“Beautiful Hotel in great safe area!”
Review of Hotel Claris

Hotel Claris
Ranked #64 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful Hotel in great safe area!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here only one night, in the Duplex Room, which is VERY roomy and spacious. They say it is a 5 star hotel, but to some westerners may give it 3 starts at best. Just Europe vs USA. The staff was friendly, the elevators scared me as they shut very abruptly and was a rough ride down from our third floor rooms, the rooftop terrace was beautiful but it was raining the night I stayed. This hotel is in a safe, beautiful, residential area but still within walking distance from major shopping, restaurants, and pubs. I would stay here again when travelling through Barcelona!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lauren B
Jlfernandez, Director General at Hotel Claris, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your beautiful words and I'm really happy to know that you enjoyed your stay among us.
I remain at your entire disposal for everything you will need in the future.
Receive my warmest regards,
José Luis Fernández

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We had happily stayed at Villa Real in Madrid several years ago and were even more impressed with our week's stay at the Claris Hotel in Barcelona. The location cannot be beat...an easy walk to sights and public transport, but much quieter than other more touristy parts of city. The hotel is quite elegant, but not too large, and the staff is very helpful and personable. Our room was spacious, comfortable and quiet, and the beds and linens were top quality We highly recommend their daily buffet breakfast, although there are many small cafes, bars and restaurants nearby. We will definitely stay here again and plan to try other hotels in the Derby chain.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
In the name of the Claris staff and myself, we all want to thank you for your kind words and we feel really happy to receive your feedback as a satisfied client.
Thank you very much and we remain at your entire diposal for everthing you will need in the future.
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

My mother and I have stayed at several other hotels in Barcelona but decided to try Claris hotel and will stay here from now on! We arrived late from the airport and were very tired and hungry, our bags were brought to our room and the concierge called to the roof top restaurant to make a table for us. The food was good (expensive) but the service made us comfortable and happy after a long day of traveling. The entire hotel is beautifully decorated and made me feel like I was staying at a spa. Our room was beautiful with large window. We had a small seating area which was unexpected and made the room feel very cozy and comfortable. The roof pool is very nice with views of the city. We enjoyed a beautiful day in the sun with cocktails and snacks. For me the hotel is in a good location because it is not too near to the loud gothic area and the ramblas but not a far walk. It is close to many restaurants and shopping. I would highly recommend staying at the Claris hotel and wish all of my hotel experiences in Europe were like this.

• Stayed May 2013
Jlfernandez, Director General at Hotel Claris, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review it is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.
My best regards,
lincs
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were lucky to get a great price on this hotel for 4 nights room only via Expedia. We were visiting the city to celebrate my 40th birthday. The hotel is in a great location in L'Eixample, just around the corner from Casa Batllo and Pg de Gracia. We arrived by cab and were immediately greated by the doorman who took our bags for us and up to our room. Reception staff were friendly, helpful and spoke great English. We were accompanied to our room by a member of staff who explained how everything worked. The staff were always friendly and smiling whenever we saw them. The room was on the 6th floor and was large and comfortable with a separate "lounge" area. We didn't really use the facilities of the hotel (which was a shame) apart from the terrace roof top bar. The cocktails were fantastic but were expensive. I have given it 5 stars however just for the experience. My husband had ordered champagne and chocolate stawberries for my birthday but the hotel also left another bottle of wine out with a card as well. A really lovely touch. The staff came to the room in the evening to "turn back" the bed. Just stick the Do Not Disturb sign on if you're not bothered about this, as we did after the first night. The location of the hotel is fantastic. Just one block from Pg de Gracia which is one of the main areas and where Gaudi's Casa Batllo is situated (a must see - see my separate review!). There are a few cafes and bars around the immediate area of the hotel and then once on Pg de Gracia you are literally spoilt for choice! We ate at Cafe Emma and Josephine for breakfast - both are within steps of the hotel (as opposed to the 23 euros for breakfast in the hotel). We also ate at Cafe Emma in the evening - again see my separate review. All in all, the hotel is a great base for sightseeing and I would not hesitate to recommend it or return again myself (provided I could get a good deal on it again). You are also just around the corner from the city sightseeing bus stops, which we used. La Predera is also just a short walk away. The hotel has a cocktail andf tapas bar and a roof top terrace restaurant. We had a drink in the bars but didn't eat there so can't comment on the food. A really good central location. Very happy to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elpLincs
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind review.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you again.
Do not hesitate to contact me directly in case you want to come back to the Claris Hotel.
Best regards,
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We loved everything about this hotel. The moment we were dropped off at the front door, the bellman was right there to get our bags and bring them to our room. The front desk staff were very friendly, upgraded our room, and made us feel welcome. The room was huge and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was big and the rainhead shower was awesome. When we came back from a day of touring, there was a bottle of wine & sweets waiting for us, which was so nice. We ate dinner in the restaurant on the roof, which was superb. We ordered a few things to try with wine and it was amazing. We had espresso & sweets downstairs the next day, and that was great as well. The included buffet breakfast was also very good with hot & cold choices, including eggs. This hotel was also in a great location. We walked everywhere. My only upsetting thing was that we could only stay one night!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
How nice is to hear from you with such a good news!!!
I want to thank you very much for your kind words and we feel really happy to know that you enjoyed your stay in Barcelona and with us.
Thank you again for taking tour time in writing us and I look forward to meet you very soon at the Claris.
With warm regards,
Milan, Italy
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I spent one long week-end in this hotel some months ago and I must confess that I discovered one of the best hotel I've ever been in. Service is excellent, the staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are big enough and very well designed. Even if it has been redesigned some years ago, this hotel's design is superb. Very quiet and just two minutes walk away from Passeig de Gracia with all its attractions. La pedréra (Casa Milà) is just around the corner, so is Casa Battlò. A good five stars. Can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carlo_Milan_Italy
Dear Guest,
It’s been really nice to accommodate you in our hotel!
I want to thank you for your extremely kindness with all the hotel staff and I’ll transmit to them your lovely message
My best regards,
Limousin, France
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

The hotel had the potential to be 5 star, but just didn't make the grade for us. The room was small, (i know its a city hotel but we paid for a superior room) there was not enough drawer space, the safe and the iPod docking station were faulty - maintenance had to come and fix it - which they did but that type of thing should have been checked in advance - the free WiFi was rubbish, very slow and kept throwing us out.

All that said, I liked the decor of both the rooms and the public spaces, warm rich golds and browns. The roof top pool and terrace were very welcoming after a days exploring. Bar prices are very high however.

Will try other hotels next visit over this one.

• Stayed May 2013
Jlfernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Claris, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Distinguished client,
First of all I want to thank you for your feedback as it is really important for us to receive it.
Regarding to the space of the room you had, let me mention that we also have any other rooms with different lay out and distribution that maybe would have been more appropiate for your needs. On the other hand we also have higher categories (juniro suites and suites) and I would love to offer you the possibility of upgrading you into one of these mentioned categories in your next visit to our city.
We take good note of your comments and for sure they will help us to improve.
Please contact me in your next visit, I'll be more than pleased to welcome you again at the Claris.
Sincerely yours,