“Great location and staff”

Eric Vokel Boutique Apartments - BCN Suites
Ranked #18 of 729 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Lake Forest, California
“Great location and staff”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My overall experience with the staff and amenities was great. The location was great; close to Sagrada Familia. The staff was extremely helpful and always smiling. I originally booked a one bedroom penthouse; however, when I arrived, I was given an apartment on the second floor. Luckily I had a hard copy of my confirmation, and the staff immediately moved us to the fifth floor.

The apartment itself is spacious with all the amenities and balcony that extends from the living room to the bedroom. The bed was a little stiff; however, it wasn't that bad that I couldn't get a good nights sleep.

Cons:
- We were provided only two bath towels and one roll of toilet paper for the seven days we stayed.
- The walls are super thin, so any movement above us or in the hallway (elevator) was audible in the apartment.
- Dryer took hours and hours to dry clothes. Even drying two bath towels took a long time. I've rented several apartments in my travels to Europe and it seems to be common.

We managed to overcome the minor inconveniences by going to the grocery which is a block from the apartment and drying our bath towels before leaving for the day.

To me, these are not show stoppers. I would definitely stay here again. The staff was wonderful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RalphJacildo
ericvokelbcn, Gerente at Eric Vokel Boutique Apartments - BCN Suites, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Mr Jacildo,

Thank you for such a good review.

We are glad that you enjoyed ypur stay and that you liked the decoration in Eric Vokel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Elena Lubián.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Feltham, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We booked Eric Vokel for 4 nights whilst over watching the Spanish Grand Prix. We were truly amazed by the quality of the rooms. They were extremely well furnished and very clean. The hotel is based down a small street away from noise and is only a 5 minute walk to the Cathedral where you are surrounded by shops, restaurants and the metro station. The staff at Eric Vokel were very helpful, recommending us places to go in the evening and explaining the train system to us. Their English is also amazing. The location was good, you had to travel a bit to go down to the coast but it would only a 20 minute cab drive which only cost us just over 10 euros. All in all very good value and we are already looking to make a second trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tayler D
Dear Tayler,

Thank you sooo much for such a wonderful review about Eric Vokel Bcn Suites.

We work hard everyday in order to get all our guests needs satisfied.

We are very glad that you liked the apartments and that you had a lovely experience with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you either in Madrid or Barcelona.

Enschede, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 9, 2013

it was a good apartment, the rooms are clean and big enough. But i have 2 complaints, the first was the noise from the elevator when the door is open, it is a load peeping noise and the second was that the breakfast was very poor, one coffee and one tiny croissant without any thing on it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.

I am glad that you like the size and decoration of the apartments.

I really apologize for the inconvenience the noise from the elevator may caused you, we will look into it to find a solution for that.

We do offer a continental breakfast as mediterranean way, I am sorry that you found it poor. Maybe next time you stay with us we can suggest you some others cafeteria to have a full english breakfast, which is amazing!

Looking forward to welcoming you in a near future.

Elena Lubián
glasgow
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed at these apartments for 3 nights with 13 friends and having been the one to make the initial choice I was more than happy with my choice.Without exception,everyone was delighted with the suites and congratulated me on my decision.They are spacious,clean, well decorated and appointed and very good value for money.The reception staff are extremely helpful and ready to answer any queries you may have.If I return to Barcelona I would happily rebook at the BCN suites.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen Eric Vokel for your stay in Barcelona.

I am glad that you and your friends liked the decoration of the apartments and that you had a very pleasant stay.

Let me also than kyou for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about us, we are here to help and satisfy all aour guest´s needs and that is what we try everyday.

Thanks for your attention.

With warm regards from Barcelona.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had booked well in advance to stay here. However, two days before we were due to arrive I received an email saying there had been a "change of direction". What this turned out to mean was that we had been moved from the accommodation we had booked into another property (apparently there was a plumbing problem and SOME guests had to be moved). The alternative was not where we wanted to be, so we had to cancel the booking and find another apartment at incredibly short notice. This caused an enomous amount of worry and inconvenience as everything had been prebooked, including transfers from the airport to the accommodation. At least we were not charged a cancellation fee!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank LillyRose29
Dear guest,

First of all I would liek to thank you for taking your time to write this review on tripadvisor, it is always good to know the concerns so we can improve them everyday.

I am terrible sorry for the inconvinience the issue you experienced caused you, but we did have a plumbing problem which was unable to be fixed.

I hope that you can trust Eric Vokel again and let us show you that we always try to do our best for our guests.

Swindon
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Cheerful, friendly receptionist, Helena was just about to leave as we arrived late after a problem with our pre-booked transport from the airport. Despite this being nothing to do with the apartments she stayed to see us settled in and answered all the questions about the apartment and places to eat. Considering that she worked 9am to 6pm shifts we were very grateful to her. She also proactively followed up on our concerns with the airport travel company and ensured that all the issues were sorted out.
The apartment was very clean and all the appliances fully functioning with a big handbook with helpful information. There was a useful pack of dishwasher liquid for the dishwasher or hand washing, 2 cloths and a washing machine tablet.
The bedroom was comfortable with big doors out to the double doors to the rear balcony. Everything had clean lines and was light and airy. The only minor concern was that the bathroom was very small, containing the toilet, shower and sink and no shelves for toothbrushes or make-up. The apartment’s only mirror was here too.

Room Tip: We were with friends who had a third floor room which was more spacious than ours on the sixth floor...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Thurtle family!

What a nice review from you!!!

Thank you soooo much for taking your time to write on tripadvisor, we always try to do our best and this is very helpful for us to improve.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, to be honest, it was a pleasure for me to host you in Eric Vokel.

We are looking forward welcoming you on your next visit.

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 24, 2013

First time visitor to Barcelona with my parents, so the three of us stayed in apartment #31, featuring two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a balcony. The quality of the decor is extremely high, no issues at all with the cleanliness of the apartment. Furniture was comfortable, well equipped kitchen area. Just some signs of usage but that is more than expected. Location is very good, in the Eixample area, less tourist and very more real, despite being a short walk away from the Sagrada Familia. Two metro stops are close to the apartments, with a choice of three lines (L2, L4, L5).

The main issue and why this property is only getting a four star rating is the quality of the building itself when it was built. There is very little sound isolation at all, the noise of the people above us just walking or moving furniture was loud. Somebody in another apartment flushing the toilet at 4am in the morning could be heard and did wake me up a few times. Now, I would not say I'm super-sensitive to sound, but being quite well travelled in Europe (despite this being my first TA review!) the sound proofing was poor. I can imagine the apartment block was purchased some years ago, renovated but the problem lies when the building itself was constructed. When asked at reception at the end of the stay I mentioned this and they apologised, to which I replied, "Well you did not construct the building did you?" with humour, it is beyond their control.

Service at the front desk was overall excellent and I will give a story at check-in which is not meant as a criticism but shows the high service level when something goes wrong. I booked the property directly with Eric Vökel and received a courtesy email a few days before arrival asking if I could tell them which time I would be expected to arrive and was advised the reception is open 9am - 6pm. I said I should arrive around 2pm, where in fact I arrived at 2.25pm due to a late flight. Upon arrival, the reception was closed, I could enter the building using the keypad following the instructions on the wall. Upon entering, no one was about and reception was closed. There is an automatic 24 hour machine to check-in but I wanted to settle my bill with cash, since naturally the check-in machine was credit card only. Next to the machine was a phone to call with any issues you may have, I dialled and was put through to a helpful member of staff who said that someone should be there in five minutes, if not to call back. After five minutes, still no one, so I called back and asked what was going on since it was between 9am - 6pm and reception should be staffed. However this is where the problem got resolved very quickly, I was told on the phone how to enter the apartment (I will not go into details here) and I was inside the apartment before settling my bill. When reception staff did return they called the apartment to apologise and asked me to come down to reception to settle the invoice. Despite being frustrated initially, I was very happy on how this got resolved very quickly and no harm was done.

The only other small issues were the lack of toilet paper (as other people on here have mentioned), it would not hurt to have one or two spare rolls in the apartment. There was no towel for the washing up (we already packed one). Finally the balcony was fine itself, but the view of other apartments from every side and looking at various washing drying was not exactly picturesque. But the balcony was not used much, we were too busy out exploring fantastic Barcelona.

When booking with the property direct, you receive free breakfast vouchers at a cafe a few minute walk away. Note there is no breakfast on Sundays but this was pointed out during the booking process.

Four stars is a fair rating, I do not think I would come back to this property but next time I would try Eric Vökel Gran Vía Suites which seems to get constant excellent reviews.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking you time to write all this review, it is very helpful for us to know what to improve.

I am glad that you like the decoration and furbishment of the apartments.

I am sorry that you experienced a noisy stay, as youu said, the building is very old but we are trying to fix that problem.

Once again thank you for trusting Eric Vokel Boutique Apartments, pelase, let us know whenever you come back for us to make your experience unforgettable!