See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Overall my stay at Madana B&B was not that unplasent, but we had problems sleeping because of the noise that came from ouside (the windows weren't soundproff). But that was't the only problem, because the bed was squeaqing evry time I or my husebund moved, and it felt like a earthquake :). Another problem was that we had no towels, and we dind't thouth to bring some with us, so we had to buy one. And it would have been nice if there would have been some maps of Barcelona an the B&B.

The other aspects are the one that I knew when I booked with this B&B

Lucia on the other hand was very nice and helpfull.

Date of stay: October 2011
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I would love to give Manada a glowing review because the hostess seemed so nice, but unfortunately, there were problems. The hostess was gone when we arrived and for the rest of our stay. The woman who worked for her was unpleasant. She spoke no language other than Spanish (no English, French, or German) and was not patient with our slow Spanish and would not listen. During our entire visit, this woman was the worst part of the stay. She seemed resentful of the guests, even though everyone was very polite and nice to her. We did not see anyone acting rude or disrespectful, yet she was ill-tempered and seemed irritated with her job.

The rooms were not air conditioned with no fans. It was over 37 degrees C/100 degrees F in our room and there was no movement of air. Thankfully another guest gave us a table fan on the second day of our stay, or we would have had to go find other rooms at more cost. If you visit during the hot months, avoid this place.

The rooms were not quiet. There was construction during the night, which was very noisy. There is also a fire station next door to the building, so at all hours many fire trucks leave with their sirens blaring, which is not peaceful at all. Don't stay here if you want quiet, or either wear ear plugs or visit during cold months when the windows can be closed.

Breakfast was really more a continental breakfast, and should have been described as such. It was certainly not bad, just not really what was expected since the advertisement we followed said breakfast was offered. It was fresh and good, however. One review we read claimed the owner was a good cook. All we were offered was toast, which may have been because the owner was gone. In any case, certainly not a real breakfast.

The room was quite nice and well appointed. The bedding was never changed while we were there, not a bother, but unusual. In fact, the room was not straightened or anything during our week there. The bathroom was cleaned daily.

When all rooms were occupied, getting into the bathroom was often difficult, a common occurrence in beds and breakfasts with only one bathroom and several rooms.

The location was desirable, close to the Pablenou neighborhood, which is simply lovely. The metro was very close and the beach a nice walk down Ramblas Pablenou. The price was low, but I would have paid more for a cooler and quieter room.

If you go during the hotter months, your room will not be a place for comfort. Make sure the owner will be there when you go because her assistant is a very unpleasant person.

Room tip: Don't go in the summer if you want comfort. No air conditioning and no fans. Rooms on the east side are away from the fire station, but on the busier street.
Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank PdxLMG
manada1, Gerente at Manada B&B, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2011

Dear Customer, thank you for your criticism, as it helps us to improve.

We would like to apologize for the unpleasant experience you have had in our B&B. Please let me comment some of the bad experience you have mentioned.

The person you had unplasent experience with has been replaced several months ago. And fortunately we now have a nice and caring person to care for our guests.

There are now fans in every room and the windows are double glazed for insulation. It is true that in the hot months it is usually preferable to keep the windows open, which involves listening to the sounds of the city. The fire station near our flat is one of the few small stations in town and quite rarely gets busy though I do agree that the occsional sirens can be unpleasant.

We clean all of all rooms daily and change sheets and towels every 4 days or earlier if the host asks us. We sweap the room and take the bin out and make bed for our guests. During your stay I disinquihly remember changing it for your daughter.

As for the breakfast, I am not sure what you mean by your comment on "real breakfast".
We aim to offer a simple but satisfying breakfast freshly prepared in our kitchen as a default and ask any of our guests for their particular wishes upon their arrival (which we try to satisfy within reasonable means).

Overall we are working hard on running our home as a clean, friendly place, where every customer is treated with kindness (as many other reviewers has kindly commented) and respect. And we try to do all that while offering a very friendly 10Euros per night (in your case).
Whenever our customers are not happy we to try to do our best to accommodate them (Which you too have experienced when we have offered you 10% discount and provided you with richer breakfast that was included in your price.)

I agree with your comments that travellers looking for higher comfort should look for higher class accpommodatin establishemnts in town. Meanwhile I sincerely believe that you cannot find a better value for money than the one that we offer.

Reviewed September 6, 2011

My family and I booked 2 rooms for 3 days at the Manada B&B at the end of July. This was our first experience in a B&B and we were quite pleased with it.

Lucia was a perfect hostess, welcoming, kind and attentive to her guests. Rooms, the shared bathroom and common areas were very clean. I quite enjoyed the balcony. It is simple, but cozy and you feel at home.

The B&B is located in the Poble Nou area, where you will cross many locals going about their daily life. The neighborhood made me feel as though I was truly living and experiencing Spain. My family and I especially enjoyed walks down the lovely Rambla Poble Nou. In the late evening, locals and some tourists meet for dinner or drinks. During the day, it's a 15 minute walk to the beach down a lovely street lined with shops, restaurants and greenery. We would not have discovered this area had we not stayed at the Manada.

If you're a light sleeper, you may find earplugs useful when sleeping with the windows open at night in the summer months, especially on weekends. The noise from the street did not bother me (no earplugs), but it did wake my family.

If you're looking for a clean, affordable place in a less touristy area of Barcelona, the Manada is definitely the place to choose.

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed a week at this bed and breakfast. The owner lives there with her family and there is only one bathroom. It was very clean and very connected to the rest of the city. We were happy there. The only drawbacks were the lack of air conditioning and one bathroom for eight people if her house is full. It was a bit tough to get in for a shower. The rooms are very nice though and Lucia is very helpful and kind.

Date of stay: June 2011
Reviewed March 26, 2011

A very nice stay, just like at home. Lucía makes a great effort at making you feel at home and confortable. Everything iss simple but cared for with no pretensions. The only draw back is the bathroom which is shared by all rooms, but its a question of having a shower at night time or get up first!
We will repeat!