-mail personally.

Thank you again for your message and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again.

Yours sincerely,

Brunella Zinato
Hotel Manager
Hotel Arts Barcelona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (924)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I recommend Hotel Arts Barcelona. We stayed for one night after enjoying a 10 day cruise. The service was exceptional from valet to check-out. They gave me a glass of water and some handmade candy while I was checking in. They also gave me a very nice Barcelona city map. Nice bathroom with soaking tub and separate toilet and shower areas made it easy for a family to enjoy. The ocean/city views from our 21st floor room were gorgeous. The bed was very comfortable. The restaurants were very pricey as were the in-room snacks, so better to dine in the city. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank gomccall
Burleigh Heads, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Staying at the Club Level at the Hotel Arts in Barcelona is a very, very pleasant experience. My guest room on the 33rd floor was clean, spacious and well appointed with a great view over the beach and the port. The bathroom featured a rainforest shower in a separate stall and had an excellent array of amenities. The bed was very comfortable and sleep quality was excellent. The highlight, though, was the really excellent Club Lounge which provided day long beverages and snacks of the highest quality. A really smart, sophisticated and quiet oasis away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the hotel the Club really felt like a home away from home. The staff in the Club Lounge were fantastic - very obliging, friendly and efficient; they really made my stay something special.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Danville, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I just returned from four nights at this hotel. We paid to stay on the club level and it was well worth what we paid. The room was lovely with amazing views and the food, drinks, and service provided in the club lounge were all top shelf.

We wound up taking taxis each morning to get us to where we wanted to start our sightseeing. We found the taxis very well priced with no trip being more than 10 euros.

The walk to the metro stop, while not that long is not particularly attractive, and we preferred to just get going.

The exception was the day we went to Montjuic Park. On that day we walked 20 minutes or so along the beach and then took the cable car right to the park. Beautiful views!!

The staff at the hotel is very personable and helpful. At times maybe too personable, in that there were times we wanted to just get going and they wanted all the details of how we had spent the day. Still, better than not caring.

We did not eat onsite, with the exception of the club lounge, so I can't help with that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

The location is a bit off, although that would depend on what you are doing. But it's always nice to be next to the ocean. Everything at the hotel is very expensive; instant coffe from the simple espresso machine in the room was more than 4 euro. The logistics were a bit weird; from the entrance you take an elevator one floor where the reception is. There you have to go around the corner to take another elevator up to your room. And to find your way back from the pool you need a GPS... Wouldn't stay there if I had to pay for it myself.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Arts, during our honeymoon. We Had been backpacking across Europe and this was our last stop. Upon our arrival, we definitely stuck out like a sore thumb, being surrounded by beauty and class. My wife and I were worried we would be treated differently, because of our appearance. To our surprise, every single employee we talked to seemed to go the extra mile and were extremely kind. Our stay was absolutely perfect, and it we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tattooedtravellers
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for a few nights while visiting Barcelona. Had a great corporate rate which made it easier to stomach the prices for everything while at the hotel. Breakfast was off the charts good and a great way to start the day (or recover from the night before!) prior to exploring the city. Didn't bother with drinks or dinner in the hotel, so many other wonderful options in the city.

I was meeting my girlfriend there after she'd been traveling for work. I was delayed a day so called ahead and the concierge arranged for flowers and a handwritten note to be awaiting her since I could not be. Nothing crazy but a really nice touch by a thoughtful concierge who seemed to actually care....not always the case.

The room was beautiful, a bit modern and sleek for what one usually finds in Europe. Very comfortable and had a great view of the water.

Only thing that would make me consider a different place if visiting again is the location. It's a bit of a jaunt to any of the things I found interesting in Barcelona (architecture, shopping, gothic district, etc). The water is beautiful and waking up overlooking the sea is nice, but not really why we were visiting.

Overall, loved it and would recommend to anyone visiting the city.

• Stayed September 2012