“A wonderful world-class hotel!”

Ranked #51 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“A wonderful world-class hotel!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My recent second visit to the "Arts" re-confirmed the recollection of my earlier visit: it is, simply, an incrediblly beautiful and nice hotel. The facilities are modern, yet traditional, and elegant, and tasteful!! The well-attired staff couldn't be more friendly or accomodative, or professional, but at the same time youthful and, generally, attractive to a fault. Rooms are stylish and spacious, particularly by European standards. And a lunch at the poolside restaurant can be, frankly, a marvelous way to spend the afternoon. The ONLY drawback to the Hotel Arts -- particularily if you're "doing" Barcelona -- is that the hotel's scenic waterside location is quite a bit off the beaten path and somewhat distant from La Rambla and many of Barcelona's exciting "happenings". But a world-class hotel, in any event!

Room Tip: The conceirge level(s) service is about as good as any in the world.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (930)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Hotel arts is a lovely hotel close to the beach.
Entry: beautiful entry with warm staff waiting to great you.
Rooms: Clean modern rooms. Plenty of storage space (great for Europe). large clean bathrooms
Views: Beach views are nice.
Area:Close proximity to Gaudi sites and beach area and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

This is definitely a five start class hotel with exceptional service and a perfect environment to replace the home environment for those active business travelers. The slightly confusing layout and the need to switch elevators is perhaps the only minor point I could think of but if you're then greeted by a big smile when the doors open, it makes you wonder why this can't be the norm in all hotels!

Breakfast is very complete and in a comfortable and spacious environment. Careful if you use the expresso machine in your room, the cups are €6 a pop but what do you expect. In room dining was timely and well served in particular when you are late arriving they will be very prompt in their delivery.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is my second visit to the Arts hotel and it doesn´t disappoint. The staff are very well trained and the service is excellent. Rooms and bathrooms are large and luxurious and the view brilliant. My only grip is the internet.... wifi is 25 euros per day in the room. Only 1 hour per day free wifi in reception! Paying a premium price this should be included. A minor issue only though when everything else is so lovely...

Room Tip: The higher the better. Views are fantastic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
dubai
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I consider myself not to be pretentious, I am a patient and a more than tolerant individual, I do not want something for nothing, I am polite and believe in good customer service and I treat others how I expect to be treated myself. To the latter end, I detail the following as I feel strongly about what I have experienced. I have not detailed the following in which to pass judgement or influence others but will leave you to make your own mind up wether the above property suits you/your family needs.

In short, polite front of house staff as are nearly all the staff.
Great entrance lobby and reception lobby surroundings.
Staff not proactive in looking after guests needs.
If you don't specify a high quality room you may find yourself in a sub standard room.
The hotel seem to have an AC problem in some rooms and on some floors.
Poor house keeping on certain floors/rooms.
Very tired rooms on certain floors.
Pool side, outside gardens and pool restaurant badly maintained and in need of major restoration. Constant smell of bad sanitation from nearby drains whilst on sun beds adjacent to the external copper fish sculpture.
Pool side staff welcoming and friendly.
Hotel Spar also very tiered and in need of a refurb, treatments not value for money or well received. I would question the masseuse's knowledge and abilities.
Club lounge food, check what you are eating. If you are vegetarian ask several times otherwise you may find that you are given meat as my wife was.
Club lounge staff, again most polite and welcoming. However, attentive the staff are not as I was ignored on two occasions after making reservation enquiries.
Management found to be challenging and not apologetic in the slightest.
In room H’orderves if you receive them, they may not be fresh.
Coffee Machine in the room left full with old water and was slimy and smelled, the hotel also charge for the privilege of you making yourself a coffee after you have even cleaned out your own machine. Same experience in two separate rooms..
Look beyond the initial visual eye candy and overall the whole property is in need of an extremely long overdue refurb.
The whole area outside and beyond the hotel is very run down and dirty.
The beach was littered with broken glasses and general cleanliness is low.
If you are looking for 5 star whilst visiting Barcelona one should consider the Mandarin Oriental as attention to detail and an proactive approach by all staff is what you will receive and one will not be disappointed. The area around the Mandarin is a stark difference to Ritz Carlton/The Arts Hotel and you will not be disappointed if you frequent the property plus great shopping experience and trendy wine bars/restaurants etc.

If I can pass on any advice, may I suggest that if you are unlucky enough to experience two issues/incidents when checking in to any hotel. Check out and find an alternative hotel as the experience inevitably only gets worse... The saying goes, two strikes and you are out.

Or, if you prefer, read the in-depth explanation of unforgettable experiences.....

Upon first impressions when arriving at the hotel via a private transfer from the airport that the hotels concierge had arranged I was pleasantly surprised. The ceiling to floor water effect outside the lobby entrance through to the polite and personal greetings of the staff as they wisked away your baggage and then ushered into the elevator to the first floor reception lobby.  Upon exiting the elevator, to the right was the hotels concierge desk and the left was the reception desk and in between to the back the general lobby lounge area. Overall the visual stimuli of what i saw was most pleasing and so far i was not disappointed, well proportioned furniture, artwork and floral decorations.

As soon as I exited the elevators  I was greeted by another member of the properties staff and shown to the reception/check in-desk. The desk was complemented by welcoming ladies and the polite professional approach was most welcomed/received. After the checking in process was compleate it was gesticulated to me as to the directon of the main building elevators so that I may get to my room. `straight down that corridor sir and to the left, take any of the elevators to your floor`. Ok, so one indiscretion and a laps in customer service, I was ok  with, even though the time was 15:00Hrs and I had been traveling since 07:00Hrs that morning. So that the experience could have continued it would have been nice to have been shown the way and the hotels amenities explained a little on the way as I did notice that there were plenty of staff in the reception lobby area, but as I said no deal breaker as I just wanted to chillax in the room after a shower and then off to one of the hotels restaurants. So I followed the polite and well mannered ladies instructions to the elevators as i passed some pleasing floor standing arts and floral displays. As I exited the elevator on my floor I noticed a distinct odour of dampness/mould in the air,  however more pleasing pictures an distinct arrangements were in front of me as I made my way to my room.

What I have not previously mentioned is that my wife and daughter were booked into the hotel and I had arranged to travel to them a few days later. The room was booked as a king and a single, upon their arrival the room that they were given was not to standard, somewhat tired as well as not being cleaned properly and had a stale smell all of which my wife previously informed me.  Upon learning the latter I contacted my the booking agent (well know western charge card operator of particular standing) and spoke to my  the travel concierge. I expressed my concern over the fact that the property was a 5 Star Grand Luxe property which they recommended to me and I asked if they could assist and  if necessary, I would pay for another category so that the problems could be resolved.  I was informed that they would speak to the hotel immediately and take care of the situation, 30 min later I received a call and it was explained that regretfully the hotel was fully occupied and that it would be taken care of the following day and my wife and daughter relocated to another room. This I accepted and was not a problem as sometimes things cannot be carried out as quickly as one would like and as it was a main holiday period I accepted the latter.    My wife opened the door and to my shock they were still in the same room! As I could now experience first hand what they had, it was not pleasurable. From dirty carpets, marked furniture, dirty inside windows, a bad odour, to bathrooms that had not been cleaned properly overall to name a few as well as the fact that neither of the beds would accommodate two adults, the experience was not forthcoming of a property of the advertised standing.

I called my travel concierge and even they could not believe what I was explaining, particularly after they had taken the time to speak to the hotel and make alternative arrangements. I swiftly said to my wife and daughter to pack as we were either moving rooms or hotels. I went down to the reception lobby and was greeted by a member of the hotel who said they were not aware of any problems and said they could not understand the problem. This only exasperated the situation as I was furthered asked to explain the whole incident and again be told that they said that they did not know anything was wrong. To which I replied please find us an alternative room that I can pay for or regrettably we will be relocating to another hotel.  Apologies were given and it was explained that it would be all addressed and could I give them a chance to rectify the problem. Half an hour later it was explained to us that an alternative room was arranged along  with adequate beds. We were then shown the room which was a suite, it was cleaner but still a stale smell on approach to the room and within the room. I can only assume the property has a problem with the ventilation system on some of the floors and rooms.  To top the next unforgettable experience was the AC in the room which had visible surface mold on the vents, the skirting on the floor was hanging off and the second bed in the room was a camp/fold away bed. My daughter was 18 and after explaining that the hotel were fully aware when they checked in and that the room was booked previously for 3x adults why were they providing this. I asked why could the hotel not provide a double and a single in the same room or if that was not possible I should have been offered when the reservation was made a double room with either a separate room or interconnecting rooms which I would have been happy to pay for. At this point I was told (in a round about way) that either my wife or my card company had mad a mistake and that it was not the hotels problem. However we could be shown another room, the latter part of the conversation I managed to contain myself and looked at the other room alone as my wife was somewhat distressed about the whole situation, this was much much better, no smell and presentable. I asked about a second bed as it was a room with a king size bed and was told again the hotel do not supply two beds in a room to which I replied the first room did, all be it that they were over sized singles but not suitable for two adults. This is not the hotels problem I was told and the conversation I was starting to have again was not what any guest should be put through. To which I replied, please, I do not want to be apart of this conversation, if you feel that this is the case please speak to my card company. The conversation again progressed back to it was either them or my wife that made the error and nothing to do with the hotel... At that point I was furious and although polite and barely being able to contain myself I asked numerous times that this conversation stop and it be taken up with my card company. It continued, I swiftly called my card company and was put through to the person I previously spoke to and explained what was happening. He then said please leave in to me and I will resolve the whole situation for you, go to the bar or for a walk and I will call you back within the hour. The conversation further continued from the room, to the elevators on the floor where I was again told that the hotel was not at fault and they needed to speak to my card operator. Eventually I firmly said please please, enough is enough, stop talking i am not interested in what you are saying and I will be taking another elevator.

Some 45min later after we went for a walk (to calm down) a call was received and my card operator explained that he had spoken to the hotels GM, my travel concierge was extremely sorry as to the whole ordeal we had been put through and a suite with an interconnecting room had been provided and I should not receive any further problems.

I will not procrastinate any further, nor go into any detail regarding the initial points listed at the onset, suffice to say that we will not be recommending The Arts Hotel to others nor will we be frequenting it again. Neither did we receive any form of an  apology from any member of the management.

The above details are not intended as a scathing attack on The Arts Hotel, but are to be used as a sound board for others to see how a hotel should not treat its guests and maybe, just maybe the Hotel Management may read about how it treats it's guests. There were other incidents that I saw unfolding before my eyes to other guests, but it is not for me to comment. I have been very fortunate to be able to stay at different hotels across the world some of the best and some of the worst. I have also detailed the best and the worse, I am not saying the above experiences happen to all guests staying at the above property but as commented to one particular hotel, `It is not important that you state you are the most luxurious hotel in the world, but would it not be more fitting to be the best hotel in the world`.

My patients and tolerance have been well and truly tested...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank 39Traveller
HotelArts, Manager at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear 39Traveller,

Thank you for having taken your time to send us this detailed feedback on your stay. Your opinion always helps us to evaluate and improve the experience we offer to our guests.

I seem to understand you have experienced many shortcomings during your stay and I can see we have not provided you with the excellent service we offer. I deeply regret that your visit to Hotel Arts was not up to the excellent standards you deserve and I ask you to accept my most sincere apologies. I would appreciate if you would allow me to personally contact you to hear more about your experience. If you agree, it would be very kind if you could provide your contact details to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000 – it will be my pleasure to return your call or e-mail immediately.

I look forward to your message or call in order to resolve the situation of your experience at Hotel Arts and I hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon in order to give you the spotless experience you expected.

Yours sincerely,

Brunella Zinato
Hotel Manager
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I recently had a conference in Barcelona and stayed a couple of additional days to enjoy beautiful Barcelona. I stayed at Hotel Arts for six nights.

First, the good--the location. It's right on the beach, walking distance from the zoo, the marina, and even, if you were feeling fit, the Gothic part of town.

The front of house staff was terrific. As other reviewers have mentioned, they have people milling about at the front entrance and upstairs at the reservation desk, whose principle job (from what I could tell) was simply to greet people and offer assistance. They were friendly, kind, and one of them even went so far as to remember my name. I really felt welcome.

The Michelin starred restaurant, Enoteca, is amazing. I had a fantastic meal there, dining al fresco and enjoying excellent service.

There is plenty of outdoor space--terraces, a pool and to the best of my knowledge, all the restaurants offered the option of eating out of doors.

Where I was let down was my room. I'd asked the girl at check-in if it might be possible to get a room with a sea view. She very kindly obliged. It was on a high floor and looked towards the north, so I could see not only the water, but the mountains. The problem was the room smelled strongly of mold. The furniture finishes in places were nicked so I could see the raw wood underneath, the rug was stained, and at least one set of sheets had holes in them.

What was most concerning, however, was the bathroom. It was large and beautifully designed. However, there were issues with the function of the space. One morning, nothing but hot water came from the taps of both sinks. This continued for nearly half an hour. So I brushed my teeth with hot water. I know it wasn't only my room, because I mentioned it at the conference I was attending and someone else mentioned they'd had the same problem. It happened again another morning during my stay, but the issue didn't persist for as long.

The shower in my room should have been a wonderful treat. It had a rainforest head and side sprays. However, the handle/dial operating the water temperature for the rainforest head was stuck in one place. You couldn't turn it =at all=, and the temperature was too high to stand beneath (in fact, the temp was so high that the handle/dial became too hot to touch if you left it on too long).

I called maintenance to come up and look at it. I left the workman alone, so he wouldn't feel as if I were looking over his shoulder. After a time, he came out and told me the problem was fixed. I said, "I can adjust it now?" He said, "It's in the middle." Technically, that was true. However, "in the middle" felt like the same temp it had been when I made the call. I don't honestly think he did a damned thing. So, for the five mornings I stayed at the hotel, I washed my hair by sitting on the shower bench and ducking my head under the side sprays.

Hotel Arts is a Ritz Carlton property and bills itself as a 5 star establishment. It's ridiculous for a property with that pedigree to be maintained in that fashion. What's interesting is that when I checked in, the woman who was being taken care of by the other front desk attendant was being moved from the room she was in to another room. I don't know what her issue was, but given my own experience and reading some of the other reviews on this property, it seems that some rooms are in better nick than others. I think it's a bit of a crap shoot for guests--you might get a good room; you might not.

When I return to Barcelona (and I will, because I =love= the city), I won't be staying here.

Room Tip: If you're put in Room 2606, ask to be changed.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank KMarieR
HotelArts, Gerente at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear KMarieR,

I would like to thank you for having taken your time to send us this detailed feedback which helps us to improve and reconsider certain key aspects of our Hotel.

I sincerely regret and apologize that we could not give you the spotless experience you deserve. Please accept my apologies regarding the plumbing issues and trust that I will take under consideration all you have mentioned on your review.

I would be pleased to have the opportunity of discussing your experience in more detail and I invite you to contact us calling +34 93 221 1000 or by mail writing to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com. I am looking forward to receiving your message and to answering your call or e-mail personally.

Thank you again for your message and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again in order to give you the excellent experience you deserve.

Yours sincerely,

Brunella Zinato
Hotel Manager
Boston area, MA
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed here to give a speech at a business client's annual meeting, but was impressed by the quality of the rooms. Elegant. The beds were comfortable, the shower was excellent as was the wifi. The view from a high floor was excellent. At the lobby level, the staff seemed to consist of a bevy of really attractive young women who were quite helpful -- their English was quite good, which is not always the case in Spain. I didn't use it as a resort, so can't comment on that aspect, but the feel of the place was very nice.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business