“Superb”

Ranked #202 of 10,282 Restaurants in Barcelona
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Visited Barcelona for the weekend and was recommended this restaurant, so glad we went. Situated down a side street just off Las Ramblas we were invited to take a seat at the counter and for the next two hours we were treated to some amazing gastronomic delights. We chose to sit overlooking the kitchen area so we could watch the chefs at work and not sure what to order we asked our waiter to chose for us. After a quick discussion of hunger levels, likes and dislikes he put together a superb selection of tapas and wine that was a joy from beginning to end. The bill came to 80 Euro for the two of us which was money well spent. Would definitely return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Okay, so on the plus side, I think I had the best croquettes, the best tortilla (although they serve it as a real flat omelette), and best pork that I've ever had. The question, on the other hand, is whether it is worth it - we ended up at 45 euros per person. I don't think so. First, the restaurant just isn't nice enough for the prices. Service is loud, chaotic, and rushed at best. Yes, they are pretty friendly but the constant yelling and the tight uncomfortable space is, as their prices, not acceptable. They also quickly took away a seafood plate that we were still in the process of eating (it was so quick, we barely noticed until it was gone). We were seated by the bar and every time the waiters passed, they banged on my seat. Not to mention that people waiting for a table were basically hovering over us for most of the meal. The space just leaves much to be desired and negatively impacts the dining experience. And the food would have to be completely transcendent at those prices. But some of the dishes were unmemorable - the eggplant and honey which turned out to be thinly sliced eggplant chips with barely any honey. The seafood plate was unmemorable besides the deep fried herbs and lemon (nice touches, both). I don't get the hype. I had better (or at least as good) tapas in Girona at half the price in a nicer place.

1  Thank sheinwald049
Reviewed November 5, 2012

In Barcelona you seldom stumble upon the best places as tend to be well hidden down some dark, dingy alleyway. Bar Cañete is no exception to this rule - even though its address in Raval is surprisingly close to the culinary no-go zone known as Las Ramblas. From the outside it looks like an over-crowded hole in the wall but don't be fooled - this place is amazing!

Firstly, the food: delicious. We shared a selection of everything from steamed mussels to pickled anchovies, tuna tartare, chipirones with beans, jamón bellota, artichokes and lots more and it was all fresh, delicious and cooked to perfection. Service was great too (not typical for Barcelona).

A couple of words of warning: 1) not cheap by Barcelona standards but well worth it (expect to pay about €40 per person for food, wine and coffee), 2) either book or be prepared to queue, 3) take care of your belongings on Calle Unio.

This is without question my new favourite restaurant in Barcelona. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Fantastic tapasrestaurant in Raval quarters. We are so happy that we found this excellent place. Food is amazing, best I have eaten in Barcelona. The citchen is open and there is a lot going on there. The waiters are friendly and funny but do not speak english. Even though our spanish is not perfect we got great help with the menu and enjoyed some great tapas and seafooddishes. We will definatley go back here again. The place is very crowded. We came very late on a saturdaynight and got a table even without reservation. Lots of locals and a great crowd. Go here!!!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My cooking class instructor (from Barcelona Cooking- excellent) recommended this place to me as we were finishing up. From 1-4pm each day they have a 16 euro three course meal plus wine/beer. He (the chef) and his girlfriend go several times each week!
So the next day I walked over and wow...it was incredible.
The menu is in both Spanish and Catalan, but the guys behind the counter can help with questions. I got an egg/chorizo/potato hash to start with, the chorizo was chopped and it was delicious. The main was a seafood paella-like dish but with small, rice-looking noodles. Also amazing. I ate the whole pan. Dessert was a french toast-like bread pudding dipped in their sweet wine. Plus a glass of their great house rioja/tempranillo. Bill...16 euros.
Best meal I had in Barcelona and certainly best value. I would highly highly recommend!!