“One of my favorite buildings....”
Review of La Pedrera

Ranked #12 of 730 things to do in Barcelona
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Casa Mila, popularly known as La Pedrera, is a most unusual building, constructed between 1906 and 1912 by the architect Antoni Gaudí (1852–1926) and declared UNESCO World Heritage in 1984. Today it is the headquarters of Fundació Catalunya La Pedrera and houses a cultural centre that is a reference point in Barcelona for the range of activities it organises and the different spaces for exhibitions and other public uses it contains. A visit to La Pedrera, landmark building and container, gives us a better understanding and appreciation of architecture and transports us to the period when Antoni Gaudí lived.
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am a huge, huge Gaudi fan, I just love his style and design and La Pedrera is one of my favorite buildings. This was our second time to Barcelona and I was unable to tour it last time so this time I decided it was a must see. I found this tour via Viator and when I noticed it was a night time tour I figured this was the way to go.

Our tour guide was very good, she had excellent knowledge about the building's history and about Gaudi himself. La Pedrera is a spectacular building and the apartment we saw was just beautiful. There were no angles, just an ever shifting flow of wavy circular walls. I know if I lived there I would never want to move.

The attic and the roof top were really the true treats. In the attic space you could see where Gaudi used inspiration from nature to create his buildings. The attic walls had the appearance of a spine and ribs of a whale. The rolling roof top and the centurion looking chimneys appeared to be standing guard of the building. We noticed that from one of the outlooks on the roof and arch seemed to be framing Sagrada Família, Gaudi's current work in progress and probably masterpiece. It is too much of coincidence for it to be accidental and was probably by design to highlight his next work that was financed by this building.

After the tour we were treated to a glass of Cava and chance to spend time in one the buildings courtyards. it was a great night and a highly enjoyable tour.

There are newer reviews for La Pedrera

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This exceeded my expectations. Stepping out onto the rooftop will be one of the highlights of your visit to Barcelona. I spent at least 30 minutes on the rooftop admiring the views and Gaudi's work. The rest of La Pedrera is wonderful. I loved how the rooms were furnished. The smaller gift shop (not the big one on the ground floor) has some wonderful art nouveau gifts and charming posters of vintage Spanish advertisements. Loved, loved, loved this attraction.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Maybe it was because I saw the sagrada familia yesterday that this was a waste of money and the worst value for money attraction I have seen whilst travelling over the last 21 years through Asia , South America , Africa, Europe and Australia. The roof is of course beautiful , but most of it can be seen from the street, and the fencing whilst important for safety, was tacky and impeded views. The apartment was ok, and the attic was a complete waste of my time in Barcelona. Maybe if it was free I would consider it, but for 16.5 euros it is exorbitant to say the least.

3  Thank Christosfromoz
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This Gaudi house has spectacular rooftop views of the city, but the rest is forgettable. Go to Casa Batllo instead.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Iconic apartment building in the Eixample designed by Gaudi. Definitely worth the visit. We loved the roof top chimneys and the attic. Gaudi's innovative architecture is unbelievable.