“A must-see in Barcelona”

St. Josep La Boqueria
Ranked #10 of 732 things to do in Barcelona
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This popular food market sells some of the freshest fruit, vegetables and seafood in Barcelona.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Wonderful, crowded, food market with so much to taste, see and smell! Fantastic fruit, lots of fresh fish, and delicious treats!

There are newer reviews for St. Josep La Boqueria

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We find the central market in the middle of Barcelona, in the walking street of the city.
The market has a lots of things to offer, bred, fruits, fish and meet, pero, what i loved at most, was the fresh juices, witch they are selling for 1.5 - 2 euro. If you going in the evening time /8-20/ sunday close, you can try them for 1 euro each. this kind of smoothies, are really fresh, self made, and they mixing a lots of really different fruits together, in the end those smoothies are incredible good!!!

You could see, all of the tourist been there, to try them, and everybody loved them! I try most of those smoothies in 3 days staying, nothing happend to me /diaria or like that/ so you should dont miss them!!!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

From all types of dried sausages, to cooked paella, empanaditas, tapas,and fresh juices, and sliced fruits ready to eat. It is just an amazing place to spoil your palette, savour the flavors you will never find elsewhere in barcelona, admire the colors of fruits/vegetables of sunny spain. The best stop was the jambon bellota and pata negra...took home a lot ! This covered market has everything ! A good place to find something for the family to taste a bit of barcelona, rather that buying them figurines/or keychains as souvenirs !! again, it could be crowded, so be careful when you are travelling with little kids..

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Spain:The Boqueria Market, as it is known today, has been through many phases of life. On the following words I'll try to give a faithful description of that rich history as we understand it. Where this market comes from is uncertain, what we are sure of is that it was born as a travelling market, placed in the Ramblas of Barcelona. La Rambla acquired growing importance as a pedestrian lane, and the market was set in the best place to attract the large numbers of passers-by and local inhabitants. Its location was threatened many times. In Catalunya, towns and cities have been founded around markets and the same rings true for La Boqueria. It originated as an open-air market, in front of one of the gates of the old city wall (Pla de la Boqueria) where fruit and vegetable traders from local towns and farms nearby would sell their products. The spaces inside the city at that time were too small to establish a big market of the current Boqueria kind and it was necessary to set them outside the walls.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The colors, noises and aromas of the market will put you in sensory overload. You can buy anything from smoothies, to fresh produce. from local foods to wines. The stalls are decorated beautifully and all of the sellers' wares are stacked to perfection. You can spend hours here taking in the sites. There is also a wine bar inside of the market which is great place to sit, relax and people watch!