Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Pullman Barcelona Skipper(Barcelona)
View Hotel
Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona(Barcelona)
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
K+K Hotel Picasso(Barcelona)
Lyon Hotel(Barcelona)
4,942 results
All reviewsclub levelritz carltonbeautiful hotelluxury hotelconcierge desksea viewper daycorner roomhigh floortapassagrada familialas ramblasenotecaeurosinternconferenceport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I recently had a conference in Barcelona and stayed a couple of additional days to enjoy beautiful Barcelona. I stayed at Hotel Arts for six nights.

First, the good--the location. It's right on the beach, walking distance from the zoo, the marina, and even, if you were feeling fit, the Gothic part of town.

The front of house staff was terrific. As other reviewers have mentioned, they have people milling about at the front entrance and upstairs at the reservation desk, whose principle job (from what I could tell) was simply to greet people and offer assistance. They were friendly, kind, and one of them even went so far as to remember my name. I really felt welcome.

The Michelin starred restaurant, Enoteca, is amazing. I had a fantastic meal there, dining al fresco and enjoying excellent service.

There is plenty of outdoor space--terraces, a pool and to the best of my knowledge, all the restaurants offered the option of eating out of doors.

Where I was let down was my room. I'd asked the girl at check-in if it might be possible to get a room with a sea view. She very kindly obliged. It was on a high floor and looked towards the north, so I could see not only the water, but the mountains. The problem was the room smelled strongly of mold. The furniture finishes in places were nicked so I could see the raw wood underneath, the rug was stained, and at least one set of sheets had holes in them.

What was most concerning, however, was the bathroom. It was large and beautifully designed. However, there were issues with the function of the space. One morning, nothing but hot water came from the taps of both sinks. This continued for nearly half an hour. So I brushed my teeth with hot water. I know it wasn't only my room, because I mentioned it at the conference I was attending and someone else mentioned they'd had the same problem. It happened again another morning during my stay, but the issue didn't persist for as long.

The shower in my room should have been a wonderful treat. It had a rainforest head and side sprays. However, the handle/dial operating the water temperature for the rainforest head was stuck in one place. You couldn't turn it =at all=, and the temperature was too high to stand beneath (in fact, the temp was so high that the handle/dial became too hot to touch if you left it on too long).

I called maintenance to come up and look at it. I left the workman alone, so he wouldn't feel as if I were looking over his shoulder. After a time, he came out and told me the problem was fixed. I said, "I can adjust it now?" He said, "It's in the middle." Technically, that was true. However, "in the middle" felt like the same temp it had been when I made the call. I don't honestly think he did a damned thing. So, for the five mornings I stayed at the hotel, I washed my hair by sitting on the shower bench and ducking my head under the side sprays.

Hotel Arts is a Ritz Carlton property and bills itself as a 5 star establishment. It's ridiculous for a property with that pedigree to be maintained in that fashion. What's interesting is that when I checked in, the woman who was being taken care of by the other front desk attendant was being moved from the room she was in to another room. I don't know what her issue was, but given my own experience and reading some of the other reviews on this property, it seems that some rooms are in better nick than others. I think it's a bit of a crap shoot for guests--you might get a good room; you might not.

When I return to Barcelona (and I will, because I =love= the city), I won't be staying here.

Room Tip: If you're put in Room 2606, ask to be changed.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank KMarieR
HotelArts, Gerente at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear KMarieR,

I would like to thank you for having taken your time to send us this detailed feedback which helps us to improve and reconsider certain key aspects of our Hotel.

I sincerely regret and apologize that we could not give you the spotless experience you deserve. Please accept my apologies regarding the plumbing issues and trust that I will take under consideration all you have mentioned on your review.

I would be pleased to have the opportunity of discussing your experience in more detail and I invite you to contact us calling +34 93 221 1000 or by mail writing to hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com. I am looking forward to receiving your message and to answering your call or e-mail personally.

Thank you again for your message and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again in order to give you the excellent experience you deserve.

Yours sincerely,

Brunella Zinato
Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed here to give a speech at a business client's annual meeting, but was impressed by the quality of the rooms. Elegant. The beds were comfortable, the shower was excellent as was the wifi. The view from a high floor was excellent. At the lobby level, the staff seemed to consist of a bevy of really attractive young women who were quite helpful -- their English was quite good, which is not always the case in Spain. I didn't use it as a resort, so can't comment on that aspect, but the feel of the place was very nice.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We were recently invited on a work trip to Hotel Arts and stayed on the Club Floor. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and we had a most relaxing weekend. The pool area was lovely and the staff by the pool did everything to make us as comfortable as possible. The breakfast was great and very varied.

Room Tip: Club rooms are great and worth the extra
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2012

From the moment we arrived the level of care and service from all the staff was brilliant. We'd booked the Romance Special (well worth the extra few euros - beautiful decoration of the room and bathroom) and had a high level room on the 29th floor with great views out to sea. We were able to check in early and made good use of the relaxing grounds which after a hectic few days sightseeing was a wonderful contrast. I briefly misplaced my husband in the gardens and a huge thank you to the helpful members of staff who aided our reunion and made us feel like VIPs. The breakfast was included in our package and a great start to the day. For our budget the hotel is on the expensive side but it was worth every euro for the wonderful memories we have from our 24 hours there.

Room Tip: Consider the packages - may be cost effective
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Yes, I know it's a Ritz. Maybe that's what's wrong with it. I didn't come to Barcelona to stay in a Ritz. We stayed here one night to meet some friends we were heading out on a bike trip with - we stayed the previous 4 nights at Hotel Neri, so maybe I'm spoiled ( see our review of that gem).

Hotel arts is a modern, luxury high rise located on the waterfront, though a significant cab ride away from the liveliness of Barcelona's Ramblas, Eixample or Born neighborhoods.
It is typically American in all regards - both good and bad. Prompt, impeccable service, modern spacious rooms and a well fitted out club on floor 33 make for an impressive stay.... If you're in Chicago or Philadelphia. For my money, I want the benefits of that level of sophisticated service, but with a local flavor, and I'm sorry, but you can't get that in 33 stories of steel and glass. No heart, no soul. Move on.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Coloradodiner,

Thank you very much for sending us your opinion which I really appreciate.

I regret that we were not able to give you that plus on our service to make your stay memorable. We do try to excel in every aspect of our hotel service and I assure you to follow up on your feedback with my team.

Moreover, I would like to kindly ask you to let me know personally any further comments on your visit to Hotel Arts and I invite you to contact me at hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000 – it will be my pleasure to receive your observations and to return your call or e-mail.

Yours sincerely,